Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LRBHO in PCC? Yea or Nay? (moved from LRBHO thread)

Hello: I have a Glock and a Colt QC10 lowers and they both have been 100%. The Glock lower has to have strong magazine springs or it will not lock back 100% of the time. The Magpul 21 round mags work great. Glock factory mags work great with no base pads. The Glock mags with extra power springs and base pads work great. I only use factory Glock mags and the Magpul 21 round ones. The Colt Metalform mags are 100%. Not sure why you would need lock open on the last round for gun games since if you are at that point you are already behind. Thanks, Eric

Kalifornia passed a law that requires turning in, selling out of state or destroying all magazines greater than 10 rounds by July 1st, even if they were previously legally possessed. Everyone shooting a PCC with a rear charging handle will want a LRBHO so they can drop the bolt release rather than charge it if they shoot to bolt lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, 1911luvr said:

Kalifornia passed a law that requires turning in, selling out of state or destroying all magazines greater than 10 rounds, even if they were previously legally possessed. Everyone shooting a PCC with a rear charging handle will want a LRBHO so they can drop the bolt release rather than charge it if they shoot to bolt lock.

Hello: But it looks like he is in South Dakota not 10 round mag land. Thanks, Eric

Hello: But it looks like he is in South Dakota not 10 round mag land. Thanks, Eric

It wasn't for his benefit necessarily, but for basic information as to why someone would want that, and more importantly to vent about the corruption of the ruling class of lawmakers here. Sigh

11 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

It wasn't for his benefit necessarily, but for basic information as to why someone would want that, and more importantly to vent about the corruption of the ruling class of lawmakers here. Sigh

Hello: I hear ya. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2017 at 7:31 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have a Glock and a Colt QC10 lowers and they both have been 100%. The Glock lower has to have strong magazine springs or it will not lock back 100% of the time. The Magpul 21 round mags work great. Glock factory mags work great with no base pads. The Glock mags with extra power springs and base pads work great. I only use factory Glock mags and the Magpul 21 round ones. The Colt Metalform mags are 100%. Not sure why you would need lock open on the last round for gun games since if you are at that point you are already behind. Thanks, Eric

Not really,

A number of states have 10 rd only mag restrictions so they have to have a reliable lock back to be competitive.

Unfortunately I live in one of them.

49 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: So you can start with 10 in the mag and load one in the chamber. Shoot 10 rounds and reload with one still in the chamber. Thanks, Eric

That is what we all try to do but but counting rds is not the way to go,

Throw in some steel in a 8 or 10 round array, a few misses and then that s when lock back comes in handy.

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

That is what we all try to do but but counting rds is not the way to go,

Throw in some steel in a 8 or 10 round array, a few misses and then that s when lock back comes in handy.

I have to disagree. If you can get in the habit of counting rounds and avoid the bolt locking back you will be a better shooter. 

4 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Mostly knock down steel. My open gun has lrho disabled as do many other shooters. When you can lose a match in a fraction of a second why would you want to mess with another of your guns functions?

Knock down steel is WAY easier to keep track of shots than a match mixed with paper and steel.

Do what you think is best for you.

Me, I will concentrate more on hits, movement and my stage plan than how many shots I have fired.

@Aircooled6racer @Shootymacshootface How much time have you spent shooting Production?

There’s a reason NONE of us run a disabled slide stop in Production. Sometimes you need to push to 11 in a position in order to gain a competitive advantage (take one more popper over here, delete an entire position later on.)

Sometimes you just really need that extra round when makeup shots get out of hand.

And anytime you fire an extra couple of shots, or  you engage a target twice, or do anything else that puts you off your plan as you exit and load? It’s nice to know for certain that you didn’t just speedload underneath an empty chamber, and you won’t be arriving with a click.

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Aircooled6racer @Shootymacshootface How much time have you spent shooting Production?

There’s a reason NONE of us run a disabled slide stop in Production. Sometimes you need to push to 11 in a position in order to gain a competitive advantage (take one more popper over here, delete an entire position later on.)

Sometimes you just really need that extra round when makeup shots get out of hand.

