Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Call Me An Idiot, But...

BOISCOID

With the update rules for Limited (Apependix D2) specifically stating 357 sig is allowed for MPF,  do you foresee it replacing or gaining equal popularity to the 40sw?   With the extra fps and flatter trajectory while toeing the line closer to 165 PF minimum, along with the reduced cost of bullets it seems like it is primed for an emergence in LTD competition. 

With the update rules for Limited (Apependix D2) specifically stating 357 sig is allowed for MPF,  do you foresee it replacing or gaining equal popularity to the 40sw?   With the extra fps and flatter trajectory while toeing the line closer to 165 PF minimum, along with the reduced cost of bullets it seems like it is primed for an emergence in LTD competition. 
.40 is definitely softer than .357 sig. also most people load .40 because brass is readily abundant and cheaper. 357 sig is much hotter and harder to tame

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'd be in for a barrel that would convert one of my CZ TSs to .357sig and run it in Limited instead of 40.  I have a S&W M&P in .357sig and love the round.  I bought into a ton of brass out of Washington state several years ago and am all setup for reloading the round.  Cheaper to reload than .40 and the S&S 135gr is a an awesome bullet for the round.

17 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

.40 is definitely softer than .357 sig. also most people load .40 because brass is readily abundant and cheaper. 357 sig is much hotter and harder to tame

My personal experience would force me to disagree.   The recoil is softer in the 357 sig, its the muzzle blast that makes it seem so violent. 

My personal experience would force me to disagree.   The recoil is softer in the 357 sig, its the muzzle blast that makes it seem so violent. 
well seeing as you have loads of brass you're gonna be preferential. im sure your hand loads are super soft and at the floor. more power to you. what's your load data for major?

51 minutes ago, BOISCOID said:

Idiot. 

Sorry, couldn't help it..

357 Sig will only gain in that the number of shooters using it won't be zero. It will not overtake.

Commercial ammo is high priced and hot. Never bothered loading down so don't know about recoil at the bottom end. Loading it is not as trouble free as straight walled.

Brass is about as rare as Super Comp here unless someone from NCHP was practicing lately. If you have it load up, I have a few thousand and no interest in match use.

24 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

well seeing as you have loads of brass you're gonna be preferential. im sure your hand loads are super soft and at the floor. more power to you. what's your load data for major?

Yes I'm a little bias, have about 2.5k once and twice fired 357 brass. 
my 357 load is 124gr speer .355 tmj with 10gr blue dot.   

29 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

Commercial ammo is high priced and hot. Never bothered loading down so don't know about recoil at the bottom end. Loading it is not as trouble free as straight walled.

Factory rounds are expensive no doubt.   
You don't load it down to make Major PF you load it pretty full tbh.   I only have a single stage press, but have had little problems reloading it. 

Why, the extra powder volume/pressure can't be used for a comp, you gain no increase in capacity, bullets would be a little cheaper but bottle neck cases can be touchy to use.  So there is no upside other than bullet cost and that is offset by  higher cost brass or more work to load.

Now if USPSA started doing 100 yard targets, there may be a draw to switch.  At 50 yards and under there isn't a significant trajectory difference.

Would be similar to using a 400 corbon in single stack or limited 10, trust me I'm one who did play with that and wasn't worth it.

daaaaaang 10 grains!! come on bruh help me out here lol. The pressure curve is definitely higher in that round vs 40. im intrigued to try it though [emoji848][emoji848]

21 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

daaaaaang 10 grains!! come on bruh help me out here lol. The pressure curve is definitely higher in that round vs 40. im intrigued to try it though emoji848.pngemoji848.png

Ya there's definitely alot of pressure, it's equivalent to 9mm Major I've read.  Which in turn causes the insane blast that scares a lot of people.  I'm sure you can tone it down with 147gr bullets and make Major PF, but I haven't gotten to testing those out yet.   

Pressure curve and muzzle blast withstanding,  fellow squad mates are always shocked at how my 357 sig feels in the recoil department compared to a 40 cal 2011.   

Edited by BOISCOID
addition to comment

You do realise that if you run .40 brass through a .357 Sig sizing die you get .357 Sig brass don’t you?

Yes, it’s a hair shorty than “factory” Sig but it works fine (and is what 99% of Australian shooters use).

I for one would choose .40 any day over Sig if I had a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357 sig does not run at 9mm major pressures.  Max is 40,000 psi.  Most 9mm major is above that.  You only get down to that if you load slow powder (AA7, Major Pistol, 3N38, etc.) and load long (1.160+").

.355" bullets are a penny less than .400-.401".  Big deal.  I don't see many people switching, not do I see what the extra velocity gets you with iron sights.

I am slowly become a fan of the 357 Sig.  I have two conversion barrels for a couple of Glocks.  Factory ammo is not so much more $.  I found a cache of once fired brass too.   My 650 is G2G with the Mr. BF with 9mm and standard Dillon 40 stuff.  Just add dies.

Speer Lawman 125 barely makes PF.  Its available at $17/50 + rebate.   So there is some downloaded factory offers to play with.  

I am considering shooting the G22 conversion in limited for S & G.

Now, for non-game stuff.  Some of the other factory options are just the heat for SD.  IMHO the 40 can't keep up, but that is an ongoing drug out horse beaten debate.

It is snappy in the G22, but very flat.  One thing that I have noticed, it is very accurate.

There seems to be a resurgence on the interwebs about the 357 Sig.  And I was not too surprised that it came up here on Enos. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:23 PM, BOISCOID said:

so you have enough brass for a month or 2 of practice? sweet!

If you want to shoot light, fast bullets (the opposite of what most limited shooters prefer), you can buy 135 or 155 gr 40 bullets. But no one does that, because it's dumb, just like .357 sig for games.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

daaaaaang 10 grains!! come on bruh help me out here lol. The pressure curve is definitely higher in that round vs 40. im intrigued to try it though emoji848.pngemoji848.png

Back when we were still issuing .357 Sig pistols, I've seen factory Speer ammo with flattened primers.