Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Level GM

Onepocket

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back to USPSA after almost 20 years and things haven't changed much with respect to classification, except perhaps a few of the newer classifiers have some movement.

That said-  Attaining a certain level and keeping it is a goal.   I looked at a lot of results in practiscore and most of the M's are not in the 85% of the winner's hit factor on a monthly basis.

Moving up is a combination of a few things-  First is mastering stationary gun handling-  Draw, Reload, and transition type stuff.   Next is Risk vs Reward.   They throw out bad scores so why not go for broke on a few. (Heck, there are videos on YouTube about 'Grandbagging" where a guy shoots a WAY after the fact just to add time and invalidate his run.)  Lastly, keeping the highest ones may artificially slant the number higher- shoot enough in 4 years, go for broke on some, and I think you could barely make Master.

The "Floating" average of your last 10 lets say is a TERRIBLE idea!   Skeet does this and there is always someone who dumps a match, drops a class, and then shoots way above their 'average.'

I stared this game in 1990 and I cant move anywhere like I used to.   I'll never run stages as fast as I used to.  M on field courses isnt going to happen.

I dont care who has what class-  The overall result seems to winnow the wheat from the chaff.  

• 5 months later...

I have these type of discussions with a friend at work who roles alot in Jiu Jitsu

1. A black belt in jiu jitsu vs a high level black belt. A high level black belt vs a competitive high level black belt.

There is no limit to the skills, making GM is a classification for the competition in which we play in.

The game consists of micro skills that all together make the shooter. 

2. If...I was to make GM(which I am not), and have only been a GM for 1 month....How the hell am I going to

out knowledge, out experience, and ultimately outshoot a dude who has been a GM for 1yr or 5yrs and has been 

competing against other GMs and learning the more intricate ins/outs of our competition game

On 5/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Npoulson said:

I agree for the most part but they have a lot of resources a guy like me does not have

he mentioned max jj etc

you are right a lot do have jobs 

some do load on mark 7 they are sponsored by

You should check out the book "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle. 

The biggest difference between M and GM, and a large part in GM vs top level GM, is consistency. The top level GMs are so much faster/efficient that they can shoot 90% of their maximum potential at a major, where the other guys are chasing their times by pushing and shooting 95-100%, and making critical mistakes.