Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 507c vs DeltaPoint pro

Superpipe9

I've had a DPP and currently have the 507.  The DPP has a larger window, but dot brightness is similar.  The 507 is very tough based on the testing I have seen.   The circle dot can be nice to have.  Battery life is practically forever.  

Purely for competition I think the DPP is better, but for carry I will take the 507. 

1 hour ago, chevrofreak said:

I've had a DPP and currently have the 507.  The DPP has a larger window, but dot brightness is similar.  The 507 is very tough based on the testing I have seen.   The circle dot can be nice to have.  Battery life is practically forever.  

Purely for competition I think the DPP is better, but for carry I will take the 507. 

Thanks for the reply. Is the size difference pretty big or just very minor? Do you like the single dot of the DPP or the reticle of the 507. 

Just now, Superpipe9 said:

Thanks for the reply. Is the size difference pretty big or just very minor? Do you like the single dot of the DPP or the reticle of the 507. 

The DPP is fairly significantly larger.   It is pretty close to being between the 507 and 510 in window size.    I run my 510's and my 507 in dot only on all of the guns that wear them.  I like a single 2MOA dot, personally, but the 507 also has a much smaller ring than the 510 so it is easier to find in the smaller window, and at closer ranges the circle can make it easier to center on the A zone of a metric target. 

8 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

Do any of you guys think the circle dot gets to busy?

It can be, but you can turn the circle off, the dot off, or run both.

The more you use it the more you get used to it.   Not running it brighter than needed helps. 

On 3/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, chevrofreak said:

Owning both, I second this. 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, chevrofreak said:

I also own a couple of both. I will second this statement. 

Is the 507 available post-recall?

I've been waiting for one of the big distributors (OpticsPlanet, Brownells, etc) to have them back in stock, hopefully meaning they've burned through the old recalled stuff, but I haven't gotten any notification emails.

Edited by be032

6 hours ago, be032 said:

I've been waiting for one of the big distributors (OpticsPlanet, Brownells, etc) to have them back in stock, hopefully meaning they've burned through the old recalled stuff, but I haven't gotten any notification emails.

Looking on the website now only shows the 507cgr so it’s a green reticle and they are showing a new 508 coming out in a couple months so I think they dropped the normal 507c

20 hours ago, be032 said:

I got my 507 a few months ago after about a three month backorder.  I just ordered one for my soon to be new carry gun (CZ P10C Optics Ready) and it said "extended backorder".

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

FYI - I love my 507C but I don't like that it has to be removed to change the battery.

Serious question, have you ever had to change the battery?? I was under the impression that the solar cell would extend the life of the battery and this wouldn't have to be done all that often.

6 hours ago, S391 said:

Serious question, have you ever had to change the battery?? I was under the impression that the solar cell would extend the life of the battery and this wouldn't have to be done all that often.

They have auto-off, auto brightness and up to 100,000 hour battery life.  I am not going to worry.  

16 hours ago, S391 said:

I don't use solar mode because it's not bright enough for matches in the Florida sun.  I keep it in manual mode so I can control the brightness level.  I've had the sight less than a year so I haven't had to change the battery.  Obviously batteries do fail and if I have to change it during a match, it's going to suck.

4 hours ago, Slide4949 said:

so the solar only works if your in auto mode?

I just found this on the Holosun web page:

"How do the solar optics work? – In automatic mode our solar optics automatically switch to battery power whenever there is not enough light available to power the reticle. In manual mode, the optic will always use battery power. The “solar panel” on top of our optics is actually a photo-diode array (basically a light sensor). It controls both the auto brightness adjustment and provides solar power to the product. Sometimes our customers try to test if battery power is working by covering the panel to see if the reticle will still be there. The problem with that test is that you trick the optic into thinking that you are in very low light conditions. The optic then lowers the reticle intensity down to night vision mode, which means that the user is unlikely to see the reticle in normal lighting conditions. The best way to test if the battery is taking over is to go into a pitch black room and see if you still get a reticle. (In darkness, you should be able to see the night vision intensity setting.) Since the solar panel is also the light sensor, be careful not to cover it up when testing reticle brightness. Also, keep in mind that the reticle intensity will be set to the lighting conditions of the shooter, not the target. If the target is in very different lighting conditions, you should switch the optic to manual mode and adjust the brightness to the appropriate level"