Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roller Handle problems

I put a roller handle on my 550 this weekend. Got it all tight and started loading . About every 100 rounds the handle works loose at the nut. I thought about drilling and pinning it but I thought I would see if anybody  had any suggestions. 

I put channel locks on the handle shaft near the bottom and the appropriate box end wrench on the nut and tighten it.  It scratches the surface of the handle a little but does not move.  I found just holding the handle and tightening did not work.  

I read this and thought "That's odd, both of my roller handles have flat spots on the arm for a crescent wrench for tightening the nut"  So I went out and looked, sure enough both had flat spots on the arm

Hmm, why are you guys missing this? 

Closer inspection and a faint memory of having a machinist buddy grind the flats shows the application of cold blue that doesn't match the rest of the arm.  DOH!

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I read this and thought "That's odd, both of my roller handles have flat spots on the arm for a crescent wrench for tightening the nut"  So I went out and looked, sure enough both had flat spots on the arm

Hmm, why are you guys missing this? 

Closer inspection and a faint memory of having a machinist buddy grind the flats shows the application of cold blue that doesn't match the rest of the arm.  DOH!

No flats on mine.

• 4 weeks later...