Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips for standard large frame Tanfo?

reddirt

I have a 10mm steel with the wonder finish, not a competition frame. I'm looking for some grips, those plastic ones are  no good for me, and I've tried one of those handall things and didn't like it. This is my truck gun, so maybe something rubbery? The only thing I can find for large frame is for the competition large frame.

I have a 10mm steel with the wonder finish, not a competition frame. I'm looking for some grips, those plastic ones are  no good for me, and I've tried one of those handall things and didn't like it. This is my truck gun, so maybe something rubbery? The only thing I can find for large frame is for the competition large frame.
If I'm not mistaken im pretty sure the large frame is large frame and all the the grips will fit for large frame tanfos. I have a set of blue EGD grips I'm looking to get rid of.a3ac3bc0020b2e8725ebdf4bdb52bd9d.jpg7d3a78a900320c3107bceb59fc2b6b90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, reddirt said:

I appreciate the offer, but I think there's a difference in the two frames. Somebody will come along that knows for sure.

They won't fit right. 

Ebay had some thin "lava" grips cheap. Also i think Henning usec to make some for the standard frame.

22 minutes ago, johnbu said:

They won't fit right. 

Ebay had some thin "lava" grips cheap. Also i think Henning usec to make some for the standard frame.

OK thanks, I'll check both those. I was just on the LOK site, I would really like to have those palm swells, they remind me of the old S&W coke bottle grips.

I have a match elite, so I had the same issue. I was looking at the LOK grips too, but I was told they don't make them for the large frame witness. I ended up buying the lava grips. They are really thin, which I like a lot, and, in my opinion, feel much better than the stock rubber. Unfortunately, not too many other options that I could find.

4 hours ago, 99mpower said:

Large frame is all the same IIRC. You want metal or a harder plastic?

They ARE NOT the same.

Competition frame (square trigger guard) is different  than standard frame (round trigger guard)  even though all may be "large  frame".

Gaps will exist if wrong grip is used

17 hours ago, johnbu said:

They ARE NOT the same.

Competition frame (square trigger guard) is different  than standard frame (round trigger guard)  even though all may be "large  frame".

Gaps will exist if wrong grip is used

learn something new every day.. thanks

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 4:50 PM, tim_w said:

Can someone that maybe has both post a pic of what the mis-match grips look like on the match vs standard TG frames? Where the gaps are etc?

Here's an older thread on it. Has some pics starting with post #5.

EDITED: Really does help if I actually add the link.

Edited by Elgin
Adding link I forgot.

@tim_w here is a few pictures of the competition large frame with different grips.

First one is the EGD Extreme Aluminum Grips

Second one is LOK Palm swell bogies

Third one is LOK flat thin bogies

All of them had a slight wiggle or rock to the on the right grip panel. There is a small gap where the red circle is. There are numerous ways you can remind this...IMHO LOK bogies are the most comfortable and grippy. The Extreme EGD are very slippery but look amazing.d50fbc587085a88625586c5b6af6db98.jpg7db1489f5efa0f1b6fd53e7428fe3ac0.jpg3805135815bef9112001a230ae44a001.jpg1abfef1749ce6b1bdf3d3333318ff48f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Elgin said:

Adjusted my post to actually add the link (sorry), but thought I'd link a pic directly (not mine, but taken from the thread I referenced).

021e53243a34660affe84499c5d2e18a.jpg

When LOK grips didn't work on my stock 3, I bought a set of lava grips. For $35 I thought I'd take a chance. Glad I did. They were a tight fit and I had to relieve the right panel screw hole and screw head recess not to cross thread the screw. Once on the pistol they don't move or flex. Shot with them yesterday and they stayed tight. Very aggressive texture. I have callused hands so I liked that. I could actually feel them. They do have them for large frame, round trigger guard.

Edited by ColloRosso

Elgin and Jay,

Thank you guys very much.  That is what I was looking for.   Wanted to see what it would take to make them work to have options.     Your right those EGD look great.    Wish I could have both those looks and the grip friction like the Lok.  But performance before looks is usually the way I go. 

Talking about the frames sure can be confusing as full size or comp frames do not give proper description because of how they have used the frames in various models.

Competition frame would work if it was not for the  Witness Elite Match which is one of the two with a short dust cover rounded trigger guard frame.   And two of the Stock models have the comp and some use cone barrels and others do not etc.  Its all a mix and match of various specs.  SA Only DA/SA Rail no rail cone traditional barrel profile etc...

There are many more square TG, FLDC frame models so the others are the scarcer ones in terms of offered models.  Only the Elite Match and Stock I have the short dust cover and rounded trigger guard.  The prior with rail and SA only with cone barrel.  The former sans rail, in DA/SA, with trad barrel profile.  So no other consistency I can tell other than the obvious on the frame i.e DC and TG profiles.

So the two different "series" of full size frame Tanfoglio are :

1: FLDC/STG Frames - Full length dust covers:  that all have the square trigger guard and cone barrels both DA/SA and SA only. 

2: SLDC/RTG Frames - short length dust covers: that are all rounded trigger guards and traditional barrel profiles available both DA/SA and SA Only. 

I have rather large hands so any of the grips feel good enough for me.  But sometimes you get that perfect fit and if the frame fits your hand well to its soooo sweet.   Feels like an extension of your hand and locks in with no pressure points at all.  Had a 1911 like that. 

I guess for only two models the SDC RTG are a low enough number the selection is rather limited aftermarket.   I wonder if someone would send in a gun to say LOK and let him work up the proper specs for the CNC if they would start offering them?  It would only cost them programing time which they already have most of the spec dimensions in.

If I had a duty sidearm I think I would rather have the SDC RTG with the light rail frame vs the FLDC/STG   These days I think if I was allowed I would have it milled for a RDS as well.   

Edited by tim_w

• 1 month later...