Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip holder (on your belt) recommendations (627)

Vincerama

Hi guys, so I have a knockoff 4 post/8 clip holder for .45 acp moonclips (similar I guess to the North Mountain??) ... bought off eBay, seems fine and works OK. But I just picked up a 627 and want to run it in USPSA so that means needing a new way to hold the new moonclip. So to hold the ammo on the belt, I've seen some magnetic "racks" that look interesting. Speed Beez as an 8 post magnetic ($160) and Speed R Rack has a 7 post ($145) and the double alpha single clips are pricey, but you can get 8 of them in a "Combo pack" for ($180). Or ... I could get a four post double height non-magnetic on eBay for $90 or so. Any recommendations? If I didn't go nuts on "free hazmat day" at Powder Valley, I'd just buy the DAA singles as they look like the best. I mean, I guess I could hobble together something as well, but ... well, buy once cry once, right? I think I might actually be able to just stick the .38 special moons on the .45 rack I already have, I haven't tried but I do know the .45 clip holder has a thinner post.

Any experience with any of these? Anything to stay away from? Thanks!

V

I have the Speed R Rack and love it. If you’re as cheap as I am you can order one without brackets for $120. The only caution is it was harder than I thought to drill holes in a DAA outer belt.

I made a set of posts out of oak dowel and magnets from Apex magnets.

They've held up for 5 or 6 years with out a problem.

Got the dowel at HD or Lowes they both have oak/ hardwood dowels 

37 minutes ago, revoman said:

http://www.moonclipserver.com/

take a look at this one and you will also need to add a couple of North Mountain single post if you have to load from a table 

This is the setup I went with for my 627.  I'm just starting out in revolver but the ability to pull those moons from the same place works for me.

Kraken Fan #69

I love my Speed E Rack, and the people that make them are diehard longtime revo shooters. I picked up a Double Alpha single post that I wear behind my holster in case there is a stage where I have to go prone.

47 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I love my Speed E Rack, and the people that make them are diehard longtime revo shooters. I picked up a Double Alpha single post that I wear behind my holster in case there is a stage where I have to go prone.

Now who would make you do that.😁

I currently use a North Mountain moonclip holder, but keep thinking about selling it and buying the Double Alpha magnetic holder. It seems that our local USPSA match usually features 1 or 2 stages where the shooter must start with all moonclips on the top of the barrels. The Double Alpha gives an advantage on these stages.

Wow that moonclip server looks pretty cool!  more choices to make now ... Thanks guys!

V
They load slow off the table, so you should also grab a pair of posts for behind the hip.

I load strong hand, so I put a pair of the kydex posts behind my holster. The first 6 moons come off the moonclip server, when it's empty my hand sweeps back and finds another moonclip.

A couple old bent moonclips on the bottom of your posts make table starts faster. At make ready, you pull them up to the top of the post. This holds the past open wider to load easier. I stack 2 moons on the table and slide it onto the holder. I can hold 4 moons on the posts and then load the gun for 5 total. If I'm shooting a 6 shot, I can drop a single moon onto the moonclip server for 6.

12 hours ago, swordfish said:

I haven't had to go prone since I got mine but it is a concern. (Hoping no MD's read this that I shoot with) Confused how the single behind your holster mitigates this? Since I load moonclips weak hand, I've got my rack to my left leaving a gap from my navel to the holster to lay on.

20 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I haven't had to go prone since I got mine but it is a concern. (Hoping no MD's read this that I shoot with) Confused how the single behind your holster mitigates this? Since I load moonclips weak hand, I've got my rack to my left leaving a gap from my navel to the holster to lay on.

I load strong hand. If I go prone, I don't want to bend any moonclips so I load from behind my holster and keep my rack empty.

43 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I load strong hand. If I go prone, I don't want to bend any moonclips so I load from behind my holster and keep my rack empty.

Got ya. I was more worried about bending the rack than moons. I was actually thinking of adding a single on the left behind my rack to give me an eighth post and something that would be well out of harms way (maybe even keep the make ready moon so I could sight picture, etc.) Thanks for the good suggestion.

17 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Got ya. I was more worried about bending the rack than moons. I was actually thinking of adding a single on the left behind my rack to give me an eighth post and something that would be well out of harms way (maybe even keep the make ready moon so I could sight picture, etc.) Thanks for the good suggestion.

I run the Speed E Rack and it's built pretty tough. I had an idea to make one myself using lighter components but after going prone on one, I don't think it would hold up. The steel/aluminum construction is the way to go.

4 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I run the Speed E Rack and it's built pretty tough. I had an idea to make one myself using lighter components but after going prone on one, I don't think it would hold up. The steel/aluminum construction is the way to go.

Yes, that's what I have too. Again, I have not had a chance to "flop" test it yet, but I'm a big guy and that's lots of force to put on it.

44 minutes ago, Vincerama said:

I walked into my work shed, looked at the mess and unfinished projects laying around and decided to buy the moon  clip server because I’ll never build my own rack. The truth hurts!

I feel your pain.   (I am building the 2 post holders for emergency use when the stage plan fails though.   A Buddy got the wrong posts by accident and gave me them.)  I do like my Server though.   One thing, you have to "tier" the moons so they first one out is "on top of" the second and so on.   I made some brass spacers to allow me to not have to worry about that.   Load one moon between 2 spaces and go.   The server isn't any good for a table load anyway so I figured what the heck.    Works for me so far in practice.  We'll see in a match in May.

Good luck

Kraken Fan #69

Edited by KrakenFan69

My opinion is you really can’t go wrong with any of the above choices. The double stack post versions seem to be the most popular where I shoot, but I’ve never heard anything negative from anyone else’s choice. Enjoy!