Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
xtian999

S&W 15-22 Safety Alert

Got a letter from PSA that said they have S&W reps to check products before they go out. Nice!

Posted (edited)

So I ordered a gauge on 3/11 and have not received...called S&W cust. service and they said the the gauges just started shipping end of last week, so it should arrive within the next week.

Edited by MoRivera

Good to know, I ordered one too the day I received the email. Was curious why I hadn’t received it yet, now I know. Thanks

Got my 15-22 Tues. Ran 600+ rds so far and no probs.

Yeah I've ran about 400-500 through mine including some pretty rapid-fire stuff on steel and haven't had a single double or multi-/slam-fire.  But best to be sure so I'm eagerly awaiting the gauge.

I got my gauge today and it measures .0355 so if you have a depth gauge and the recess in your bolt measures anything over that you should be good to go.

Posted (edited)

Just checked my mail.......

It comes in an almost junk-mail looking envelope so be careful not to overlook.

image.png

Edited by MoRivera

Checked mine. Crap.......CRAAAPPP!!!!!

Just kidding, I'm good.

😉

16 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Checked mine. Crap.......CRAAAPPP!!!!!

Just kidding, I'm good.

😉

I am pretty sure mine is ok, but ......

I really enjoy shooting mine. 

It would suck to be without it for a while.

The recess in the 3 that I have measured .039, .040 and .041"

I measured the rim of a Blazer cartridge and it was .040"

Posted (edited)

Note: actually at first I thought that the gauge was a tiny bit over, but then I realized that I hadn't cleaned the breech which had a good amount of buildup.  Once cleaned it was dead-even.

Edited by MoRivera

I am sure mine needs cleaning also, I shoot it at least twice a month, and generally ignore it, other than dragging a bore snake through it.

I did just buy a new handguard for it to try and add some weight and make it more like my other guns.

So maybe I will start treating it a little better.

Got mine ordered, guess I'll clean it up (haven't cleaned since who knows when), and be ready when the gauge comes in. Thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, Startingover said:

I am sure mine needs cleaning also, I shoot it at least twice a month, and generally ignore it, other than dragging a bore snake through it.

I did just buy a new handguard for it to try and add some weight and make it more like my other guns.

So maybe I will start treating it a little better.

I regret that I didn't add some weight to the back before pinning a Minimalist stock on.

17 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I regret that I didn't add some weight to the back before pinning a Minimalist stock on.

I actually have a 4" piece of 3/8" pipe stuck into the make believe buffer tube.

Between that, and the huge barrel nut assembly that came with the new handguard it actually feels like a real gun now

Hello: I checked mine and it measure about 0.002" high. I guess I will see if that is within specs since the gauge sits out of the recess. That may explain why it only likes CCI mini mag ammo to make it run 100%. Try a bunch of other ammo that goes bang in my 10/22's but not the 15-22. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what they want me to do. Thanks, Eric

Gauge should be flush or below. S&W will replace bolt if gauge surface is above bolt face, per their instructions.

32 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I checked mine and it measure about 0.002" high. I guess I will see if that is within specs since the gauge sits out of the recess. That may explain why it only likes CCI mini mag ammo to make it run 100%. Try a bunch of other ammo that goes bang in my 10/22's but not the 15-22. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what they want me to do. Thanks, Eric

I'm going to assume that you scrapped out the carbon/powder residue. What's it measure with a depth gauge? All mine were .039 to .041 plus the other peoples that I checked at the range.