Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW 92X Performance

Stony Lane

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The extended slide release (thumb rest, "*thumb rest [generic]*") will cause problems with most holsters. 

(the 92X won't fit far enough into my Red Hill Tactical made for a Wilson Brig - Brig slide and rail)

I bought the competition thunder holster from Beretta USA.

It is made of thin material (not ideal), but it works.  (92X shown in picture)

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/x-thunder-holster-92-rh-black/e02636/

Hopefully, other holster manufacturers will step in as the guns arrive in greater numbers.

I use a Blade Tec 92 holster and it works fine. No interference. Was made for the 92G.

There will be Lok grips coming "soon." I for one will definitely be trying them as stippling the nylon grips isn't enough texture nor are they thick enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm running into a problem now that I have some time to shoot the Beretta a little bit. After trying to field strip the gun, the slide does not come off of the frame. This is the first time attempting since I received it from Langdon. Any ideas as to why the slide will not come off of the frame of the gun? 

The 92 X'perf could have been much better, but they did not ask me to try it out before announcement so it came as is.

New owners have rose colored glasses that even in a brisk discussion fail to admit exist... Did you ever meet an unhappy Beamer or Benz owner after many trips to the service center? 🙂

Nope.

Touji,

I wrote Beretta about this and they said: (paraphrased) 

We spoke about this with the engineers and they said it only shows up on a few pistols and the engineers believe it will break in.

When a closed fist sometimes did not work, I had to smack my slide off with a rubber  mallet.

1 hour ago, gnappi said:

The 92 X'perf could have been much better, but they did not ask me to try it out before announcement so it came as is.

New owners have rose colored glasses that even in a brisk discussion fail to admit exist... Did you ever meet an unhappy Beamer or Benz owner after many trips to the service center? 🙂

Nope.

Touji,

We spoke about this with the engineers and they said it only shows up on a few pistols and the engineers believe it will break in.

When a closed fist sometimes did not work, I had to smack my slide off with a rubber  mallet.

Serious question:

How did you get to talk to someone at Beretta who knew anything? I nded to get someone there to fill out the form to get the 92X perf on the Production list. Anyone who has advice on this matter is welcome to reply or PM me.

11 hours ago, gnappi said:

Nope.

Touji,

So if I'm reading this right, Beretta is saying that this is normal and that the slide will come off the frame AFTER it breaks in? So they expect us to spent a ton of rounds breaking it in before we can change out recoil springs? HAHA

Overall the X'perf was a disappointment. I like shooting it, but being the owner of several other Beretta models, aside from the frame safety it doesn't do much of anything my other Berettas or Taurus clones do not do as well. I also have other all steel 9's that perform equally well (without the nits I have with the X'perf) most notably my Tanfo Match, and Sig P226ST.

To a died in the wool Beretta lover that's hard to swallow but my expectations of the X'perf were high and for the most part not met. 

50 minutes ago, gnappi said:

Overall the X'perf was a disappointment. I like shooting it, but being the owner of several other Beretta models, aside from the frame safety it doesn't do much of anything my other Berettas or Taurus clones do not do as well. I also have other all steel 9's that perform equally well (without the nits I have with the X'perf) most notably my Tanfo Match, and Sig P226ST.

To a died in the wool Beretta lover that's hard to swallow but my expectations of the X'perf were high and for the most part not met. 

I'm sorry you dont like the XPerf. It sounds to me like you wanted something that wasn't a gun. I mean, yeah a Taurus clone is the same thing in that it fires 9mm, has a trigger, is made of steel, etc. Elizabeth Warren is a woman and so is Ana de Armas so both should be just as good in every way, right?

I get it. The 92X Perf isn't for everyone. My Tanfos, 1911s, Sigs, etc. are all good in their own ways. I honestly don't shoot the Xperf as well as guns I've shot for years. Yet, I love it just the same. It looks pimp, it points so well, the trigger is a joy, and the finish is incredible - so easy to clean. The gun is made extremely well with many aspects geared to high round count. The finish and chromed barrel in particular.

I think your kvetching over the disassembly is probably unwarranted. Mine has a bit of tightness to get the slide off and sometimes feels stuck, but I use my hands and take the gun apart. No damage is evident.

I want this gun to be a success because I want Beretta to make more guns like this. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Did you wind up in Limited 10 or in Open? 😳😳

RM let me go to Limited 10. Which was nice but I would have been OK with Open. I didn't go to win but to have fun. Which it was. One of the best matches every year.

8 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I think your kvetching over the disassembly is probably unwarranted. Mine has a bit of tightness to get the slide off and sometimes feels stuck, but I use my hands and take the gun apart. No damage is evident.

