Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters World Major/Lovex D037.1 powder

vgdvc

On 12/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, aandabooks said:

Got a chance to try out the Major Pistol today.  Did a ladder load starting at 9.0gr under 124gr Everglades bullets.  Loaded in .2gr increments to 10.0gr.  Luckily I did because it wasn't until I was at 9.8gr before I was making major with every round.  10.0gr gave me a nice comfortable 1380-1400 FPS for a comfortable margin.  Gun was shooting maybe a little flatter and the dot return was noticeable for coming back to center.  Biggest thing that I noticed was that the glass on my optic stayed much cleaner vs. the HS6.  Even after 50 rounds through each of my CZ open guns the glass was still clear.  

So is 9.0g a good starting point for 124 jhp PD czechmate I'm going to load it to 1.15   if not what would you suggest.   Thanks 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Timido said:

So is 9.0g a good starting point for 124 jhp PD czechmate I'm going to load it to 1.15   if not what would you suggest.   Thanks 

I have 2 poppel holes in my gun and run a John Durso comp on mine.  Found major reliably with enough gas to work the comp nicely at 10.0.  Might try to go a little hotter at 10.2 to see if I can get to 175PF.  Want to see if there is a point of diminishing return with the gas vs. recoil.

If you don't have poppel holes I'd be you'll be around 9.7-9.8 to hit 170PF.

a, I have two 3/16" poppels and Eric's custom comp cuts in a Trubore blank.  I get 168 PF with an SD of 4.9 with 10.2gr MP under a 115 HAP at 1.161.  I can't believe you guys need so much powder under a 124.  The last time I tried 124s I was using 9.2gr.  I just ordered 1000 MGJHP 124s to try them for steel challenge.  I'll work up a major load and see how much it takes.

Such a nice day here that I chrono'd a few rounds in my Czechmate

10.0 gr Lovex D037.1, Bayou 115gr coated, OAL 1.13, PF 168.88
10.0 gr Lovex D037.1, PD JHP 115gr, OAL 1.11,     PF 174.70

The difference in OAL was simply because of bullet geometry/shape, I didn't adjust the seating die when loading these rounds this morning.

Edited by muncie21

I shoot AA7 regularly and 10.2 under a 115 v2 @1.165 gives me 168pf.  I tried the MP today at the same 10.2 and never hit 1400 average was 1380 158pf. I shoot a 5.4in KKM barrel 2-3/16 Popples with CFD 2port comp.   I’ll bump up to 10.4 -10.5 and see what happens.  

On 12/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, aandabooks said:

I have 2 poppel holes in my gun and run a John Durso comp on mine.  Found major reliably with enough gas to work the comp nicely at 10.0.  Might try to go a little hotter at 10.2 to see if I can get to 175PF.  Want to see if there is a point of diminishing return with the gas vs. recoil.

If you don't have poppel holes I'd be you'll be around 9.7-9.8 to hit 170PF.

9.6 put me 169

9.8 was 176   You were right on.  I will probably play with some at 9.6 and 9.7   Thanks for all the help

• 1 month later...

Went to 10.8 today and was 1390-1410.  I must have a very slow lot of powder.  At this rate I’ll be 11-11.2 before I get a usable load.  Also I used a magnum primer today and still had some unburt powder kernels. 

I have a pound of Major to try. It's from an older lot a couple years ago. My barrels are 5" KKM bull island barresl with (2) 3/16" popple holes. Will start with 9.5 or so and report back.

Edited by Posvar

I want to echo what I saw elsewhere.  The Shooter’s World Major I had from Grafs was notably slower than the major I got from Powder Valley.  This is just over the last couple of months.

The Graf’s would teeter totter on the edge of major no matter how much powder I put in under a 124 plated in 9mm.

Powder Valley is comfortably major a whole grain under the Graf’s sourced powder under the same 124 in the same gun.

Both were using Federal Small Pistol Magnum.

There was at least one a lot number associated with the slower powder (102219).  I just finished an 8# jug of that about three weeks ago and have since moved on to a new lot and this one is notably faster, to the tune of about 8 tenths of a grain less powder needed to make 170 consistently.