Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone ordered bullets from J-Ames?

jwhittin

• 10 months later...

I'm mailing a check today for 2k of their 125gr 9mm pills.  Yes, a check in the mail, that's the only way to order.  Pictures online show that matte grey/black color of Precision Bullets, which are by far the best bullets I have used.  And the way they describe their coating online makes it sound like the same coating as Precision.  BUT, these are a hair cheaper than Brazos bullets making the J-Ames bullets the cheapest option out there, and with a stated brinell hardness of 17 they shouldn't lead like the Brazos, so I think these might be winners.  I'll start a new thread on them after I receive them.  

• 3 weeks later...

My hands have too much arthritis these days to operate hand casting molds very much, so for the first time in my entire life I have been experimenting with five brands of polymer coated lead bullets. I talked by email with the J-Ames BULLETS® company before buying anything. They are actually a firearms FFL and they are also a manufacturer of specialty polymer coatings, among other things. Ones that are heavily used in the military and in NASA. The guys there are very knowledgable and have a highly technical background. I can definitely relate to that.

I bought 500 each of their 9mm, 40 and 45 bullets around 14 days ago. Their coating is NOT anything any other company uses. It's their own proprietary coating and it is VERY obvious when you look at the bullets IRL. I compared them to the Precision Bullets soft swaged ones from Texas and the coating is completely different. I don't know exactly what it is just yet, but it's thin, consistent and absolutely perfect looking without any visual imperfections. I can't say that about any other coated bullet I've seen IRL that I've bought or seen other shooters use. Their coating actually looks more like a chemical reaction on the lead more than a built up polymer. But it DOES NOT come off when it's fired at high speed, I know that. I dug them bullets outa my sand hill and that coating is still on the bullet everywhere. It's quite tuff and durable or flexible.

I fired all of the 9mm ones through two different PCC firearms with 18" long barrels and seven port compensators and the rest through Glock factory pistols and they performed very well, with tight sub .32 groups in the PCC rifles and tight bullseye gun worthy groups in my pistols, I might add. All fired at major USPSA allowed power factor. No leading at all. No bullet fouling.

I love that amazing coating so much that I asked them if they could coat my own NLG cast rifle bullets with their coating and they actually gave me a price for that service. They said they have at least 11 more bullets to add to their product line in the future, and four of them are rifle bullets. I am really looking forward to trying those!!

I'm working on results from the other bullets I bought. I'll post about other bullets brands as soon as time permits.

Edited by Glockster1

I recieved my 125gr 9mm shipment. You are correct, it is not the same coating as Precision bullets. It does look to be very consistent. I weighed 11 bullets and 9 were 128gr, one 126gr , and another 130gr.
Their bullet profile isnt ideal for loading long.(see pic). My SAR9 has the shortest throat of my 9mm pistols, and for the rounds to plunk and spin I was at 1.05". I haven't shot them yet, but it sounds like they will be fine, from your experience. I just dont want any more leading like I got from Brazos bullets. What a chore to clean. aa35ee55116ec4bc144903c6d8d4d5f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I recieved my 125gr 9mm shipment. You are correct, it is not the same coating as Precision bullets. It does look to be very consistent. I weighed 11 bullets and 9 were 128gr, one 126gr , and another 130gr.
Their bullet profile isnt ideal for loading long.(see pic). My SAR9 has the shortest throat of my 9mm pistols, and for the rounds to plunk and spin I was at 1.05". I haven't shot them yet, but it sounds like they will be fine, from your experience. I just dont want any more leading like I got from Brazos bullets. What a chore to clean. aa35ee55116ec4bc144903c6d8d4d5f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah that's their bullets alright. ^ 

If you're having issues with a short/tight chambered 9mm firearm, then try their 9mm RNFPBB 125gr "CRB" bullet. It was literally designed specifically for that issue. It actually says that on their website. I ordered the nose design you have. No problems at all. The price is only $1.00 more per 2,000 qty. @ $131.00 for the "CRB" RNFPBB ones.

I weighed 40-50 of mine and they were all 128.1 grains to 128.7 grains, with most of them within only four tenths of a grain, when the advertised weight is 125 grains. I will try the 135 grain ones next time for my revolvers.

I just shipped them my own NLG rifle bullets to have J-Ames BULLETS® coat with their coating. Looking forward to getting those back.

Edited by Glockster1

2 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

If you're having issues with a short/tight chambered 9mm firearm, then try their 9mm RNFPBB 125gr "CRB" bullet.

I haven't tested flat point bullets for reliable feeding in my boys' PCC yet, and that is mainly what I bought this batch of bullets for.  I should have ordered a sample of those flat point CRB profile along with my order to see how they go.  Fortunately, my 9mm pistols all run very well and I'm not concerned about the 1.05" oal running reliably.  I like being able to load to 1.12 because that is what the Taylor Freelance Goliath mag extension recommends as a max length and conventional wisdom says, "load as long as you can".

I'd prefer to just have one source for my bullets, and I personally almost exclusively shoot Limited .40.  I'm so accustomed to the flat point of most all .40 bullets, and J-Ames only sells round point profile.  I'm sure they would feed fine, but they just don't look right to me. yuck.   

I just ordered 4,000 of their 135gr and 125gr CRB bullets today to try. I also ordered 6,000 of their 228gr RNBB 45ACP bullets for my 1911's and Glocks.  J-Ames BULLETS® hard cast coated 45ACP bullets are insanely lower priced than anyone else selling a similar hard cast projectile. I guess it's just a matter of time before they realize it. 

