Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Czechmate parrot

Rolltider11

So my wife got me this gun for birthday.  I’m very new into competitive shooting.  I’ve only shot idpa so far so this gun is way out of my league.  So, 2 questions so far.  What  fiber optic front sight will fit this gun and can you put on adjustable rear sight?  2nd question, is the double alpha alpha x the holster to get or what other recommendations?

So my wife got me this gun for birthday.  I’m very new into competitive shooting.  I’ve only shot idpa so far so this gun is way out of my league.  So, 2 questions so far.  What  fiber optic front sight will fit this gun and can you put on adjustable rear sight?  2nd question, is the double alpha alpha x the holster to get or what other recommendations?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. it's an open gun brother. leave the irons at home

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just now, Rnlinebacker said:

easy to pick the exceptions not the norm, huh?

Just giving an obvious example of someone successfully shooting minor. There are many other examples, but everyone knows who Todd is.

Personally, I shoot .40 usually, which is certainly "the norm", but have had some of my best matches shooting minor.

Okay, I'm not going to quote all the stuff I just read, so here goes.

Do NOT buy commercial 9mm major ammo, unless you have talked to the remanufacturer and agree with what they use.  Case in point.  I just tried Everglades ammo new 124gr major ammo and it was a disaster.  The primers flowed, some were pierced, etc., etc.  Some of the comercial reman loaders use CCI primers and HS-6 powder with 124 gr bullets.  If they won't tell you what they are loading because it is proprietary info, STAY AWAY.

Sights:  I have a TS that I used for Limited.  I'm really old so I needed some help with glasses and sights.  I went with a Dawson FO front sight that was lower than required by the fixed rear sight.  I filed down the rear sight until the POI was spot on. Then deepened the notch.  I rounded the corners and radiused the edges.  Now I have a perfect fixed sight that doubles as an excellent slide racker.

Major/minor:  if you shoot well, this may not be as big a deal as bandied about.  If you shoot poorly, you want to shoot major in Limited.  If you shoot well (90-95% Alphas) minor does not matter.

If you want to shoot major you WILL have to start reloading.  Since you're a newb, it's a big expense.

DAA holster is perfect for that gun.

You are new to competitive shooting.  You got a new gun.  If your wife really surprised you with this:  one, find out how she found out, or 2, recall your conversations with her.  Then 3: thank her.  That is unusual.

Shooting:  you are new to the pistol and new to competition.  So here are a couple of thoughts.  Shoot Limited with the sights it came with, or move to the mods I mentioned, and shoot factory minor.  I'm not being condescending when I say you do not know what you do not know.  It will take you a season at least to get the hang of things and start to decide what you do and don't like about the  gun/handling/mags/loads/etc.  Don't rush it.  Discovery is fun.

The good news is your wife gave you a great gun.  Do your part and it will definitely not hold you back.  It's ready to run from the get go.  You don't have to tweak and test.  Just load ammo and go have fun.  Then give your wife another kiss or two, because she deserves it.  Then do something nice for her.

4 minutes ago, eerw said:

also the latest batch of Parrots have a TSO style dustcover.

411552783_PARROT_0368logo.jpg.79d7c05333a5161234ad78585b95539f.jpg

And yet CZ didn’t even bother installing the new shadow 2 style extended safety and mag release with the pad  🤦‍♂️.

Unbelievable! 

Wow, most of us need to kind of downplay or justify the expense of shooting to our wives, so you are in a great situation!  

There's no reason not to buy a red dot and shoot it as an open gun, especially if you think those guns are the coolest.  I started shooting thinking Limited pistols were the coolest, and I've stuck with that division ever since.  There ought to be a way to make her run with regular 9mm ammo, even if you will be shooting minor PF.  If so, do that for a while till you get the hang of things.  Most important thing is to have fun.  Don't be worried about having too nice of a pistol as a beginner.  Theres lots of shooters with the nicest stuff that don't compete well, I've never thought less of them.  

Great info, thank you very much.  I have been shooting with a q5 match in some idpa events.  It hooked me so I went to local gun store and they had the parrot.  I mentioned it to my wife and yes she went and bought it.  That’s just how she is though, very giving.  Also, as mentioned, you hit it the nail on the head, I feel very uncomfortable taking this gun as a newb because I don’t feel like my results justify a gun like this but you are right, just have fun and don’t worry about what anyone thinks of me.

Find out what minor factory load works best with the gun and just have fun! That's amazing! No reason to change the sights and run it in limited. Only thing is you better start learning how to move fast, open is the fast guys division :D

Congrats on an amazing present and amazing gun.

Great info, thank you very much.  I have been shooting with a q5 match in some idpa events.  It hooked me so I went to local gun store and they had the parrot.  I mentioned it to my wife and yes she went and bought it.  That’s just how she is though, very giving.  Also, as mentioned, you hit it the nail on the head, I feel very uncomfortable taking this gun as a newb because I don’t feel like my results justify a gun like this but you are right, just have fun and don’t worry about what anyone thinks of me.
does this angel have a sister?