Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preffered EGW trigger kit

vgdvc

Hello. Asking for experienced opinions on the EGW trigger kits available and their installations. The options seem to be a  lightened vs not hammer. I'm figuring the lightened has faster lock time but is strike force reduced. Also does anyone have opinions of the newer lightened hammer compared to the Koenig model. Same geometry,hook height, etc.? Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, vgdvc said:

Hello. Asking for experienced opinions on the EGW trigger kits available and their installations. The options seem to be a  lightened vs not hammer. I'm figuring the lightened has faster lock time but is strike force reduced. Also does anyone have opinions of the newer lightened hammer compared to the Koenig model. Same geometry,hook height, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'll be the first to comment and correct myself. Hammer kit is not the proper description. I meant ignition "hammer" kit. Thanks

I can only speak to the egw lightened hammer kit, I installed it as is on a stock sti and gave a nice 3# pull right of the box. The kit came on a custom Bedell and atlas I have and both have sub 2# smooth as butter pulls. I’m thinking if these builders are happy with them, who am I to argue?

Really no difference in the pull and geometry. The main difference is lighter hammers have faster lock time but possibly need heavier main spring to ensure proper primer ignition. Not always, but depends on primer. Also, the Koenig hammer makes an odd “tuning fork” ringing sound when dropped. The others don’t. 

19 minutes ago, cheers623 said:

Really no difference in the pull and geometry. The main difference is lighter hammers have faster lock time but possibly need heavier main spring to ensure proper primer ignition. Not always, but depends on primer. Also, the Koenig hammer makes an odd “tuning fork” ringing sound when dropped. The others don’t. 

I noticed the tuning fork effect as well but I later fit a new firing pin stop and that seemed to reduce the noise quite a bit. The old FP stop was pretty loose. 

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate everybody's input. I am running the EGW lightened hammer&sear which only needed minimal prepping. Sear spring is set with plenty of tension for proper reset and 15 lb mainspring  is breaking at 2 lbs 4 oz  and reliably lighting off Winchester rifle primers with no problem. I am also using the Dawson extended firing pin. I could reduce the secondary angle on the sear for and even lighter breakpoint but will most likely leave it alone for now and see how it wears is in.