Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does wet tumbling cause cases to stick on powder funnel of 650

It could be that  you're cleaning the cases too much and not using any type of lubricant in your wet tumble process. 

After the first round of tumbling with degreaser/soap, I drain the water, refill with fresh water, add a bit of synthetic car wax and tumble for an additional 10-15 min.  End result is very clean cases, with just a bit of lube to prevent sticking in the sizing and expanding dies.

I had the same issues but I didn't try polishing my funnel.  I may give that a go.  I also tired a turtle wax in the wet tumbler.  It helped but wasn't super.  I now just give my cases a shot of one shot case lube before dumping them in the case feeder and no longer have any problem with sticking.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem after I switched to wet tumbling with stainless steel media.    Brass got "too clean" I was told.        I polished the powder funnel, lubed the end of the powder funnel that did not fix the problem.    I also  did not like the idea of spraying lube on the brass after they were cleaned to a "look like new" condition as some suggested. 

So what fixed mine was to pull out the dry media tumbler.     Before I start loading I tumble the brass for about 45 min and add a cap full of NuFinish car wax to the dry media.       This seems to add enough of a slippery surface that the powder funnel does not stick.   Worked great for me.

Don’t use pins. That way there’s still a little  carbon residue inside the case mouths.

Your Ammo doesn’t care if the case was shiny on the inside or not, it shoots the same. And that carbon residue will act like a dry lube to help prevent the cases from sticking even slightly, onto your polished powder funnel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, PEG941 said:

So what fixed mine was to pull out the dry media tumbler.     Before I start loading I tumble the brass for about 45 min and add a cap full of NuFinish car wax to the dry media.       

Is this a cap full for the large dillon tumbler? Assuming corn cob media?

Yes corn cob media. 

As for the tumbler I'm not sure, my tumbler is about 15 years old.    It's a midway model 1292, its about 10 or so inches in diameter and I'm not sure how much media it holds.      All the other posts I've seen a cap full seems to be the common amount.      

Good luck I hope it works for you.     It does for me and I really like the look of the brass.  

• 4 weeks later...

Polished my mbf funnel for my new 1050 Monday because I wet tumble and while setting up it was sticking a little. Went with another members suggestion and started with 400, 800,2000 then finished with flitz on a wheel. Man did that do the trick. No sticking even with no lube on the cases. When I lubed the test rounds wow butter smooth. It’s worth the little extra time to sand and polish the funnel to mirror finish. Total time was about 20-30 minutes all worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, Poconolg said:

I have used  a 1 tablespoon of Armor All wash and wax with 1/2 teaspoon of Lemishine and have no problems.  Everything Dillion told me about wet tumbling was off base.

Thanks for the recipe. Do you think this amount would work on the Frankford Arsenal 7L Rotary Tumbler? Do you use SS pins with it still?

I have been using SS Pins, Dawn and Lemishine for my first few batches. I will say it's friggin' nuts how clean the wet tumbler can get the brass. I was cleaning cases with an UltraSonic cleaner for the last year or so as I prepped to reload and the Wet Tumbler blows it away. Its ridiculous... I threw my hands up in the air in victory first batch I ran through... lol.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:41 PM, Poconolg said:

I have used  a 1 tablespoon of Armor All wash and wax with 1/2 teaspoon of Lemishine and have no problems.  Everything Dillion told me about wet tumbling was off base.

Question. Armor All makes two different types of Wash and Wax. Can you tell me which one to use

Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax

or

Armor All Premium Wash and Wax

Thanks Mark

I use Armor All Premium wash and wax, however, I'm sure either one would probably work about as well.  I use it with several ounces of vinegar and it works very well.  If you have a FART i'd probably use about 3 ounces of vinegar.  

On 4/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Don’t use pins. That way there’s still a little  carbon residue inside the case mouths.

I've quit using pins, too.  I now use water and about a capful of Brass Juice.  30-45 minutes in my thumblers tumbler cleans about as well as 75-90 minutes with pins... LOVE this stuff!!   (not affiliated with the company, at all, btw)

Big advantage to me, besides no straining of pins, is that the water and brass juice solution can be reused at least 5-6 times, so there's one more step cut out of much of my reloading chores.

I still wet tumble with pins but i do add a tsp of Maguire's Wash & Wax. I put 200-300rds of cleaned brass in a big ziploc and put in 2 mists of Dillon case lube and a mist of straight alcohol and shake & tumble to distribute the lube. It runs smoothly through an entire batch. I also use the MrBulletfeeder powder funnels which are much better.

7 hours ago, Mytmousemalibu said:

I still wet tumble with pins but i do add a tsp of Maguire's Wash & Wax. I put 200-300rds of cleaned brass in a big ziploc and put in 2 mists of Dillon case lube and a mist of straight alcohol and shake & tumble to distribute the lube. It runs smoothly through an entire batch. I also use the MrBulletfeeder powder funnels which are much better.

I see people talking about having to lube in bags & such... I just dump brass into my casefeeder and then spray liberally with dillon case lube.  The rotation of the feeder plate seems to spread it enough to take care of it for me.    Of course, this all goes back to my goal of using the fewest possible steps, and streamlining those steps as much as possible... and since I'm using a Mark 7 pro, I'm not too worried if lever effort is higher than if I took time to lube them better.