I should also mention that I'm loading their RNFB profile 125gr bullets to 1.100 with no issues. All four of my guns run great with that COL. It just depends on the barrel machining tolerances of the manufacturer of the barrel you're using.

"I'd prefer to just have one source for my bullets, and I personally almost exclusively shoot Limited .40.  I'm so accustomed to the flat point of most all .40 bullets, and J-Ames only sells round point profile.  I'm sure they would feed fine, but they just don't look right to me. yuck."

-----------

You don't sound like an experienced reloader to use that wording. "yuck" ?? "don't look right" ?? Berry's sells RN 40 cal bullets now. I won some Berry's RN 40 180's bullets from a prize table, and aside from them being far more expensive and varying more than 2.6 - 3.1 grains in weight, that round nose design is far more reliable in feeding and they made a nice clean round hole in USPSA cardboard targets too.    

Edited by Glockster1

I ordered 2K 135 GR in .357" a few weeks back. Kind of odd sending a check these days so plan accordingly... 

They arrived late last week and I broke into them last night. Coating is super slick, not like Brazos or Gallant. Gave one the smash test with no issues. They consistently measure .3565". Plunk and spin around 1.065-070" in my S2 and TP9SFx. Thats .070" shorter than other 135gr profiles used previously. I'm looking forward to load development and the potential, with their coating, to change over from JHPs for PCC . More to follow.

I was always used to loading with long COL's until I quickly realized that when loading with a shorter COL I'm using A LOT less propellant to achieve the same velocities. Accuracy and reliable feeding/functioning is identical in all my semi-autos whether it's long or short. If you're loading for major, then you might want to make a longer COL, but that would only benefit in longer brass life. Since 40 and 9mm brass is so easy to pick up for free at the local indoor range, I couldn't care less about brass life.

• 3 weeks later...

Any follow on information?

I've got 120 rounds loaded up for chrono and accuracy testing in a few different guns. Probably won't get to shoot for awhile..

I had a few bullets scrape during seating (shell plate came loose, despite the lock washer) and the case mouth removed fine shavings of the coating rather than big flakes typical of other coated bullets I've messed up. Appears to be a more robust coating than Hi-Tek. Pulled a few bullets after they passed the Hundo, everything looked good.

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if this is an amateur question, but how does one go about determining which bullet diameter is ideal once they've slugged their barrel? Is a slightly larger-than-bore-size bullet preferred to a as-close-to-same-size-as-bore bullet? I'd imagine if you're using a bullet that is smaller in diameter than your bore size, that's where you're going to most definitely come into leading and fouling problems. Lets say I slug my barrel and find the bore to be .3555, should I go with a .355 or .356 bullet diameter? What takes priority for determining the ideal bullet diameter; throat size or bore size?

Lastly, does anyone know what does CRB stands for? It's not explain on the website past "This bullet was also engineered by us to maximize accuracy and case capacity while minimizing COL for smaller tube magazines. This overall package maximizes reliability and performance." 

Edited by kamber

19 hours ago, kamber said:

Forgive me if this is an amateur question, but how does one go about determining which bullet diameter is ideal once they've slugged their barrel? Is a slightly larger-than-bore-size bullet preferred to a as-close-to-same-size-as-bore bullet? I'd imagine if you're using a bullet that is smaller in diameter than your bore size, that's where you're going to most definitely come into leading and fouling problems. Lets say I slug my barrel and find the bore to be .3555, should I go with a .355 or .356 bullet diameter? What takes priority for determining the ideal bullet diameter; throat size or bore size?

Lastly, does anyone know what does CRB stands for? It's not explain on the website past "This bullet was also engineered by us to maximize accuracy and case capacity while minimizing COL for smaller tube magazines. This overall package maximizes reliability and performance." 

I asked them awhile back what CRB means. It stands for "Comp Race Bullet" which is their Trademark ( ™ ) , so people should know that and not try to unlawfully swipe the name. 

If your barrel slugs at .3538 - .3543 then your coated bullet should be .355 or .3555. If you're loading metal jacketed bullets, then .355 is what you want.

Edited by Glockster1

I had a blog a few years ago where I talked about guns, ammo and gunsmithing all day Lol.  I inadvertently used the names of thee ammo/bullet manufacturers and their products names without the lawful "®" after their those registered trademarked names or mentioning that they were their registered trademarks. Their law firms sent me basically threatening letters to stop using their registered trademarked names in public forums/websites or anywhere without the accompanying "®" symbol.  

• 1 year later...

I just put in my sixth or seventh order on their website. Been having good luck with the 9mm 115's and 40 cal bullets. They now accept credit card payments! And apparently they are shipping bigger amounts now, they approved my larger order for 7,000. Damn pandemic! finally things back to normal! Got a confirmation will ship in 10 days yippee

• 2 years later...

Coating "looks" like the old Precision or Bear Creek, but is bette.  They give less smoke and zero barrel glazing. IMO, the only coating that rivaled J-ames is/was from Ibeji Heads, who have become so unreliable in service and deliveries that I've given up on them. J-ames offers different sizes too which is important to me as I use .356 in 9mm and .358 in my .38 Revo's.  I've tried alot of bullets and I have found the 9mm J-ames 125 gr RNFPBB CRB's to be the most consistently accurate bullet in my Canik SFX, my Rival, and my XDM OSB using Clean Shot or Ramshot Competition. No feeding issues if you load them correctly.