Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic change on SP01 Shadow

Wrist Shot

I have DPPs mounted on a couple Shadow slides for CO. They’ve served me well but I want to jump up to 6 MOA. They are both beautiful custom cuts by CGW for that optic.

Has anyone retro fitted a CZC plate on a slide already cut for a specific optic? Good idea? Bad idea? I like the low position of custom cut but hate the thought of sending the slides out or buying a new upper to try a different optic. 

Thanks,

They are different depths.  One had a lower cut by CZC for the adjustable rear iron sight. I only have one available for a pic. Try to post tomorrow. 

New slides (one at a time) May be the answer. I haven’t cut any other corners with my equipment in this sport. 

I have a slide with the adjustable rear sight and I sent to to CZC to get it cut for their optic plate... but once Stuart got it, he said there wasn't enough meat on the slide for how they install the plate.

If you decide to get rid of those slides, let me know.  I have a couple of shadows and have been thinking of having one milled for DPP.  I saw the CZC dovetail optic mount and like the idea of that simply because it's not permanent.  Have any of you tried that?

I'm trying to figure it all out. You will probably be happy with the DPP. Most people are. Actually I have been too but I want to try a bigger dot. Both guns are ridiculously accurate and in normal lighting, set in the mid range of brightness, its perfect. At its brighter settings it flares, still easy to acquire and still super accurate but not a defined dot any more. So if I'm shooting matches in FL sun I can't help but think a little bigger would be a little better.

This is my new gun and slide by CGW. You can see their work is tight! I think there may be room to cut a CZC optic plate in deeper.

I can post pics of my other gun when I get it back from my buddy. It's cut deeper to get through the deeper dovetail of the CZC lowered adjustable rear sight

I don't think there is any question that the lower the optic is mounted the better.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

I just recently got an extra Shadow 1 slide milled by CZC for a Vortex Venom (mine being the 6MOA), and I like how low down it gets it.......

image.thumb.png.f3322c267d4879bdabc844c351c4905b.png

....what's nice is that there's also a 3MOA Venom in case I want to go smaller, but so far the larger dot works well for me in this setup.  

Edited by MoRivera

Looks good.

It’s nice that the Venom offers choices in MOA. I think the dot size is a personal preference maybe dictated by shooting style. You have options and can experiment if you want without putting your upper in the mail.  

If I could dial my pace down a little I could take more advantage of the 2.5 dot on the DeltaPoint. Probably never be as accurate as the sight is. Unfortunately I seem to shoot Alpha Charlie’s  as fast as I can. That’s why I’m thinking a bigger dot may suite my shooting style. I actually asked them if they have any other DPP options coming out in the near future which they said they don’t. Their only other option for a higher MOA is the triangle which works very well for a talented friend of mine but stubbornly I don’t want to learn another optic style. 

I know that with my eyes and corrective glasses, I definitely pick up the 6MOA dot better when it's moving as much as it does on a pistol.  On my long guns where things are steadier, the smaller dots come in handy.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, Wrist Shot said:

I have DPPs mounted on a couple Shadow slides for CO. They’ve served me well but I want to jump up to 6 MOA. They are both beautiful custom cuts by CGW for that optic.

Has anyone retro fitted a CZC plate on a slide already cut for a specific optic? Good idea? Bad idea? I like the low position of custom cut but hate the thought of sending the slides out or buying a new upper to try a different optic. 

Stay with a DPP, but try the 7.5 MOA triangle. 

Ontos,

Are you using the 7.5 triangle?

I have a friend who loves it. He is a talented CO Master. He has his zeroed to the top of the triangle. It for sure works for him. I feel like the magic of having the dot in the first place is that it IS the point of impact- Put the dot where you want the bullet. Learning to put the triangle below my target seems like it would be like lining up a front and back sight. Admittedly I haven't  tried it so I may be wrong. 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, Wrist Shot said:

Ontos,

Are you using the 7.5 triangle?

I have a friend who loves it. He is a talented CO Master. He has his zeroed to the top of the triangle. It for sure works for him. I feel like the magic of having the dot in the first place is that it IS the point of impact- Put the dot where you want the bullet. Learning to put the triangle below my target seems like it would be like lining up a front and back sight. Admittedly I haven't  tried it so I may be wrong. 

I have mine zeroed so that the tip of the triangle is POI at 25 yards, therefore everything within that just put the triangle on the target and your rounds will fall inside the reticle.

I'm very happy with it but on occasion I feel as though I'd like a smaller reticle for tight no shoots. I ordered my next CO gun with the 2.5 MOA dot. If I don't like it, I'll put it on a carbine and drop a triangle I already have on there.