Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun slide lightening

Talon75

I'm going to be doing some milling on my RIA Double stack 9mm and got to thinking of lightening the rear portion of the slide, like an open gun or RMR type cut. I believe it will give the most benefit to recoil reduction( I know it's only 9mm!!), and be more balanced weight wise. Now my thought is to make a billet aluminum plate to mount the rear sight, much like a red dot adapter plate, really need to do some hard measuring but looks like the meat is there to make it happen. Looking for any insight y'all might have, or if anyone has seen or heard or might even have pics of such a thing. Pic is what I'm talking about cutting out behind the ejection port.

10202zg.jpg

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Adam of Atlas Gunworks typically does an ugly scoop behind the breech face, but this one is pretty damn sexy!

I like scoop. I can put my knuckle in there and rack the slide. I used to use the rear sight to rack my Tac Sport so it was an easy swap for me.

18 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Have you seen the new Bul Armory Radical

bularmory.jpg.62e8a02e5de9db0b2081b1994941d4ad.jpg

bularmory2.jpg.ee2d45a61d0f062200c412ea6bb6a8ab.jpg

Ya, that's something there, so at least I'm on the right track. Seems like this might be an interesting setup with a sightblock or island barrel.

Edited by Talon75

On 3/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, rojo1911 said:

I think that one does have a sightblock 

Upon closer inspection I think your right!!

Well I have chickened out so far and just tri-topped it and reworked the cocking serrations. Gonna take some more figuring to achieve what I want, and I wanted to shoot this weekend so it will have to happen later.

0320192219c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been shootin to much to do any more than you see there, haven't even coated it yet. The slide fixture is one I made from a panhard bar mount for a dirt latemodel, my former job was crew chief for a race team. I like using stuff I got laying around and it was a good project to get used to operating the mill.

0320192219a-1.jpg

Edited by Talon75

• 2 weeks later...