Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 45 acp limited dead?

CzViper

You can get some pretty soft shooting loads that easily make major power factor with a 230g bullet.  That makes .45 an attractive alternative in single stack and L10 where there's no capacity advantage for .40. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old p14 (Canada made frame) I started out with. I could get 18 +1 (or 19+1 with the right grams kit a Para tube and rollsized brass) in the first mag and then used and Sti for Para mag for the reloads... On most stages I see today I would be at a small disadvantage but not enough it would bother me much... Would I build a gun like that now? No. If I had one or just loved 45 it would be fine.

Edited by caspian guy

Yep, .40 killed .45 in the mid 90’s.

like others said you could build a Para tuned gun to hold 18 rounds, (that were the gun that started killing single stack limited guns).

But even those diehards switched to .40 in their Paras, or like most jumped to 2011 and 20+ rounds in .40

I have seen recently some matches that plan on 18 round stage max? so you could dust off one of those .45 guns and be in the game. But even so 20 or 21 is just more flexible, and allows a margin of error to push faster.

But let’s face it, for most mortals, shooting an 18 round vs 21 round gun, or .45 vs .40 is not the main limiting factor holding the shooter back from being competitive at lower levels. 😎

Since the thread drifted......

I just recently had Venom Customs do a 1911 build for me and went with 40. I would have just bought basicly the exact gun in 9mm he already had built and fpr sale except for the fact I had just recently shot 40 minor for the first time. I couldn't believe it. It shot much softer then my 9mm 1911 with 129pf loads. Like enough for me to chrono a couple rounds. Amazing. So 40 it was. 

As a guy who shoots .45 in SS major I will say do yourself a favor and buy the .40. Not only will you be glad you did for the extra mag capacity in limited, but you will appreciate it at the reloading bench as well. It is cheaper to reload .40 and easier because now .45 is showing up with small pistol primer pockets, which is a total pain. I am only sticking with.45 because I have a ton of large pistol primers. 

.40 Major SS is fine, but minor, its tricky to get one to 100% reliability.  Most serious SS dudes started out thinking one 1911 could do both but ended up picking up a 9mm for Minor instead.