Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Onepocket

Next Level GM

10 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Im a local GM. This is pretty obvious if you pay attention.

USPSA Classification system is 95+% based on static skills. Majors are more about movement. Entry and exit being the best things to save time on. USPSA barely tests those in the current classification system. Until that is fixed, you will always have Paper GMs (Myself) and Real GMs (Guys who win Lvl 3+).

I am really impressed with your post.  In my unimportant opinion, everyone who didn’t flat out cheat and made GM, deserves respect.  I can’t imagine anyone has made that classification without putting in a lot of hard work.  You must also possess a very high level of basic skill (draws, transitions, reloads,etc.) to make GM and that should never be disregarded.  I believe it takes a lot of character to acknowledge that even with that level of skill, our classification system doesn’t completely reflect what skills are necessary for match performance.

At my local club in New York, about 7 years ago I asked one of our top shooters

what his rating was - and he said he was an "A" shooter (1911 and Open).

I asked if he was going to try to make "M", and he said he just didn't have the

time or money to go from "A" to "M".

Takes a real commitment to get to "M" - can't even imagine what it takes to

get to a "Low Level GM"    -    much less a "Top Level GM".

Lots and lots of work and money I’m sure. I’d love to be there one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great point. I firmly believe that anyone can get there if they’re willing to invest the time and money. Steve Anderson mentioned on either a podcast or the shooter summit that it took him 1500 hours of dry fire (not sure about live fire). If you dryfire 15 minutes/day it will take 16 years. If you dry fire 8 hours/ day you can do it in 6 months :) Rob Leatham also said when asked about dry fire that there is no substitute to watching the sights life 1,000,000 times in live fire. At 15 cents a round that’s $150,000!

Actually, this thread just reminded me of the shooter summit. Hours of discussion with top GMs on what it takes to make gm! https://shooterssummit.com/

I think the difference is consistency. Given 5 tries the local GM can shoot the stage in the same time as the top GM. The top guys can just do it on the first try almost every time. Usually the hits are pretty close, its the time that differs. People that always blame the difference in time on the athletics of other shooters are also usually wrong. Better consistent shooters beat athletics 99% of the time. This in no way is shitting on local GMs, they are usually crushing every and all locals. As far as other classifications go who cares thats a whole other animal. 

I think the difference is consistency. Given 5 tries the local GM can shoot the stage in the same time as the top GM. The top guys can just do it on the first try almost every time. Usually the hits are pretty close, its the time that differs. People that always blame the difference in time on the athletics of other shooters are also usually wrong. Better consistent shooters beat athletics 99% of the time. This in no way is shitting on local GMs, they are usually crushing every and all locals. As far as other classifications go who cares thats a whole other animal. 

People who cant compete at the top level discussing what makes them better without having the knowledge to actually dissect what makes them different. This thread is hilarious.

I can tell you right now I can shoot a stage 100 times and might still never beat JJ or Tilley or Jorge or Whoever you want to say is the current top heat. Its a lot more than consistency. Also... KC wins despite being very inconsistent. He literally out runs his mikes... Has been doing it for years.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Onepocket said:

Lol PaperMax. Maybe you should be more open minded and you might be more competitive. 

🤣🤣🤣.... Even my license plate says PaperGM...

22365150_10159317635845459_6265521571043045477_n.jpg.9230b810f643799f1b7a3e7feef8a6e0.jpg

Edited by Maximis228

Guess I'll have to see if I can get plates that say   "PAPER  B".     😇

So Max, what do you think they do better than you? A little better at everything? What have you done to try and close the gap? Share some wisdom with us.

Well Considering im 350 LBS... That... Along with Entry and exits that beat the s#!t out of mine like stated earlier. My points tend to be right along with all the top guys... it comes down to overall time. Mostly made up of entry and exit. and on the occasion.... dumb stage plans. LOL.

I get very conservative at majors. Sometimes to a fault. Been working on being more aggressive with execution. Pushing those entries and exists much harder than previously. Trying to find that new normal. Made some nice improvements in the winter, so itll be interesting to see how that affect outcomes this summer.

