Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee auto drum on Dillion 1050?

Hey guys, I’m the proud new owner of a Dillion 1050 that I picked up from a guy on here locally and I have a few questions. It didn’t come with a caliber conversion or powder measure, so I’m weighing my options on what to buy. I already ordered a 9mm conversion and some primer pickup tubes. But as for the powder measure, it’s 90 bucks, and I already have 4 Lee auto drums that I’m very happy with. They throw incredibly accurate charges so I’d like to know if it’s possible to use one of the Lees on my 1050? The 1050 will have a bullet feeder if that makes a difference. 

Other question is, are there any specific mods I should do right away for better operation? The guy I bought it from suggested the bearing kit for under the shell plate. That seems like a solid upgrade for smoother indexing. 

Really excited to start cranking out some rounds on this thing. Everything I’ve read says with a case feeder and bullet feeder on a 1050 you can easily do 1000+ rds an hour. 

14 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Thanks. I’ve read that thread and nobody actually says ya I’m running it on a 1050 and this is what you need. There’s 4-5 threads on here about Lee powder measures but none on if people are making them work on a 1050. So that’s why I started a new one. 

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Hey guys, I’m the proud new owner of a Dillion 1050 that I picked up from a guy on here locally and I have a few questions. It didn’t come with a caliber conversion or powder measure, so I’m weighing my options on what to buy. I already ordered a 9mm conversion and some primer pickup tubes. But as for the powder measure, it’s 90 bucks, and I already have 4 Lee auto drums that I’m very happy with. They throw incredibly accurate charges so I’d like to know if it’s possible to use one of the Lees on my 1050? The 1050 will have a bullet feeder if that makes a difference. 

Other question is, are there any specific mods I should do right away for better operation? The guy I bought it from suggested the bearing kit for under the shell plate. That seems like a solid upgrade for smoother indexing. 

Really excited to start cranking out some rounds on this thing. Everything I’ve read says with a case feeder and bullet feeder on a 1050 you can easily do 1000+ rds an hour. 

I'm interested in this as well.  I have a new RL1100 coming, but have a couple Autodrums that I wouldn't mind re-using if they will work.

1 hour ago, Hooked said:

I'm interested in this as well.  I have a new RL1100 coming, but have a couple Autodrums that I wouldn't mind re-using if they will work.

From all I’ve read with people comparing them to Dillion’s and others they say the auto drum is the most accurate. I’ve only used the auto drum, but I’ve been very happy with it. With powders like titegroup or hs-6 basically every throw is spot on. I’m gonna try setting it up later and see if it’ll work and clear my bullet feeder for assembly.

So it tried it out. Mounted it and it clears the bullet feeder dropper tube no prob, but it hits the blue thing that sits on the primer tube. I think that’s the low primer sensor? Not sure, as I’ve only owned my 1050 for 24hrs. But I believe with the riser it will work. 

Anyone used both the Dillion and the Lee and can comment on which is more accurate? I just got my bare press and I want to set it up right. Don’t mind paying 90 bucks for the Dillion measure if that’s the best way to go. But like I said I’ve been very happy with the accuracy of my Lee. So if that works then great. 

Picture isn’t great. I’ll take another tomorrow that shows where it’s comtacting, 

BD8EAC47-E36D-4FD9-9652-FC2765EB251D.jpeg

It's been awhile since I owned a Dillon press so can't make a recent comment on their powder measures.  I do think the Lee Auto Drum is very accurate as I checked it pretty closely with a balance beam scale when I first acquired it.

That Lee sure looks crowded mounted on the 1050??
People that have done this-
Does it mount and function up/down without touching?
I run a bullet feeder so that is a concern.
The primer low sensor appears to be in the way?
Better pics would be assuring:)
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Lee riser will raise it about 1.75",  that probably won't raise it above the primer sensor.  Perhaps you could do without the primer sensor ??  Although I don't think it would hurt anything if it just touches the primer sensor.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, Steve RA said:

The Lee riser will raise it about 1.75",  that probably won't raise it above the primer sensor.  Perhaps you could do without the primer sensor ??  Although I don't think it would hurt anything if it just touches the primer sensor.

Ya I’m not sure. I don’t think it’ll hurt anything touching the sensor. The riser will help in that it the top of the hopper will never drop below the sensor, as the problem occurs when it comes back up and gets stuck underneath it. So if it just rides up and down touching the sensor I don’t think their will be a problem. 

Anyway I just went ahead and bought the Dillion measure. It’s just easier this way. But I’m gonna still see if the lee works with the riser. Then atleast I’ll know if I can use it in the future with other calibers.