Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140 mm SV magazine recipe

dvc4you

Hello,

Need to put together a 140mm SV magazine for maximum capacity in Open 9mm Major. I am using Grams internals, what basepad do you recommend? How many rounds reloadable?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since 140’s in Open don’t have to fit a gauge you can pretty much put anything you want on it. Probably a 7mm TTI since that’s what I run and know it gets me 22 reloadable in STI tubes

I have 4 of the old style SV 38/9 140 mags with Grams springs and followers and Grams 11 mm base pads for my 9 major open gun. I get 25 rounds to start in them if I use the regular 11 coil Grams spring and 24 rounds reloadable, if I use a longer Grams 13 coil spring. The 11 coil springs have been reliable, but the 13 coil springs give an extra measure of feeding force in that regard, although down a round. I have the 13 coil springs installed now and down the one round has not made much difference in my experience.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:51 PM, Whitefish said:

I have 4 of the old style SV 38/9 140 mags with Grams springs and followers and Grams 11 mm base pads for my 9 major open gun. I get 25 rounds to start in them if I use the regular 11 coil Grams spring and 24 rounds reloadable, if I use a longer Grams 13 coil spring. The 11 coil springs have been reliable, but the 13 coil springs give an extra measure of feeding force in that regard, although down a round. I have the 13 coil springs installed now and down the one round has not made much difference in my experience.

what he said, Grams all the way

Hello: Use the Grams follower with the 170mm spring and a Dawson para base pad. It will fit the gauge and give you 27 rounds. Thanks, Eric

This is worth trying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grams followers and springs are of his design from a long time ago(20+ years)  taran followers are from when he purchased everything from Bolen and later when he imitated Grams follower design.

Anybody find taran followers to give problems bs grams? I grabbed a couple tartan followers when they were on sale. Seem to be similar Just curious if taran are worse than grams. 

All I run are TTI springs and followers in my MBX mags, zero failures. I DO run Grams guts in my STI Limited mags though.

This thread got me thinking about my 140 9mm open mags. I’ve been using Dawson bases & Grams guts, getting 23 just by slapping it all together. I just got a Cheely E2 grip, and was concerned the Dawson’s wouldn’t fit, so I swapped some Arredondo extended bases onto them and I now get 25. The one Grams 11mm base I have gave me 24. 

• 4 weeks later...