Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ???

japarker82

Definitely hard to tell by the video but it looked close enough to where I wouldn't have DQed you. To me as long as you were keeping your finger out of the trigger guard what's a couple of degrees. 

Maybe don't squad with that guy anymore. 

This is a good example of why video is inadmissible in USPSA. There is no way to tell by watching this. Sorry but I also think the RO was situated as well as possible to see it clearly.

unfortunately, 180 dq is a judgment call.  i'd guess there are very very few who could accurately spray paint a 180 line 20+ yards from the back berm.  i've handed out my share of 180 dq's but they were clearly well past 180.  in most cases, folks running from right to left and doing normal reloads which points the gun left of their path and thus uprange at least a little.

Like others have said, it’s really tough to tell in video but, based on my precise measurements, just as your coming past that wall you hit exactly 180.021 f41c3042f4e72699f2559f660158c13e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I don't think that was a terrible place to reload, but i think it is wise to leave no doubt about where your gun is pointed when reloading. Some RO's are a little frisky on that stuff, so I don't want to give them any reason to frisk.

Concur. 

12 hours ago, louu said:

Definitely hard to tell by the video but it looked close enough to where I wouldn't have DQed you. To me as long as you were keeping your finger out of the trigger guard what's a couple of degrees. 

Maybe don't squad with that guy anymore. 

Reloading on the 180 is always risky.  Your attention is on the magwell, less on where the 180 is.  

We BE readers weren't there, and we don't have enough info to make a good call.  We shouldn't be trying to help second-guess the RO.  The fact that this was posted here suggests that even the shooter may not be sure.

The others here called it right.   It's the RO's call and, yeah, it hurts but we gotta live with it, practice the skills involved, and move on. 😏

Too close to call from the couch, but where the ro was standing it was probably an easy call.  Heck, he might have gotten to look right down the barrel, I noticed there was no hesitation in his voice.   From the angle of the video, i think you could easily be at 190 and we wouldn't be able to tell 

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

😂     😇     :cheers:

Once you're over the 180.001, there's no adequate defense, I'm afraid.     😇

Yep. And on the flipside, you're good to go at 179.999. Ideally, the shooter should make the RO's job easy and keep a mental limit closer to 170 as a max because, in my experience, most 180 calls are based on that fraction of a second where your gun just broke the plane and rarely involve a gun pointing way back at squadmates (although I have stared down a barrel once or twice!) 

Next time you need to do this, go with the “dump, grab, and go.”

Drop the mag and draw your fresh one. Put another 20 degrees or so of downrange twist in your wrist and crush the movement. Seat the mag as you begin to arrive at the window and your shoulders have begun to rotate downrange, square to the port.

Doesn’t cost more than a tenth or two when I’ve run both ways on a timer, and is sometimes faster because you can move agressively. More importantly, you never get sent home. Your mind is free to focus on the muzzle’s index and the movement.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

And I agree with the others: the RO is in the perfect spot to call this and the camera is in the worst possible spot. The video couldn’t show us the difference in this case, so everyone is going to see what they want to see.

Internet trolls will see you at 195.78.

You will see your self *absolutely* maintaining about 175.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just so happened to see this exact DQ in person as my squad was waiting on yours to get done with the stage. I was watching your run and seen the 180 break during the reload myself. The RO made the correct call. If it helps you feel better, right after the "STOP" call was made I looked at a couple of my squad mates who also seen the same thing and all of us were on the same page with it being a valid DQ.

It sucks to DQ at a major like that, but this is unfortunately the best way to learn that kind of lesson.

Sorry about that. Agree "180 dq is a judgment call".. So work out a stage plan with less risk not even close to 160 dgreee and execute it. Add a detailed reload with angle at particular point (reload from front to back or right to left) to your stage visualization.

Edited by highhope