Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a Nitro Fin 2.0 To 2011 - Atlas Nemesis

NCShadow2

Can anyone provide guidance on the fitting required to install the newer version of the Nitro Fin 2.0.  Adam from Atlas told me it had to be fitted on my new Nemesis.  Really don’t want to send it in for fitting, and miss next weekends match.  

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooting-Sports-Innovations-Nitro-Fin-20-19112011-STISV-Slide-Lock-Thumb-Rest-P5393.aspx

Usually you just have to drill a detent in it where the pin hits it in the rear.

So it doesn't engage the slide, and hold it open, while shooting

Edited by jcc7x7

The Nitro Fin does indeed need fitted to the gun....it does not drop right in.  It also needs a detent drilled so it doesn't lock back the slide.  I purchased a Phoenix Trinity thumb rest slide stop and it fit right in my Nemesis.  Just needed a detent drilled. 

HH.jpg

3 minutes ago, KrymSIX said:

@JJB05 That makes sense though. If I'm not mistaken most of Atlas' guns are built on Phoenix Trinity frames.

Yes you are correct...however my buddy who has a new Titan and I were at the range yesterday and the PT thumb rest did not fit his Titan...so don't know if specs were different in the frames.  

THE BEST THUMB REST SLIDE STOP AVAILABLE.  NEW FOR 2019
*Every opinion of the NITRO FIN 1.0 (2012 design) was used in creating the Shooting Sports Innovations Nitro Fin 2.0.  Listed below are the main key changes.
-THUMB REST PAD REDESIGN:  It's 0.150 WIDER, This came from the USPSA Open shooters mainly.. They needed it wider to compensate for the scope mount. We understand everyone has a different thumb and it's curved, so a flatter pad angle increased the surface area.  We undercut and reduced the rear section of the pad to eliminate any discomfort shooting weak handed.
-PIN QUALITY OVERHAUL:  We changed our methods of machining the pins.  This resulted in a no taper, tighter toleranced pin. Now 0.1995 with a 0.00025 tolerance. Longer pin to aid in removal and for wider frames.
-SLIDE TAB CALIBRATION:  We increased the height and changed it's shape to not contact Grams followers.  Also put a nice radius on that tab to aid in installation.
-LOWER THUMB SHIELD:  Some reported hitting the shield when racking the slide.  We lowered it to the min height.
-REAR DETENT BLOCK:  We averaged all the frames we could measure and made a recessed block to capture your slide stop plunger.  Ever experienced the slide locking back while shooting weak hand?  Kiss that problem good bye

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Interesting.  I ordered the 2.0. Does this mean it will drop in or still need to be fitted?  Thanks for all the replies. 
Have you installed yours? I ordered one a 2.0 also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I took a little off the inside  ‘top wing’ that keeps your thumb off the slide because it was just touching the slide. Other than that it was a drop in. STI TG series frame 

I’ve had one practice session and one match with it and it definitely helps.

It used to be with the Nitro Fin 1.0, you'd have to drill the detent hole, and slim down the pin somewhat to fit throught the barrel link without dragging. The Ver 2 now has the detent already drilled, and much tighter tolerance of the pin. So, the only thing you have to look for is that the top of the rest, clears the bottom of the slide. And that would be a very simple procedure to fit.