Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 124 gr RN Bullet For Shadow 2

RedlandsShooter

I had very good luck with Extreme 124 gr. RN plated bullets in the Shadow 2, then I ran out and started loading RMR 124 gr RN Jacketed because I had some on hand.  I have only shot about 350 of the RMR through the Shadow 2 but have experienced 3 instances where the round didn’t chamber causing a similar to type 3 malfunction where the slide needs to be locked back to drop the mag and rack the round out. 

I do case gauge ALL my rounds with a Hundo, load to a 1.085 OAL and run a 11# recoil spring.  I even took the suspect bullets from the range and plunk tested them when I got home, they were fine.  Anyone have any experience to share with the RMR 124 gr Jacketed in a S2?  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

That OAL seems awfully short. I just got done with about 13k of the Xtreme 124 hps. I was loading them at 1.10.

Now I've just started using the Gallant 125gr RN. With it's profile I can pass plunk at 1.150". Doing some load testing with it tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I used to shoot RMR 124 FMJ RN on my Shadow 2 before I switched to the RMR 124 Gr TCFP Match winners. I never had any problems with the FMJ RNs. I loaded them at 1.102-1.104 with 4.1 Gr of Winchester 231.

Double check your crimp. Make sure all the bell/flare had been removed. The RMR FMJ RNs are .355 

12 hours ago, George16 said:

I used to shoot RMR 124 FMJ RN on my Shadow 2 before I switched to the RMR 124 Gr TCFP Match winners. I never had any problems with the FMJ RNs. I loaded them at 1.102-1.104 with 4.1 Gr of Winchester 231.

Double check your crimp. Make sure all the bell/flare had been removed. The RMR FMJ RNs are .355 

I crimp to .377 -.378, and the suspect bullets were right there so I am pretty that is not it.  Again, the bullets passed a plunk test as well.  Seems like maybe the slightly blunter profile of the RMR FMJ and the 1.085 OAL might be the combo causing a feed issue?  I have had feed issues with too long of an OAL when I ran the Extreme 124 gr plated at 1.150.  I’ll load up some to 1.1 OAL and see if I get a different result.

2 hours ago, RedlandsShooter said:

I crimp to .377 -.378, and the suspect bullets were right there so I am pretty that is not it.  Again, the bullets passed a plunk test as well.  Seems like maybe the slightly blunter profile of the RMR FMJ and the 1.085 OAL might be the combo causing a feed issue?  I have had feed issues with too long of an OAL when I ran the Extreme 124 gr plated at 1.150.  I’ll load up some to 1.1 OAL and see if I get a different result.

I don’t like the blunter/fatter/rounder profile of RMR’s FMJ that’s why I switched over to the TCFP. It’s more accurate too compared to the RNs.

Once I used up all my RMR’s, I’ll be using PD JHP for all my guns. I’m using it now for my MPX to prevent leading of the comp.

4 hours ago, George16 said:

I don’t like the blunter/fatter/rounder profile of RMR’s FMJ that’s why I switched over to the TCFP. It’s more accurate too compared to the RNs.

Once I used up all my RMR’s, I’ll be using PD JHP for all my guns. I’m using it now for my MPX to prevent leading of the comp.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give the PD JHP a go.  Have you tried these in your S2?  If so, what OAL did you run?

13 minutes ago, RedlandsShooter said:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give the PD JHP a go.  Have you tried these in your S2?  If so, what OAL did you run?

Yes I did. I load them up at 1.125 - 1.128 without any problems. The ogive is a lot better compared to the RMR JHP (which I also tested) allowing it to be loaded with a longer COAL.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 3/29/19.  Loaded some 124gr PD JHP at 1.10 OAL and 3.9 gr of Titegroup and went to the range to test, just a 100 rounds but no problems.  Ran the load at a local match last night and, wouldn't you know it, experienced the failure to feed during the classifier.  Argh!  Ran two more stages after the classifier and the load worked fine.  Beginning to consider it may be a magazine tuning issue.  Thoughts? 

11 minutes ago, RedlandsShooter said:

Update 3/29/19.  Loaded some 124gr PD JHP at 1.10 OAL and 3.9 gr of Titegroup and went to the range to test, just a 100 rounds but no problems.  Ran the load at a local match last night and, wouldn't you know it, experienced the failure to feed during the classifier.  Argh!  Ran two more stages after the classifier and the load worked fine.  Beginning to consider it may be a magazine tuning issue.  Thoughts? 

When was the last time you replaced the springs?  

On 3/9/2019 at 9:28 PM, robchavous said:

That OAL seems awfully short. I just got done with about 13k of the Xtreme 124 hps. I was loading them at 1.10.

Now I've just started using the Gallant 125gr RN. With it's profile I can pass plunk at 1.150". Doing some load testing with it tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by Chris777
replied to my own post..:)

I run blue bullet RN 124 @1.110 OAL with no issues. And good accuracy. I also have 115 RN extremes that run good.

My gun does not like Blazer brass though. Which sucks cause I’ve got a lot of it as my previous gun loved it. 

I've been told that anything below 29,2mm OAL can cause double feed issues. (about 1.150"). The shorter the bullet, the higher the possibilities it can cause feed issues. Like said above, that's awfully short.

7 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

1.10” had been the magic length for CZ’s forever.

If in doubt just buy some Fed Red box 124gn FMJ’s and replicate that length. They run flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasn't it ever caused issues? 

What about pressure in the chamber? Any data for precision?

Hasn't it ever caused issues? 

What about pressure in the chamber? Any data for precision?

No, never

I even load my Czechmate to the exact same length (but to 170+ PF) with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, xdf3 said:

I've been told that anything below 29,2mm OAL can cause double feed issues. (about 1.150"). The shorter the bullet, the higher the possibilities it can cause feed issues. Like said above, that's awfully short.

I would think double feeds are more mag related than OAL.  My CZ 9mm loads are 1.08" (27.42mm) to 1.09 and feed just fine.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:32 PM, muncie21 said:

I would think double feeds are more mag related than OAL.  My CZ 9mm loads are 1.08" (27.42mm) to 1.09 and feed just fine.

Maybe it's both. Mag with issues + lower OAL = tons of feed issues.