Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major

wingnut

Since you're new to OPEN, I'd suggest WAC or HS6, to start.

There are some new powders that are supposed to be very good, also,

like Lovex - I have no personal experience with them.

If you're new, start out slowly and get the basics right before working up

to PF 172 or so.   Have to have a chrono.   Start at PF 155 or so, and work

up slowly to desired level,   AND, have fun - welcome to OPEN.     :) 

13 hours ago, wingnut said:

New to open. Looking for powders WAC or Silhouette. I an using MG 124s and Blazer brass. What powder would be your choice ?

I use both plus HS-6

STI Custom built 5”

Montana Gold 124gr JHP

1.165 OAL

CCI SRP

Mixed brass

AutoComp 7.0gr 172 pf 

Silhouette 7.8gr 171 pf 

HS-6 8.4gr 173 pf 

Of the two proposed, I prefer Silhouette.  It is less dirty.  In reality, you could flip a coin; they are that close.  I recently switched from Silhouette to Major Pistol powder (canister Lovex 37.1) and will never go back.  It is much slower, softer and flatter.  For some reason it smokes less and burns cleaner.  I could literally reuse the brass without tumbling it again.  Another good reason is if you load long (1.161+") you make major at or near SAAMI max pressures, so it is safer.  With anything slower than 3N38, AA7 or MP, you will be way over.

Before you lock yourself into a single powder, you should try several.  They all feel different.

3n38, AA7 or HS6 should really only be the three powders we're talking about with this topic anymore. With the bullet started, 9.8ish grains of AA7 should be good to go

Edited by sstephns

What????

3n38 is too bulky, and ends up being compressed to the point of pushing the bullet out slightly. 3n37 is more popular.

Silhouette is used by a lot of open shooters, as is WAC.

Even CFE is a good open powder.

10 hours ago, sstephns said:

3n38, AA7 or HS6 should really only be the three powders we're talking about with this topic anymore. With the bullet started, 9.8ish grains of AA7 should be good to go

Pretty broad brush there, I would have to disagree.  I have not tried 3n38 as I load w/ a Mark7 and don't feel like cleaning powder, but the other 2 are ok.  HS6 has serious dot noise vs WAC and WAC was also a flatter for me.  Did not feel any softer.  I really don't chase softness as all I really care about is that the dot comes back exactly where is was as fast as it can(I know it is more than powder choice).  AA7 was ok, but way too dirty for me.  Did not make enough difference for me to stick with it.  It works for some and that is great. Have not tried lovex or silo yet.  I have tried CFE and it is very similar to WAC. 

Edited by echotango

I have tried WAC, HS6, 3N37, and N350 with 115g and 124g bullets for 9mm Major.  I think 3n37 is my favorite but HS6 is much less expensive and is a very close second for me, so I am using it, now.  The Lovex 37.1 sounds interesting to try; the next big order I make from PV I will pick some up.

Montana Gold 124gr JHP (no idea why but the JHP went faster then the CMJ)

1.165 OAL

CCI 

Sorted headstamp brass to keep things somewhat consistent without trimming.  

Hodgdon LongShot 7.9 grs for ~1400 fps (I think its softer and I use Longshot for most of my calibers)

This data is from Minnesota, I had to change my formula when I moved from Colorado to Minnesota.