Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 45 acp limited dead?

CzViper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sane person builds a gun in 45 to shoot limited, if that is what you are wondering.  But there is a local guy and i have seen a couple others that use a 45 in limited cause that is what they have.  It can work and i would actually use it over 9 given the option, but it is not optimum 

Does anybody shoot 45 acp for limited division or is 40 S&W pretty much what everybody uses?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

yea it's dead.
you just can't get to the same capacity as 40 with 140mm mags

Yes, I'm just getting into USPSA and I'm looking at a custom build. From reading I'm sticking with major for the scoring.

Using 140mm mags it's 16 for 45 acp and 20 for 40 S&W. From what I understand once you get that low in the mag there would be a reload anyhow. So is there a need for the extra rounds in stages that anyone has experienced?

Or is it more the recoil that people use 40 S&W?

Yes, I'm just getting into USPSA and I'm looking at a custom build. From reading I'm sticking with major for the scoring.

Using 140mm mags it's 16 for 45 acp and 20 for 40 S&W. From what I understand once you get that low in the mag there would be a reload anyhow. So is there a need for the extra rounds in stages that anyone has experienced?

in my experience, 45 shot softer than 40(handloads) BUT absolutely yes better to have the 20 rounds. unless you can guarantee yourself you can go one for one on all your targets. No, it's never good yo go to empty

1 hour ago, CzViper said:

If you are getting a limited gun built, what reason would you have to shoot a 45?

When was it ever alive ?
I think at one time single stack mags didnt have to meet the 140 rule,, So maybe 45 limited would be fine in 10 round only states,,, But other than that youd be a one legged man at an ass kicking contest

53 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

When was it ever alive ?
I think at one time single stack mags didnt have to meet the 140 rule,, So maybe 45 limited would be fine in 10 round only states,,, But other than that youd be a one legged man at an ass kicking contest

Appendix D2 section 8 states: "Maximum magazine Length - 5.561"(141.25mm) or 6.742"(171.25mm) in single stack guns."
The rule still exists but I don't think you get any extra capacity with the 170mm SS mags in 45 (or any round for that matter) only increased reliability and cost.   

If you are getting a limited gun built, what reason would you have to shoot a 45?
Don't mind the 45 recoil if I'm making major and I can get a great deal on a custom 45 right now.

Getting some opinions if it's worth it to save some cash and time if recoil isn't the issue.

Seems like the extra rounds is what really play a part.

I remember some were getting 18 + 1 shooting Para's in .45.  Bullet cost would be the biggest negative in my opinion.  Extra capacity with .40  is nice but you can still be competitive using a ,45 in Limited.

6 hours ago, CzViper said:

Don't mind the 45 recoil if I'm making major and I can get a great deal on a custom 45 right now.

Getting some opinions if it's worth it to save some cash and time if recoil isn't the issue.

Recoil is a non factor either way, but overtime the 45 will cost you more in components.  Also you might not think it, but giving up the 4 rounds is a huge issue.  If you get  the 45 you will wish you had waited an got a 40.  There is a reason that there is a great deal on a 45 limited gun, it is cause in limited 45 basically sucks.  With the exception of single stack, every division has a dominate caliber, there is a reason why that is

As others have said the only reason would be that you’re just starting and only have a gun in 45. More bullets is always better in this game. I recently switched to limited from production (shooting a a 2011 in 40) and can’t think of a match that had a stage where I didn’t plan on going 18 or 20 before a reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, CzViper said:

if it's worth it to save some cash and time if recoil isn't the issue.

To save $500 and shoot 16 round mags against your competition with 20 rounds/mag,

you are at a disadvantage.   For $500.

If you're just fooling around and shooting local matches for recreation 1-2 times/month,

and taking the winter off, it might be worth it to you.  But, if you're shooting more often,

and you're serious about moving as high in the rankings as YOU can, or shooting major

events, you are saving pennies compared to the total cost of your annual shooting budget.

Many stages are 8-round friendly - so you start out with 17 rounds in the gun, and you

cannot have ANY extra shots, or you are going to have at least the next, if not all the next,

standing reloads.   Everyone else can take three (3) extra shots/position and keep going.

That's a big disadvantage.  Depends on how big $500 is to you.

( Plus, reloading the .40 is cheaper than reloading .45 - so you'll save $300 -400 / year

in reloading the .40).    :cheers:

2 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

single stack major

You wouldn't know it where I shoot (Richmond CA), .45 brass is as rare as .38 Super. Brass picked up is like 60% 9mm, 39% .40 S&W and 1% split between .45 & .38 Super. Maybe the guy shooting .45 picks up most of his brass and the guy shooting .38 Super picks up most of his, who knows. You don't find it on the ground though.

You wouldn't know it where I shoot (Richmond CA), .45 brass is as rare as .38 Super. Brass picked up is like 60% 9mm, 39% .40 S&W and 1% split between .45 & .38 Super. Maybe the guy shooting .45 picks up most of his brass and the guy shooting .38 Super picks up most of his, who knows. You don't find it on the ground though.

I think many of the few that still shoot single stack are shooting minor (9 or 40).

1 hour ago, MJinPA said:

I think many of the few that still shoot single stack are shooting minor (9 or 40).

As hard as it is to get a .40 S&W 1911 here in California, there are more than a few at any match I go to. 

As hard as it is to get a .40 S&W 1911 here in California, there are more than a few at any match I go to. 

Ah! I’m in PA and sometimes forget how F’d up CA laws are.

Truth is 45 is just about dead everywhere.

I'll shoot it some in Single stack, but as arthritis gets the better of me 9mm sees the most action these days.

As to the OP question, YES. 45acp is dead in limited. Really for serious competitors, all things being equal, there's no reason not to shoot 40 in Limited.