I want this gun to be a success because I want Beretta to make more guns like this. 

My main issue is that I can't get the slide off of the frame at all. It isn't that it feels stuck, but it is actually stuck. I've tried using a plastic punch and a small punch hammer with no luck. I'm going to have to find a mallet and possibly sacrifice my rear sight to get the slide off so I can change recoil springs. 

4 minutes ago, touji said:

My main issue is that I can't get the slide off of the frame at all. It isn't that it feels stuck, but it is actually stuck. I've tried using a plastic punch and a small punch hammer with no luck. I'm going to have to find a mallet and possibly sacrifice my rear sight to get the slide off so I can change recoil springs. 

Beretta absolutely won't warranty it? How about talking to Langdon? I spoke to them about my Elite LTT and they helped me figure out the cause of a malfunction.

Stupid question: Did you try pushing it the other way i.e. backwards? I had to do that once on my Xperf. Well, maybe not had to but it solved my slide binding issue enough to take the slide off.

Unsure about Beretta but I've been talking to Langdon pretty frequently. At the moment, they've told me that they've never seen the slide bind issue before for the 92x performance and they're confused since they had to take the gun apart to do the trigger work. The only time they've seen disassembly issues, it was barrel related. I was told to lube the locking block and let it penetrate for a few days and try again. If it doesn't work, I'll be sending it to LTT before I engage Beretta. Although, hearing that Beretta is aware of the issue and is saying it's a break-in issue, not sure if it's even worth sending it back and just hammering the slide off myself. 

When you say you had to push it backwards, are you talking about the takedown lever?

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I'm sorry you dont like the XPerf. It sounds to me like you wanted something that wasn't a gun. I mean, yeah a Taurus clone is the same thing in that it fires 9mm, has a trigger, is made of steel, etc. Elizabeth Warren is a woman and so is Ana de Armas so both should be just as good in every way, right?

I get it. The 92X Perf isn't for everyone. My Tanfos, 1911s, Sigs, etc. are all good in their own ways. I honestly don't shoot the Xperf as well as guns I've shot for years. Yet, I love it just the same. It looks pimp, it points so well, the trigger is a joy, and the finish is incredible - so easy to clean. The gun is made extremely well with many aspects geared to high round count. The finish and chromed barrel in particular.

You never saw me saying I don't like it, just that it could be better and I did not like their attitude about the slide frame fitment. And actually I'm "kvetching" about a WHOLE LOT more than slide disassembly. Beretta made other boo-boos that I overlook but it's not particularly user friendly. 

Reaching the Slide stop with the right hand is much like a Tanfo, I can say that's my only beef with the Witness. I use my left thumb. 

But the hammer buried in the (very high mounted) rear sight in a DA gun? Really? That's bad design, as is the sharp edges on the rail which bite me when I rack the slide from under the dust cover. The take down lever feels like it has sand in it,  a trigger with serrations? Why do that? The frame stippling and slide serrations are very rough cut, the worst I've seen and uncomfortable. Scratch that, the rear frame cuts force me to stop shooting it after a box and a half or so of ammo.

Lastly IF they were going after Tanfo delivering it with two 15 round mags with plastic pads when they have 17's and rubber pads in stock?  

In general I'm a Beretta fan boy there are  several in my safe with 92's and 96's among them. 

If your XP doesn't exhibit / have these ergo issues I can only assume yours was better made than mine, you're less prone to be critical or mine was a rush job Monday build. Given that CNC doesn't have a hangover from Sunday, I doubt mine is unique.

2 hours ago, touji said:

Unsure about Beretta but I've been talking to Langdon pretty frequently. At the moment, they've told me that they've never seen the slide bind issue before for the 92x performance and they're confused since they had to take the gun apart to do the trigger work. The only time they've seen disassembly issues, it was barrel related. I was told to lube the locking block and let it penetrate for a few days and try again. If it doesn't work, I'll be sending it to LTT before I engage Beretta. Although, hearing that Beretta is aware of the issue and is saying it's a break-in issue, not sure if it's even worth sending it back and just hammering the slide off myself. 

When you say you had to push it backwards, are you talking about the takedown lever?

No I think I had to bring it back to get the locking block pin (which impacts the frame and unlocks the barrel) back into alignment with the locking block. The block can wander a bit left to right and if it does so it wont pivot. What Langdon says about living the block makes sense in that context.

I'd do whatever Langdon told me to. If they say send it in to them or Beretta you probably should. If you have a competent, experienced gunsmith locally they may also be able to look at it and figure out how to get it apart.