Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
JGT

USPSA carry optics clarification

I've got a glock 19 rmr that I'd like to try out in the carry optics division. I've tried reading the rules and I think I know the answers to these questions but I'd like to know for sure before I show up to my next match.

1) I have a small ledge cut into the frame for my support-hand thumb. I've heard this called a thumb ledge / accelerator cut / gas-pedal. Is this legal in USPSA carry optics? If not, is there anything that can be done to make the gun legal for the division? It's actually my real carry gun, I didn't get it for USPSA. The cut isn't even that useful but I wanted to try it.

2) I switched up my belt for use in a specific outlaw match near me, and I have put a safariland UBL mid-ride drop on my holster (used to be mounted directly at the belt line). My glock 34 still has the heel of the butt of the grip above the top of the belt when holstered, but my glock 19 is very close to being even with the top of the belt, to possibly / marginally under the topmost level of the belt. Is this legal? If not I guess I'll switch it back, but I do like the slight drop.

Thanks for the help, feels like you need a legal degree to interpret the written rules sometimes. Much easier when you just see it in person.

1) The thumb ledge is not legal for CO. I don’t know how to make it legal again. 

2) You’ll have to switch it back. Here is the rule that covers this:

• The drop offset type holster is allowed in Carry Optics Division as long as the heel of the butt of the gun is above the belt per 5.2.7.2 and the rest of the criteria are met.

Hope this helps. 

Yeah I was afraid of that. Looks like I'm out of luck on both counts! Thank you for the swift reply.

You could always play in open if you just wanna fun it in a match. 

I am debating between going open with the 19 or sticking in production with the 34. There's a bunch of really outstanding shooters at the local matches including GM's and national champs so either way I'm not gonna win, I just do it because it's so darn fun. The red dot is awesome though, I love that thing.

Just run the 19 rmr in open at couple local matches and compare your scores against othe CO shooters.    If you like it enough, you can pick up a g19 lower or build a dedicated CO gun on a full sized frame. 

8 hours ago, Wideload said:

Just run the 19 rmr in open at couple local matches and compare your scores against othe CO shooters.    If you like it enough, you can pick up a g19 lower or build a dedicated CO gun on a full sized frame. 

Yep.