Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why N320 Powder?

efether

Okay, I've setup the OAL on the press to 1.135". Seems to load clean via hand cycling...and will test some loads with it to be certain. I did the marker trick..and there's no evidence that I see that I'm into the rifling.

For your use & to save $$$$ , I suggest Titegroup. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

PS - I would throw out the Dillon sizing die & use a Lee or better yet, a Lee U die from EGW.

First, What VV powder would youi use? From the books I've read, I would be pushing the top end of the TItegroup to hit Major. Have to build some test loads and give it a shot.

Second, why should I throw out the Dillon sizing die? What's wrong with it? Please be detailed and specific..if possible. You're really caught my attention here...I mean, every single round that's been spit out of the 550 has fit perfectly into the case guage, and I've seen little brass fatique yet (5-6 reloads per brass to date)...and I examine the brass before they go into the tumbler, and again after reload (case guage from both ends of the bullet..and visual inspection).

Thanks...

I won't load 40 without a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).

I won't load 40 major with 231. I just don't trust it.

I have a pound of vv320 sitting on my shelf...for over a year. I can't bring myself to be curious enough to try it. TiteGroup works well enough that I haven't wanted to look elsewhere.

Okay...what's wrong with the Dillon Crimp Die? Please be detailed and specific..if possible.

Also, do you not trust 231 because of it's sensatively to temp? To be honest, I like the VV powders the best...clean, and measures perfect everytime (X800, btw, never seems to have the same powder drop). I've got N350, 3N37 and N340 on the shelf...making test loads. From what was said in this thread, I'll hold off on the N320 until I move into an STI. According to VV's burn chart, the N340 is the fastest of the three listed...so I'll be extra careful with that one...but VV does publish numbers for it in .40S&W.

I also have a Springfield XD that I'm starting to trick out (hate the 8# trigger, but like the feel of the gun itself). How would it fair with N320?? Stock everything internal.

Thanks again for all the helpful info here....I'm drinking it up.

Sincerely,

Eric Fether

Many don't use the Dillon sizing dies because (by design) it has a funneled entrance. This allows the brass an easy entry into the sizing die, but it also means that the resizing portion of the die does not travel as far down the brass.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with the Dilloin crimp die. The Lee Factory Crimp Die does an extra funcetion. It not only crimps, it also sizes the loaded round.

231...maybe I shouldn't speak of it, as I haven't tried it. I have read enough reports to get the impression that is sensative to OAL. Meaning, if a bullet gets setback or is loaded short...the pressure with 231 increase quite a bit. People like it plenty for lower pressure rounds like 45ACP, but there are too many other great powders out there to take any risks in 40.

Many don't use the Dillon sizing dies because (by design) it has a funneled entrance.  This allows the brass an easy entry into the sizing die, but it also means that the resizing portion of the die does not travel as far down the brass.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with the Dilloin crimp die.  The Lee Factory Crimp Die does an extra funcetion.  It not only crimps, it also sizes the loaded round.

Well, if every round that comes out passes a double caseguage test (once from the bullet end, and again from the primer end), do I really need the these other dies?? I mean, from my current point of view, the Dillon dies are working just fine...please enlighten me as to why I should invest more money on new dies.

Thanks!

-Eric

If you're going to be reloading ammo that is shot out of a factory Glock barrel, the bottom of the case will look like a guppy where the bbl is unsupported. Most people have found that regular resizing dies don't take the buldge out of the case - the EGW U-die usually does.

Well, if every round that comes out passes a double caseguage test (once from the bullet end, and again from the primer end), do I really need the these other dies??  I mean, from my current point of view, the Dillon dies are working just fine...please enlighten me as to why I should invest more money on new dies.

Thanks!

-Eric

When loading once fired 40's, I'd have ~1 in 500 not go through the case gauge with the Dillon die. I tried the EGW undersize die and I was crushing about 1 in 100 cases or so because it's not funneled like the Dillon. I went back to the dillon because I'd rather pull a couple of bullets instead of having the interruption and worrying about a double charge or a squib because of not completing a full pull on the lever.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.montac.com/glock/bullet%20jump/bulletjump_2.htm

Just for y'alls info, using a Glock stock, KKM,or many others I suspect, you will NOT be able to load long enough to hit the rifling... As indicated on the linked page, you have to load to 1.301" before a 180gr FMJ TC will bump the beginnings of the riflings (those that are partially machined with the throat angle). I don't think ANY mag would lad a round that long... :)

• 1 month later...

I just started loading 40 S&W and did not know wher to start. I ASKED this Forum about VV320 And got a lot of positive feed back. Started with 5.0 grs under a 165 gr Zero, then went to a Win 180 gr. Both work very well. No pressure no smoke. No recoil to speak of. This past week I tried 5.0 grs under a 200 gr Rainier 200 SWC in 45 acp that works well enough that I think I have 4 lbs of AA#5 I will be giving away. The vv320 is very, very clean. I know now way evey body reccommends this powder. ITS GOOD. I've been reloading for about 50 years and I'm always trying to find something that work better. For the time being I will be using VV powders along with the Western Ramshot powders.

\Mike in OKC