Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to CZ's , assistance needed

NickAument

Ok went to LGS and it got confusing. They had a nice selection but kid behind counter was clueless, no criticism as so was I !!

They had a serious selection over 20 models which led to some confusion.

I have an old CZ75 and was thinking of getting something a little spiffier.

Looked at CZ TS Orange and SP01 Shadow orange....... looked like almost the same model

is one an older version or ?????

He tried to talk me into a Shadow 2  Blue ? Guess it was called that because of the blue grips on it??

What's the basic diff's between these or is there something else I should look at ??

my thanks in advance

TSO:
15z_CZTacticalSportOrange_R_91260_91261_

The TSO has a 5.1" barrel, a sub two pound SAO trigger out of the box and a wider frame to accommodate high capacity .40 mags (capacity in 9mm is unchanged).  The perfect CZ for USPSA Limited in .40

SP01 Shadow Orange:

91165_cz-75-sp01-orange.jpg

The SP01 Shadow Orange is a standard frame with a 4.5" barrel and DA/SA trigger, a great pistol for USPSA Production.

Shadow 2 Blue:

Shadow2.png

The Shadow two is the hot new Production gun in 9mm, similar to the SP01 Shadow, only with sharper checkering like the TSO, a slightly longer barrel (4.7" I believe), and considerably heavier.

My personal preference is for the SP01 Shadow over the Shadow 2, but I'm an Open shooter 🤣

The biggest difference between those pistols is that the TSO is single action only, the SP-01 Shadow Orange and Shadow 2 are both DA/SA.

The TSO in .40S&W is geared towards USPSA Limited division where you can start with hammer cocked and safety on. The 9x19 version is geared towards other shooting sports like 3Gun or Steel Challenge where there isn't Major/Minor scoring so there is no reason to handicap yourself with lower round count. 

The SP-01 Shadow Orange or the Shadow 2 are both geared towards USPSA Production division where you have to run a striker fired or DA/SA pistol. The TSO and Shadow Orange may look similar but if you picked them up I am sure you noticed that the TSO has a much larger grip and has a <2lb trigger pull. 

The SP-01 Shadow Orange is just a heavily spiffed up SP-01 from CZ's custom shop geared for competition. If you look at pictures of the SP-01 Shadow Orange [https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-sp01-shadow-orange.html] vs pictures of the Shadow 2 [https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-shadow-2-black-blue/] you'll notice the Shadow 2 has an undercut trigger guard, adjustable rear sight, a paddle style safety, a slightly longer barrel, and some other minor differences. Basically the original SP-01 Shadow was a really popular competition gun but they decided to make some tweaks to make it even better; that's the Shadow 2. The Shadow 2 is a great gun but people still generally do some tuning to it (swapping out some springs, polishing internals, etc.) 

It depends on what you plan on using it for.

TSO and TS in 40s&w is perfect for limited division.

The Shadow 1 orange is very over priced for what you get. Standard shadow with parts for CGW or CZC will get you a better trigger for alot less money.

The Shadow 2 is a great gun for the money. Only needs some springs and ext firing pin. All that under $40

If your looking for a production gun I would highly recommend the Shadow 2. If the grip works for you.

I have big meat hooks for hands so I like the shadow 2. 

If you go with a Shadow 2 make sure its #91257

18 hours ago, je85 said:

If you go with a Shadow 2 make sure its #91257

Is this to say the grey version is somehow different? The gun store near me stocks the grey ones and I haven't seen the black/blue ones before.

All good guns, S2 and S1 Orange both superb for production. Choice should be based on what is preferred as for grip / comfort. Orange more expensive though. TSO is fraying awesome for a standard gun. Some (like me) think trigger is too light (can be solved) out of the box! Succes!

3 hours ago, jmtyndall said:

Is this to say the grey version is somehow different? The gun store near me stocks the grey ones and I haven't seen the black/blue ones before.

Make sure it has the relief cuts.

The frame on the right has them. Thats what you want.

Image result for shadow 2 relief cuts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...