Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please check my math!

Hi,

I know how to calculate a correct front sight height to adjust for elevation, but in this case, I'll be going from big ugly factory white dot front sight to a dawson FO front. I aim with the red FO over my POI, but the white dot does not really correspond with the FO dot on a Dawson.

So, should I shoot in it's current configuration with the top of the front sight splitting the bullseye, then do the normal math to figure front sight height, and add to that height the distance between top of sight and center of the Fiber on a dawson sight?

It seems correct to me but I dont want to waste $40 on the wrong height sight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Let me state my question in a much simpler way...

If a person was to permanently go from using a sight picture using the top of the front sight over POI to a new site picture of using the center of the fiber over POI, would they need to order a new front sight that was taller by the distance front the top of sight to center of fiber?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

More to the original post, you can ask dawson for the distance from the top of the sight to the centerline of the fiber (I'm sure they have this), or you can estimate that the center of fiber is ~1 fiber diameter down from the top of the sight. Dawson uses 0.040" fiber.

Then assuming the sights come in a height that zeros the pistol at the top of the post, you could order a sight 0.040" taller than their "default" size. For example the sight set for my M&P comes with a 0.180", I would order a 0.220" and go from there.