Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who made these basepads

SJan

I recently got a unmissable deal on a really old SV open blaster;  with it I got a bunch of mags, some had these aluminum base pads.   

https://imgur.com/h2e8Ykc

https://imgur.com/LdCs69Z

The others in the lot had what I know to be Grams basepads with the similar U shaped retention clip, but they are made of a black plastic (delrin?)   

Did Grams ever make basepads of aluminum?   

h2e8Ykc 2.jpg

LdCs69Z 2.jpg

Edited by SJan
add photos

Grams never made aluminum BP's.  Those aluminum ones you have are something Dawson's made to copy Gram's design a long time ago, which he (dawson) had to stop making as it was an infringement on Gram's patent back then.  So Dawson changed his design to what you see today.

2 hours ago, Glk21C said:

Grams never made aluminum BP's.  Those aluminum ones you have are something Dawson's made to copy Gram's design a long time ago, which he (dawson) had to stop making as it was an infringement on Gram's patent back then.  So Dawson changed his design to what you see today.

thank you

I've got 3 of the same pads, you can use them on 126mm tubes and get 18 to 19 rounds. I have seen pictures of them on old svi tubes, old sti tubes, and on some old para tubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, OPENB said:

I have one too, but a previous owner cut the u-shaped pin into 2 rods, eliminating the center section. The rods walk out. Would love to find a replacement retaining u pin. 

The first Dawson pads used the “U-pin”. As mentioned before, Bevin put a stop to Dave using his design. The individual pins are “2nd gen”

Are some of these capable of serving as "11mm" basepads? I notice that it looks like the pins are possibly at different heights in some of the pads. I could use some red 11mm pads if anyone wants to sell.

Could trade for current model Dawson's or whatever. I have found myself with a number of the ~130mm SV tubes and need 11mm pads to get max capacity...