Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger job on a new revolver? (Gunsmiths)

ysrracer

I bought a 5" 627, and love it, but the trigger sucks. I'm guessing the double action trigger pull is somewhere above 12 pounds.

Is there a required amount of rounds I should wait to have a trigger job done on it? I've got about 500 thru it so far.

1000? 2000? Have it done now?

Get it done now.  You may be able to smooth it  out a bit after a few thousand rounds but you will never get it down to a smooth and light action without a lot of stoning and fitting.  A good gunsmith should be able to do it for you for around $150 and they are worth every penny.   

In most instances that's cheaper than buying the tools needed and doing it your self.  You also don't end up ruining parts and having to buy replacements.

Dude 5k rounds isn't going to make it as nice as it could be. My 627pc had a DA that was more than 12#. It was way off the scale on my spring action trigger gauge. I did my own work and got it to 6#. Then decided to try the Apex Evolution hammer and said what the heck just sent it to Jerry. He worked his magic and I didn't get his amazing 4# but its 5# and that's totally usable. I think Apex is moved out and Jerry isn't taking revo work anymore. But there are some other good smiths in our area. Dave at DMW does great revo work and legendary Tanaka.

I load 160gr Short Colts for it and has been great for the couple times I've been able to do USPSA with it.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, PatJones said:

I disagree. It's just that most of the old used Smiths with problems have already been fixed.

Not to be argumentative, but just ask Randy Lee about the newer S&W's. He's rescued five of them for me.

I saw two NIB Performance Center 586's in a store last week. Both had over-torqued, canted barrels, and very rough forcing cones. The actions weren't any better than the standard models.

They were expensive, though. They had that going for them.

I think PC stands for Pretty Comical.

22 hours ago, PatJones said:

I disagree. It's just that most of the old used Smiths with problems have already been fixed.

This.

I have a 586 I bought in the mid 80s that has had lots of trigger work done. Same 10ish lbs double action that my mid 2000 686 had from the factory. Same 10ish lbs that my 2016 TRR8 had and my 2017 929 had. All needed work. But, so did the 1978 or so Model 19.

O.P. I think you are still further ahead getting your trigger worked now. Might PM BossHoss? He has done great by me!!

And while you're at it, look at some new Ruger revos... Now that's a trigger! LOL

YMMV.

Not to be argumentative, but just ask Randy Lee about the newer S&W's. He's rescued five of them for me.

I saw two NIB Performance Center 586's in a store last week. Both had over-torqued, canted barrels, and very rough forcing cones. The actions weren't any better than the standard models.

They were expensive, though. They had that going for them.

I think PC stands for Pretty Comical.

I occasionally get an old Smith from the 80s into the shop that's lightly used and not yet cleaned up. The polish under the bluing was nicer, but those old non-mim internals were rough as guts.

The only complaint I have about the newer guns is that sometimes the sears shift in the hammer and you can feel it as a click.

No one seems to complain that $3000 STIs need work when new, why does it surprise you that your Performance Center gun needs a little love? The Performance Center isn't a custom shop, they just do smaller runs of firearms.