Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr flat point hollow base berrys thick plate

Ihrtuspsa

Hodgdon shows 1.15" OAL for that bullet in their load data, but doesn't have FMJ data to compare against.

I can't tell you the difference in case volume, but if that plunks in your barrel, you can use Hodgdons info to work up your loads for your bullet/powder combination(depending on whose powder you're using, obviously).

You're overthinking this, even if you seat the bullet at such a length where the volume below the bullet is the same, plated bullets typically chrono faster than jacketed.  Just back down your charge weight 5-10% load up some rounds and chrono.

I shot a thousand of those bullets through my Czechmate loaded 1.10" and they shot fine.

The driving factor with that bullet shape is going to be how long they need to be to they feed reliably.

Are you loading minor or major? With which powder?

It really helps to have all the pertinent information.

Edited by kneelingatlas

If your "max plunk" is 1.116", try the 1.103" OAL, but you might also try a little longer

and see if there's any accuracy difference.   But, watch your chrono - also check

for velocity differences.    :) 

Since your chamber is "reamed very deep", I'm surprised you can't plunk out to 1.13",

which is more common for 9mm minor.  ?? 

7 hours ago, Ihrtuspsa said:

Update: the case overall length for these bullets is 1.1030. That is what I settled on after checking the max plunk. Max was at 1.116 in my barrel.

Are you loading minor or major?

With which powder?

How much?

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If your "max plunk" is 1.116", try the 1.103" OAL, but you might also try a little longer

and see if there's any accuracy difference.   But, watch your chrono - also check

for velocity differences.    :) 

Since your chamber is "reamed very deep", I'm surprised you can't plunk out to 1.13",

which is more common for 9mm minor.  ?? 

Uh..I'm using a FLAT POINT...I load round nose to 1.1650...??

So I chronod these loads. They felt softer than 124gr fmj rn...like by a lot. However my pile of s#!t Caldwell chrono hasnt worked from day one, only sometimes it reads correctly pretty frustrating since it costs me ammo and time, but nevertheless heres the results. I achieved 168pf at the 7.6gr mark. But I dont know if I trust it so I will try another chronograph. I shut it off and shot the rest of the rounds at 7.8, 7.9, and 8.0 and there were no pressure signs at all. Even the primers still had roundness..I was suprised. So if I have 168pf at 7.6 then I can comfortably and safely run out to approximately 176 of to work that comp better. Tomorrow I will try again.

BTW, I stopped using FMJ's for Major after my comp got plugged with deposits (Lead).

I use only bullets that are completely covered in copper and I don't have to scrub

my comp any more    :) 

If you're going to use FMJ's (no real good reason to), spray your comp before each

use, and clean it out when you get home - saves some work down the road.