Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steiner 1-4?

davsco

i'm looking for a scope for a 3 gun rifle that will only get used in bays, mostly within 25yds but occasionally clays or head shots at 50yds, so i need just a little magnification with my old eyes.  a 1-4 should be plenty and with some reading, the steiner seems to get good reviews but i haven't seen/handled any in person.  i have a vortex razor 2 hd 1-6 on my main 3 gun rifle but i don't want to spend anywhere near that $$, maybe $5-600 range at most.  i really want something for quick target acquisition 85% of the time with occasional 50yd somewhat precise shooting.  first question, is the dot on the steiner as bright as the razor?  2nd, anything that better fills the bill?

For what you describe, at Meopta 1-4X  if you can find one used will fit your bill. Wide field of view, brightness is as good as you will ever need, unless the target is in the front of a search light. :)  Otherwise take a good look at a Vortex Spitfire.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

meopta, huh.  not familiar at all but just checking reviews all are pretty positive.  was hoping with 1-6 and now 1-8 out there, that 1-4 would have a big price haircut, but apparently not.

Take a look at the Vortex pst gen 2 1-6. They retail for $600. I have the razor 1-6 and a friend has the pst. Both have the same daylight bright red dot on 1x, great eye box etc. Besides the razor costing 2x as much and having slighter better glass quality there are very little differences shooting them back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i love my p4xi.  it's eyebox is very forgiving, and the center dot i find to be red dot bright, plus even if you find your head a little outside the eyebox and can't see your target through it the center dot is almost full bright right up to the edge of the optic so if you're shooting 2 eyes open it'll still be visible in awkward positions.  

The Razor is more than a step above the PST......and ridiculous to try and state otherwise. The Steiner glass is even better than the PST.

Have you shot the gen 2 back to back with the razor? I’ve done it a few times and found the gap to be very small. I get that the razor is more robust, made in Japan vs Philippines, better glass on paper etc but for the OPs purpose and budget the pst gen 2 is pretty darn close to what some consider the gold standard.

1 hour ago, DavidSeavey said:

i love my p4xi.  it's eyebox is very forgiving, and the center dot i find to be red dot bright, plus even if you find your head a little outside the eyebox and can't see your target through it the center dot is almost full bright right up to the edge of the optic so if you're shooting 2 eyes open it'll still be visible in awkward positions.  

Totally agree with Dave.  I love my Steiner, mostly shoot at 1x out to 100.  4x comes in handy at a couple of ranges we shoot at that go out to 300.  However, most of our local stuff is bays. 

ok can anyone rank dot brightness on steiner, razor2 hd (have one, just looking to put all these in perspective), meopta and vortex pst please???

I can only speak to both Vortex scopes. They are red dot bright and I recall a vortex rep noting when the pst gen 2 came out that they share the same emitter. From my experience there is zero difference in their dots.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 5:05 PM, Bsbllrooster said:

Another endorsement of the Steiner. I’ve had one several years now and love it. Great, clear glass and truly aimpoint bright dot. Total steal for what you pay for.

Me too- I use mine for deer hunting in the woods, perfect for that, 1-4X is plenty for my purpose and dot and glass are very nice. Not as long physically as most 1-6X either