Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejected brass sticking

1911Prof

Greetings, newb question, but what do you do about spent brass sticking to the extractor during a reload?    It is somewhat frustrating when in a match you are trying to reload into a cylinder and the brass is still stuck to the extractor and you need to punch the ejector rod a couple of times to get it to fall off.  It of course never happens in dryfire because dummy rounds are not expanded by being fired.  Is it the brass/moon combination I am using or is something else I should address. To clarify, it is not stuck in the cylinder, the spent brass is out of the cylinder and clinging to the extractor

Edited by 1911Prof

It is a 929 with .040 tkcustom moons.  The gun is as vertical as you dare get it and since it never happens with unfired brass (dry fire) and only infrequently with spent brass, I doubt it is the angle of the gun

I’m also using a lee undersized die and never had issues. Did have a fellow shooter at a match have his moonclip jammed.  He had to keep the gun facing down range, knelt down and wacked the extractor against the fault line and it popped out.  Claims he got lazy and didn’t bulge bust this batch of ammo.

I went from a bulge buster to a roll sizer.  2nd IPSC match ever I had a very embarrassing jam on my sti that took 30 seconds to extract. So I made sure it never happened again.

I have seen cases where they did not stroke the ejector far enough for the spent brass to clear and fall out, then it was released and the brass was  slightly cocked and the under side of the ejector bit into the brass, binding it and then watching them hit the ejector several more times to get it to clear. To solve that problem if that is what it is, stroke the ejector ALL the way so that the brass clears the cylinder.

Try it without the grips.  Running at speed with some grips I have a bad habit of flipping the gun too quick and actually rotating the moon clip right back in.  

I usually dremel out that relief cut to the minimum to help the moon clips to fall free.

So if you don't have the problem without the grips, it's the grips.  If the problem is still there, it's the extractor.

12 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Try it without the grips.  Running at speed with some grips I have a bad habit of flipping the gun too quick and actually rotating the moon clip right back in.  

I usually dremel out that relief cut to the minimum to help the moon clips to fall free.

So if you don't have the problem without the grips, it's the grips.  If the problem is still there, it's the extractor.

I'm running the same grips. Brass/moons don't come anywhere close.

It's possible you're canting the gun (or not canting it enough), but my best guess would be a burr or a sharp edge getting caught.

Did you chamfer your chambers?

Well the grips are definitely not the issue, I am beginning to believe a combination of really tight tolerances on the extractor and the bulge on some brass.  I actually had to pull the spent brass/moon off the extractor. I am going to try a bulge buster and see if it helps

What brass are u running?

I have put a 650 on a used Mark 7and am in the process of working through a massive pile of 9mm that I deprime and size (then clean and roll-size).  I keep one headstamp and sell the rest.

today I had 3 starline that tripped the clutch as the lee u die started shaving the cases 2/3’s the way down.  ALL starline.  I ran each piece alone through the roll-sizer and resized.  I did read some of the older posts here when we got our new 929’s that guys had issues with it.