Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters World Major/Lovex D037.1 powder

vgdvc

13 hours ago, zzt said:

It is supposedly reverse temp sensitive.  I plan on checking that out this Winter.

Tested some today in my new Chaos 9 major gun. Ran 9.4 grains with a Everglades 124 pill at 1.70 and once fired brass at 1325 FPS average for 5 shots.
9.6 grains gave me 1340 average and 9.8 gave me 1380. Temp was 40 today. Similar to what I was getting when it was 75 out. Just info. 

Edited by Carry9shoot40

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

Tested some today in my new Chaos 9 major gun. Ran 7.4 grains with a Everglades 124 pill at 1.70 and once fired brass at 1325 FPS average for 5 shots.
7.6 grains gave me 1340 average and 7.8 gave me 1380. Temp was 40 today. Similar to what I was getting when it was 75 out. Just info. 

Are you talking about Shooters World Major Pistol powder?

Are you sure you are not mixing up names or charge numbers?

My Chaos 9 Major takes 9.7 gr of Major Pistol  @ 1.167 to make 170pf with 124gr MG CMJ

FYI AA7 and Major Pistol are NOT same. They are very close but not same. Major Pistol is also much cleaner.

Also your tracking will depend greatly on your grip pressure and trigger control and as you mentioned, type of pistol.

For my pistol the best tracking or up/down movement was with lighter bullet and slower powder. AA7/Major Pistol.

HS6 was the worst and Silhoette and CFE were good, but required very firm grip.

So every gun is different. Test , experiment yourself and dont take anyone's opinion as only solution.

PS> Also I just noticed that we completely hijacked thread because original question was about 38SC and we all talk 9Major LOL

I've tried both, stuck with AA7, easier to find at the time. Shooters World is very similar to AA7, takes 0.1 grain more to achieve same PF. I'm not really sure that Shooters World is cleaner, but I always clean my pistol, so never had a problem. Oh, I shoot 38 SC.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Is Shooters World Major Pistol  still being made? I see it listed as discontinued on multiple websites (Brownells, Midway, etc.)

Yes.  Some stores list it as discontinued by them.  Both Grafs and Midsouth have it in stock.  I didn't check anywhere else, because they are the two I buy from.

I have switched from the HS6 to the Lovex and have been using it for my RNJ 124s at 9.0 of powder.  It has been an improvement on my open gun.  I have had problems with my hands and with the lovex compaired to the HS6 the vertical movement and obtaining the dot on the target has been noticeably different.

52 minutes ago, Balakay said:

O

On  the Grafs website, the picture of the 1# can says "Pistol" and the 8# can says "Rifle".  Any idea what this is all about?  All my stock at home says "pistol"

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/vendor/vendorId/303

I have no idea.  That being said, I'd not buy the powder if it said Rifle on the jug.  Another thread complained about the same thing and said the powder was much slower that the last batch of MP.

9 hours ago, zzt said:

I have no idea.  That being said, I'd not buy the powder if it said Rifle on the jug.  Another thread complained about the same thing and said the powder was much slower that the last batch of MP.

Not good. I was going to buy some more. I guess I just pick up another case of 10lb cans from Mid South as I did last time.

15 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

Not good. I was going to buy some more. I guess I just pick up another case of 10lb cans from Mid South as I did last time.

Call and ask.  The picture may be old.

I emailed Shooters World powders regarding the label issue with Rifle/Pistol.  I got a quick response from the Managing Partner CFO:

"It's a mistake on the label, it is Major Pistol, my label company just put Rifle on the bottom.  We thought we destroyed all the labels but we missed a couple.  No worries it is the correct Major Pistol powder"

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I just ordered my first 5lbs through Powder Valley this afternoon.  Looking forward to trying out this powder.  Will be shooting it through a Czechmate with poppel holes.

What type of load data are you going to use?  I just got my Czechmate and I have settled for Vihtavuori N350 and CFE Pistol for local matches.  I did ream the barrel 0.050 deeper I just couldn't get max COAL without doing so.

18 minutes ago, Steel_Guy said:

What type of load data are you going to use?  I just got my Czechmate and I have settled for Vihtavuori N350 and CFE Pistol for local matches.  I did ream the barrel 0.050 deeper I just couldn't get max COAL without doing so.

I currently loading Everglades 124gr RN and HP-Type 2 bullets at 1.155".  I find that this is giving me good feeding and I'm not compressing powder.  I am at 7.8gr of HS6 with my current loads.  I have reamed my barrel slightly and can go to 1.170".  The magazine will max out at around 1.185".

Got a chance to try out the Major Pistol today.  Did a ladder load starting at 9.0gr under 124gr Everglades bullets.  Loaded in .2gr increments to 10.0gr.  Luckily I did because it wasn't until I was at 9.8gr before I was making major with every round.  10.0gr gave me a nice comfortable 1380-1400 FPS for a comfortable margin.  Gun was shooting maybe a little flatter and the dot return was noticeable for coming back to center.  Biggest thing that I noticed was that the glass on my optic stayed much cleaner vs. the HS6.  Even after 50 rounds through each of my CZ open guns the glass was still clear.  

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so back to the original intent of my op here regarding Major pistol powder in 38super. I finally got a chance to try some of this powder out. 5"bbl (4)popple holes,Brazos comp. 10.6 grains powder,CCI pistol primers, Precision Delta124gr hp,1.215 oal. Temp was 44F. 

The combination above yeilded 168pf. Seems clean and very trackable. When I get an opportunity I will compare to the same power factor with my 3n38 loads. Just didn't have time before dark today. Something I noticed is there was a fair amount of caking when I went to pour the powder out. It fell apart very easily and didn't stay clumped up. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the very fine powder.

Sometimes I will leave the powder measure with powder in it if Im coming back to reload in a few days. If I change my mind and go to reloading minor rounds and pour the powder out I have seen the clumping/ caking you speak of. I have also seen it when my 8# jug has sat for a while. I just shake it up first and I stir the loading machine powder charger with a stick. No problems,,, haven't seen other powders do this,,,

56 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

Sometimes I will leave the powder measure with powder in it if Im coming back to reload in a few days. If I change my mind and go to reloading minor rounds and pour the powder out I have seen the clumping/ caking you speak of. I have also seen it when my 8# jug has sat for a while. I just shake it up first and I stir the loading machine powder charger with a stick. No problems,,, haven't seen other powders do this,,,

Thanks for the response. Good to know it's not just my batch. It does fall apart and not stay clumped. It meters very easily. During Chrono the standard deviation was probably the lowest with velocity most consistent of any power I ever used.

7 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

During Chrono the standard deviation was probably the lowest with velocity most consistent of any power I ever used.

Good to know.  I had concerns about it in 38SC, because the case is only half full.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Good to know.  I had concerns about it in 38SC, because the case is only half full.

1363 low,1373 high for 5 shots. Similar consistency in other loads  working up to 168 pf.