Entries and exits, shooting while moving, getting your hits, superior stage planning and execution. All that combined with the fundamentals. It is really hard to consistently execute the full skillset for a single stage nevertheless an entire match.

My post was more created to get everyones opinion on the why than answering it.  

Well Said Smith City...

Having shot with and watched several GMs that are not winning majors it seems to vary person to person what makes the difference.

some Like Maximis are not as good with movement but have the shooting skills, some have the moment down but are not as accurate, others can shoot and move but are not as consistent. The guys consistently winning championships are very good at several aspects of the game and consistent enough not to tank a match very often.

look at the top 3 from open nationals this year and you will see 3 different paths to the top JJ is very fast and shoots pretty darn accurately, KC shoot extremely fast (12seconds faster than JJ and 29 seconds faster than Christian) but is pretty wild with his accuracy, Christian is not quite as controlled on accuracy as JJ or as fast as KC or JJ.  My point is Top guys don't all use the same formula, so guys that are not at the top will also have their own formula for their level of success. 

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

🤣🤣🤣.... Even my license plate says PaperGM...

22365150_10159317635845459_6265521571043045477_n.jpg.9230b810f643799f1b7a3e7feef8a6e0.jpg

this is Great!!!

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Well Considering im 350 LBS... That... Along with Entry and exits that beat the s#!t out of mine like stated earlier. My points tend to be right along with all the top guys... it comes down to overall time. Mostly made up of entry and exit. and on the occasion.... dumb stage plans. LOL.

I get very conservative at majors. Sometimes to a fault. Been working on being more aggressive with execution. Pushing those entries and exists much harder than previously. Trying to find that new normal. Made some nice improvements in the winter, so itll be interesting to see how that affect outcomes this summer.

I have seen a couple of your videos,, you move pretty darn good , to be as you say 350 ?

1 hour ago, EEH said:

I have seen a couple of your videos,, you move pretty darn good , to be as you say 350 ?

"You move real well for a big guy" is the most common thing I hear at a match. Outside... that guy is an a_-hole.

31 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

"You move real well for a big guy" is the most common thing I hear at a match. Outside... that guy is an a_-hole.

Nothing wrong with being an ass hole that moves real well for a big guy is there?

On 3/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, Onepocket said:

I think I know the answer to this question but would like others input.  Why do upper level GMs (Ben, Vogel, J.J.) do so much better at majors than your local GM. Local GMs for the most part can hit the same skills (draw, reload, splits ect.) time as the upper level guys. I am just a local scrub, just interested in the why.

They are either super human or have figured out all the secrets!

When I raced dirt bikes the GM equivalent was A class, then they put the upper As factory guys in double a, AA class.

If I had to boil it down to one primary skill that top level GM's possess over the "Average GM" it would have to be solid confidence in being able to execute whatever is needed in a complete vacuum. This meaning that a Top Level GM can walk up to a stage in practice, local match, section match, nationals, or world shoot and be able to formulate an optimal stage plan and execute it at the maximum of their capability REGARDLESS of whatever else is going on. Most Average GM's and lower skill leveled shooters don't have 100% confidence in what they want to do and are almost always looking for validation from others or need to be spoon fed the proper solution for a stage. They basically need to see someone else "Do it" before they sell themselves on that particular plan being the correct one. To make this even worse, if they are not 100% sold on doing any particular plan, there is no way they can execute it with total confidence.

This is where you need to ask yourself honestly if your performance is dependent upon others or not. Do you rely on others to solve stage plans? Do you rely on seeing others execute stage plans to confirm or deny your strategy? Do you need to look at the results to understand if your stage run was "Good" or not? Does attending a major match make you worry more about your performance verses a local match? Do you have to squad with specific people because you know you can poach stage plans from them?

If the answer is "YES" to any of those questions then you are likely not a Top Level GM and probably won't be until you can put your big boy pants on and tackle all of that stuff on your own without relying on anyone to KNOW what is needed to maximize your performance.

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

Why are you the a_hole