Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Signs of overpressure?

Lucreau

Wow, 8.6 grain of hs6? I make the same power factor with a 5 in kkm barrel with 7.9 grains of hs6. Some barrels are faster or slower than others though. Yes that primer looks pretty flat with some flow. I have yet to try rifle primers, I use Winchester and federal small pistol primers and have not had issues. Definatly load as long as the chamber and magazine will allow with reliable feeding. If you can get 1.1675, that would be much better in the sense of less case pressure.

20 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

I'd drop down to at least 170 pf, but that primer is of no concern. 

Okay I’ll try that. Loading at 8.4gr got me right around 170pf. And thanks that’s what I was concerned about most was the primer. Pulled my slide apart at the range to make sure nothing was out of wack

Edited by Lucreau

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Dawson firing pin is longer than the Limcat just for your info. With primer flow into the firing pin hole you can get buildup of the primer case into the firing pin hole so clean it often. Thanks, Eric

Ah okay, I didn’t know that. I will pop for one of their firing Pins. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Do you have popple holes ?

Yes 3 popple holes on top, and 2 on each side angled like a V. So 7 holes total, and a comp

Edited by Lucreau

48 minutes ago, Lucreau said:

Ah okay, I didn’t know that. I will pop for one of their firing Pins. Thanks!

Yes 3 popple holes on top, and 2 on each side angled like a V. So 7 holes total, and a comp

Your load sounds about right for that gun, I just suggest you try it around 168-170 pf.  It'll shoot better.

As far as that primer, a longer firing pin won't make much of a difference.  The extrusion is more of a function of the firing pin hole shape and its fit to the diameter of the firing pin.  A beveled or slightly oversized firing pin hole can cause what you see in the primer.  It's not indicative of a problem.

Yea, the popple holes will up your powder need a bit for major. I use 8.2gn of hs6 with 124jhps (no popples) and get 170ish. I also use win sp primers. I see no need to artificially (and possibly dangerously) cover up pressure signs by using rifle primers. I don't get any flow like that either...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, theWacoKid said:

As far as that primer, a longer firing pin won't make much of a difference.  The extrusion is more of a function of the firing pin hole shape and its fit to the diameter of the firing pin.  A beveled or slightly oversized firing pin hole can cause what you see in the primer.  It's not indicative of a problem.

Yep, I'm with the crazy kid :)