Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Portable Gps Units

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend in my truck, and it has served me reasonably well. It is a handheld unit, not a dash-mounted one... that has pros and cons. Pros are, I can take it anywhere... cons are, the screen is fairly small and the interface is somewhat constrained. All in all, I would call it "useful, but not optimal"

If you're into gadgets, look into the "Pharos" stand-along GPS receivers (http://www.pharosgps.com/). I recently got one - it is about 1.25" square and maybe 1/2" thick. It is not a stand-alone device, you need to connect it to "something else". But when it is plugged into a laptop (using a USB cable), then mapping programs like "Streets and Trips" make your laptop into a pretty cool solution including real-time tracking, routing, points of interest, nearby "things" (eg, nearest hotels, restaurants, ATMs, whatever). You can also plug it into a Pocket-PC or a Palm-based handheld and do similar things, with the right software.

Bruce

Mostly the good car ones are $800+. What do you want it for, detail navigation or not getting lost in the wild? The the navigation part get ready to pay for a pricey unit and software. If all you want is to know which way to a major road the $200 or less ones do it just fine.

I have an Etrex Legend which has a decent base map and to which I can download local maps. Buy no means a navigation type GPS. However I could plug into a laptop and with the correct software have a full navigation system. If you haul a laptop around anyway, that might a cheaper option.

I've had the Magellan Meridian Gold for years. They have a color one out now, and I may upgrade. eBay has the Color for about $275 "Buy It Now," but you'll need to get the CD-Rom with the street info on it.

It's handheld, batteries on mine last ten to fifteen hours, and best of all you can expand the memory using a CF card. That means you can download streets to the sidestreet level. I believe it comes with the main highways already in memory, but a 64 MB card lets me put most of Texas and a lot of three other states on the card.

I've owned two units that plug into a laptop, but I ended up with a lot of wires strung around the car (including the antenna wire and an inverter to keep the laptop powered).

The new Bluetooth GPS units look nice, especially if your phone is compatible. That would solve the wire problem.

I've had the Magellan Meridian Gold for years. They have a color one out now, and I may upgrade. eBay has the Color for about $275 "Buy It Now," but you'll need to get the CD-Rom with the street info on it.

I've had the color version of the Meridan for 1 year give or take and like it a lot. I bought it refurb'd from Dick's Sporting Goods for around $250. Plus as Genghis stated you'll need to buy additional software to get the detailed maps (around $100). I threw a 256 meg memory card in it so I can store most of the country on the card without having to reload it every time I go somewhere.

I have the Magellan Meridian color and it works for me. I like the portability of a hand held for when I travel and don't really need one strictly for driving around here at home (small island).

Mines came with the software included. It also came with the mount for the windshield, DC power cord and cables to download maps. It uses AA batteries

b

I travel a fair amount, and always rent at Hertz so that I can have NeverLost in the car. While GPS is nice, the VOICE prompts are really handy for cities you don't know, and especially at night (really bad night vision here....) However, I just bought a Garmin i3 ($349 at The GPS Store) so that I could have a GPS not only for my business travel, but for general travel by auto (I mean just bought it... today was the first day it was in my truck).

First impression.... I CANNOT believe how small this thing is!! It's approximately 2" by 2" by 2" :D I can easily take this thing with me when I travel. Also, battery powered, or 12v DC powered, WAAS, plenty of memory, AND VOICE PROMPTS!!!

I looked at a lot of GPS's, and almost went with the Garmin 2710, or the Garmin Quest. The 2710 comes with a ton of accolades (and the pricetag), and the Quest would give me navigation on the water, but ultimately, I looked at what I was going to be using this GPS for, and so far, I think the i3 was a good choice.... ;)

If you have a laptop and travel frequently, I recommend Delorme Street Atlas + GPS. I've been using it since 1999 and have been pretty happy with it.

You might also look at the Garmin IQUE (Palm OS + GPS). I've never owned one, but I did some heavy looking and, if my company didn't issue the GPS units we have, I'd buy one of those.

Bruce: Garmin makes a dash mount for the eTrex series. I have it an it works great.

I have an eTrex Vista (monochrome) and it is a very nice unit but I am seriously considering selling it and going to the Garm 60CS. The ability to recalculate routes on the fly is very, very nice. It is a bit bigger than the eTrex but not horribly so.

My eTrex goes everywhere with me when I travel.

• 1 year later...

Hehehe - Chet, yet another case of great minds think alike, eh? ;) I'm currently looking into the this area, too.

Has anybody used the PDA solutions like the Fujitsu-Siemens Loox N560 plus Navigon Mobile Navigator 5 series? Or alternatives?

-I'm looking at various options from this side of the pond and I'd like to keep it as low as possible, too. My only needs are is that they must contain maps of the Czech Republic and Slovakia by default. Or alternatively, be able to import maps of the above countries, etc.?

-Are there any good websites that compare GPS software solutions for PDAs? The other thing is I only know of about 3 packages:-

*TomTom's one (can't recall name)

*Navigon Mobile Navigator 5

*Garmin's one.

Thanks,

Lab.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=86

That link is for the Enos forums of GPS navigation. If you can't find it there it does not exist. I got a Garmion 2610 this year and I love it. Paid 500 for it off of amazon. I use it in my truck and it is on my Harley for every trip I take. It has the voice prompts and a bunch of other stuff too. I haven't even read the full instructions yet because it is so damn user friendly. Stick with the Garmins.

Tom

I have the garmin nuvi 360 and LOVE it. Like others I always rent with the Hertz Neverlost and had that same model in my truck for years but this new garmin is great. Touchpad, full voice prompts etc and VERY small.....I can stick it in my purse as well as on my Harley or car. It comes with the suction cup attachment to put in on the window.....for a bike, velcro works great. :P