Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Level GM

Onepocket

I think I know the answer to this question but would like others input.  Why do upper level GMs (Ben, Vogel, J.J.) do so much better at majors than your local GM. Local GMs for the most part can hit the same skills (draw, reload, splits ect.) time as the upper level guys. I am just a local scrub, just interested in the why.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At that level, you also need to move like a GM. There are many "paper GMs" who have fast hands but can't move.  I don't remember where I saw it, but there's a video from some major (Nationals last year?) of a side-by-side composite of JJ Racazza's runs compared to someone else from the Super Squad. The buzzer goes off at the same time in both videos, but JJ is so far ahead of the other shooter within mere seconds. It's incredible. His splits and transitions are fractionally faster, but his movement from position to position is why he is "next level."

Stoeger in one of his podcasts talks about the difference between the many who can win stages and the fewer who can win matches. I assume that classifiers might be the same, a lot of folks can run fast with high risk but that does not translate into a good score because the odds catch up with you. 

Im a local GM. This is pretty obvious if you pay attention.

USPSA Classification system is 95+% based on static skills. Majors are more about movement. Entry and exit being the best things to save time on. USPSA barely tests those in the current classification system. Until that is fixed, you will always have Paper GMs (Myself) and Real GMs (Guys who win Lvl 3+).

27 minutes ago, Onepocket said:

I don't consider guys who made GM by shooting Classifiers paper GMs. Just at a different level. Paper GM to me is someone that manipulated the process of shooting classifiers. 

I call those people cheaters.

There are no Paper GM´s (except cheaters). They are the fastest shooters while maintaining accuracy. In my eyes noone should try to take that away from them.

Shooting issn´t moving, or stageplaning, thats all.

Edited by bimmer1980

19 minutes ago, bimmer1980 said:

There are no Paper GM´s (except cheaters). They are the fastest shooters while maintaining accuracy. In my eyes noone should try to take that away from them.

As said above, to win a match theres a lot more involved. Timewise shooting is only one part. Sometimes the shooting part is so small, that a much worse shooter can win just by moving faster.  

I think that's kind of the whole point. A 'paper' GM may not be competitive in a match, thus,  what makes them/why should they be a GM?

It's almost like ranking racecar drivers on how how fast they go around a specific corner. Sure, they can go around a corner fast, with practice, but can they string them together? Can they pass and strategize, and draft, etc. Or ranking a boxer by who can punch the hardest.... Sure, it may be an aspect, but if you're getting TKO'd every bout... there's an issue. 

Not just Master, but GRAND MASTER should reflect a mastery of all aspects of the sport which ought to make you competitive at majors constantly. 

In my non-important opinion they ought to either make classifiers more reflective of actual match placement or make GM harder to obtain and KEEP.

Edited by Acer2428

Within the category of GM, you can consider that some of them are at the 95% level, some at the

96% level, etc.

The top GM's are, of course, at the 99.9% level - that's a BIG difference from 95%.

I'm a low level B - top level B's eat my lunch every weekend even though we

are both  "B".       :(

45 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I think that's kind of the whole point. A 'paper' GM may not be competitive in a match, thus,  what makes them/why should they be a GM?

It's almost like ranking racecar drivers on how how fast they go around a specific corner. Sure, they can go around a corner fast, with practice, but can they string them together? Can they pass and strategize, and draft, etc. Or ranking a boxer by who can punch the hardest.... Sure, it may be an aspect, but if you're getting TKO'd every bout... there's an issue. 

Not just Master, but GRAND MASTER should reflect a mastery of all aspects of the sport which ought to make you competitive at majors constantly. 

In my non-important opinion they ought to either make classifiers more reflective of actual match placement or make GM harder to obtain and KEEP.

You are right. But if you are the (Overall) best shooter and stand no chance vs much worse shooters, issn´t something going wrong then ?

Ok, it depends on what you call the better shooter.

Move less in matches and/or more in classifiers would help. Some stages look like fitness obstacle courses. I think thats to much. Better put more and harder targets out there.

LvlIII matches and classifiers test different skillsets. This is why you see A rated shooters pulling 85%+ in major matches and 75%'s on classifiers.

Also consider the classification system. When only considering classifiers, GM is 95% or higher. Some GMs shoot them at 95%, others pull 125%'s on them. Clearly those two scores are miles apart.

Lastly, GM represents only a couple percent of the sport. Those winning nationals represents a fraction of a percent of the sport. Most people in this sport shoot lvl1 matches,  and might do a bigger match every once in a while. In the realm of lvl1 matches, most GMs shoot their percentage. When it comes to the 0.1% skillset at lvl3's from top GMs, you see a wider span of skillsets amongst the GM population with several shooting 80 and 70%'s. That 70% score at nationals is probably a 100% relative to their local club.

Certainly one could argue merits of separate classifier and or match classifications.

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

Wait... so If I do everything better... I will win? O....M....G....

Only if you use SNS Coated bullets... 5% off "MikeG" coupon code, can be used with 5k and 10k discounts it you call in. 

Edited by mikeg1005

1 minute ago, mikeg1005 said:

Only if you use SNS Coated bullets... 5% off "MikeG" coupon code, can be used with 5k and 10k discounts it you call in. 

I didnt see anyone in the top 20 of nationals use SNS.... What do the winners use?

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

whatever they get for free. 

bullets iz bullets.

Considering the guy who won limited did it with a borrowed gun that is not his sponsor... I find that to be false.

Edited by Maximis228

Just now, Maximis228 said:

Considering the guy who won limited did it with a borrowed gun that is not his sponsor... I find that to be false.

you think JJ paid for his bullets? You could be right. I don't really know him, but I won't believe it until I hear him say it.

3 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

So if you're M but can't win high M should you be M? What about A, or B etc. In all the classes there is a difference between those at the top and those at the bottom.