And anytime you fire an extra couple of shots, or  you engage a target twice, or do anything else that puts you off your plan as you exit and load? It’s nice to know for certain that you didn’t just speedload underneath an empty chamber, and you won’t be arriving with a click.

Exactly my point!

MemphisMechanic, I am not sure how much PCC you have shot? You plan your reloads when using a PCC since with the longer barrel it can be real pain to reload in tight spaces. Now back to the original question about bolt release. I would look for one that is machined over a cast unit. Not sure who make a machined one. Also I would limit how far back your bolt goes so it doesn't get a running start at breaking your release. 1/4" under full compression should be about right. You may have to lighten your bolt release spring as well so it locks back. Thanks, Eric

33 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

All good and valid points, but if you are locking back all of the time, then you are not shooting to your best potential. 

Planning to 11. Twice. And winning the match:

It’s something of a pet peeve listening to guys like yourself and @Aircooled6racer  who don’t shoot SS or Prod try to parrot advice like “always count your shots and never run the gun dry.”

I’ll flip your line right back around at you: if you’re not willing to plan to fire an 11th shot every now and again to gain an advantage, you’re not shooting to your best potential.

I can list at least two times I’ve pushed to 11 rounds once (or twice) in a stage, and the result has been a stage win over guys doing an extra reload later on.

If you shoot limited capacity in any division, you want the bolt/slide to lock back. It’s a big timesaver in both planned and unplanned situations. That should be obvious.

That said, neither my PCC nor my Carry Optics gun lock open and I’m thrilled with how they’re set up. I just wouldn’t be willing to do that in a 10rd division.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It depends if there are mag restrictions or not. If the number of rounds are limited by a rule set to say 10 rounds then yes I want LRBHO, otherwise no. The LRBHO function works on my PCC but it is disabled since it is short stroked. I can remove a spacer in my buffer system and it works as intended. 

Hello: It's funny you should say I never shoot production or single stack because I do. I am classified in all divisions so I am well aware of what needs to be done on stages for each division. This is about trying to get the original poster a long lasting bolt release not teaching people how to shoot Production. Look at the Seekins bolt release. I have one and it works very well on my QC10 PCC with Colt mags. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer
1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Planning to 11. Twice. And winning the match:

It’s something of a pet peeve listening to guys like yourself and @Aircooled6racer  who don’t shoot SS or Prod try to parrot advice like “always count your shots and never run the gun dry.”

I’ll flip your line right back around at you: if you’re not willing to plan to fire an 11th shot every now and again to gain an advantage, you’re not shooting to your best potential.

I can list at least two times I’ve pushed to 11 rounds once (or twice) in a stage, and the result has been a stage win over guys doing an extra reload later on.

If you shoot limited capacity in any division, you want the bolt/slide to lock back. It’s a big timesaver in both planned and unplanned situations. That should be obvious.

That said, neither my PCC nor my Carry Optics gun lock open and I’m thrilled with how they’re set up. I just wouldn’t be willing to do that in a 10rd division.

Perfect!

Well, I  think everyone does what works for them, and we all arrived from a different discipline. For me, gaming includes counting and not making any unnecessary moves.

I can totally see from your points of veiw why you use lrbho as part of your game.

Also, with a 40rd pcc mag, there is not a chance I could count all those shots in a match. Instead I reload at a preselected point on the course.

Lastly, I would like you guys to know that if I were in an actual combat situation, you bet your ass that I would want lrbho!

Thanks,

Shooty

34 minutes ago, bwikel said:

It depends if there are mag restrictions or not. If the number of rounds are limited by a rule set to say 10 rounds then yes I want LRBHO, otherwise no. The LRBHO function works on my PCC but it is disabled since it is short stroked. I can remove a spacer in my buffer system and it works as intended. 

Same here. In fact, I took the little wire out since it got in the way of cleaning upper.

Shot counting:  I don't count all shots, just make-up shots. The "reload now" alarm goes off after a certain number of MUS depending on division. And if I just go brain dead, I will reload and reset. 😉