Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trimming OFM beavertail backstrap - Production Legal Mod?

gomerpyle

Hoping for an answer. Is trimming an OFM gen5 Glock backstrap (beavertail backstrap or otherwise) Production legal? it seems that the two following rules do not prohibit it, and that a trimmed OFM beavertail backstrap is consistent with the two rules:

21.4 Grips
Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

22.2 Grips

Non-OFM grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide function, such as a beavertail or thumb rest are prohibited.

Heck in all honesty who knows at this point.  It will either be “well it isnt listed so its illegal” or “just because it is not listed as illgeal doesnt mean its ok, but doesnt mean it isnt either”. 

I like to take the road of in Production, CO, or Single Stack of if it is not specifically stated as allowed then, it isnt allowed. But we are also not supposed to be objective.  Eh well

To me, common sense dictates that yes it is legal although we know common sense doesn't always apply.  21.4 says replacement grip panels are allowed, doesn't say they have to be the same length as factory, just says they can't extend below the butt of the gun. 

• 1 month later...

I would think this would easily be legal. Especially if you are talking about the factory piece. If you can grind off finger grooves why couldn't you shorten the beavertail piece?

This is interesting as I have the beavertail laying on my workbench in prep to cut and try it. Have changed my grip a bit and started getting some slide bit after years of shooting Glocks. My thought is to trim the beavertail short and tuck the bottom under my grip tape so I get the beavertail but don't add length to the rest of the grip. 

What's you plan gomerpyle?