Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Trigger

Baldwin

I live in a rural area and the few gun stores in my area do not carry CZs and none of the guys I shoot with have a CZ.  I'm wanting to get a SP 01 Tactical or maybe even a Shadow 2.  I have no qualms with buying a gun online sight unseen but I'm curious about what to expect with the trigger on a CZ.  I have a Glock, two P series Sigs and a Dan Wesson 1911.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the trigger on a SP 01 Tactical, out of the box, would compare to the trigger on say a P226?  I was thinking specifically about the crispness and the reach.  I have smallish hands and have installed thinner grips and short reach triggers on both of the Sigs.  I know this sounds like a crazy question, but any info will be appreciated.

Depends on who does the trigger.  The kits are great when done right.  Stock you won't be impressed.  SPO1 out of the box is around 10lb in DA and 5 in SA.  Those numbers get cut down greatly with the installation of a trigger kit and some polishing.  The reach reduction is much needed for people with normal size hands.  

I am a big fan of the sig p226 and the cz/tanfo platforms.  My personal opinion is that out of the box a sp-01 will be easier to reach the trigger than a factory 226.  The grip circumference will be smaller for the sp-01 as well.  Starting from half cock with a sp-01 tactical the DA pull will be lighter as well. While a sp-01 with a safety will have a similar pull weight but, I feel that cz has a better stock DA pull.  The reset on a sig with the SRT will be shorter and much more crisp though than any out of the box factory cz.  The lower bore axis of the cz will mean your gun will come back on target faster with the sp-01. The overall quality of a sig is superior to a SP-01, again just my opinion here. The other big difference is the way you you hold a sig in relation to the target compared to a CZ.  You can do more of a lollipop style hold with the cz unlike the sig with factory sights where you are holding more center mass on the target.

It will be easier to improve the trigger of a cz vs a sig p226 as well.  Bringing the overall pull weight down even more than with a sig it is definitely not hard to get the cz SA reset close to the sig in terms of distance and far lighter in pull weight.  I shoot cz's and Tanfo's at matches but keep a sig bedside if that tells you anything.

Edited by billthemarine2862

Sp01s have a pretty awful out of the box trigger. It's a duty gun though. They can be made quite nice with kits from Cajun or CZCustom.

The Shadow 2 actually has a nice trigger out of the box since it's a purpose built competition gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I had a SP01, trigger was not good. I had CGW build with the Pro Package and was much better. I ending up selling, if I did it over I would get the Shadow 2 they are good out of the box but a kit will help it a lot as well 

Edited by Kilrb

9 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I am a big fan of the sig p226 and the cz/tanfo platforms.  My personal opinion is that out of the box a sp-01 will be easier to reach the trigger than a factory 226.  The grip circumference will be smaller for the sp-01 as well.  Starting from half cock with a sp-01 tactical the DA pull will be lighter as well. While a sp-01 with a safety will have a similar pull weight but, I feel that cz has a better stock DA pull.  The reset on a sig with the SRT will be shorter and much more crisp though than any out of the box factory cz.  The lower bore axis of the cz will mean your gun will come back on target faster with the sp-01. The overall quality of a sig is superior to a SP-01, again just my opinion here. The other big difference is the way you you hold a sig in relation to the target compared to a CZ.  You can do more of a lollipop style hold with the cz unlike the sig with factory sights where you are holding more center mass on the target.

It will be easier to improve the trigger of a cz vs a sig p226 as well.  Bringing the overall pull weight down even more than with a sig it is definitely not hard to get the cz SA reset close to the sig in terms of distance and far lighter in pull weight.  I shoot cz's and Tanfo's at matches but keep a sig bedside if that tells you anything.

Great info!  This is what I was looking for.  Many thanks.

Get the S2! 

Order a lightened main and recoil spring, install an extended firing pin, and you will be good to go with about $50 of modifications.  Doing nothing more than that, I ended up with a very nice 5 lb. DA and a 2-1/2 lb. SA trigger pull.  

The S2 is closer to a finely tuned match pistol than anything else available!  (MY opinion...)  

The only thing I would change about the S2 is I wish it would make weight for use in IDPA.  

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

Order a lightened main and recoil spring, install an extended firing pin, and you will be good to go with about $50 of modifications.  Doing nothing more than that, I ended up with a very nice 5 lb. DA and a 2-1/2 lb. SA trigger pull.  

The S2 is closer to a finely tuned match pistol than anything else available!  (MY opinion...)  

Do you remember what the stock pull weights were like?

IIRC, they were ~ 7 lb. DA and 4 lb. SA stock.  Pretty smooth, right out of the box, and even smoother with a little use.  (I did NO polishing of the internals at all.) 

The pulls got a lot better after the spring changes.  

I can easily get even lighter trigger pulls by switching to a 8.5 lb. hammer spring, but I don't feel the need (I am using a 11.5# hammer spring).  If I did want to use the 8.5# hammer spring, I would probably switch to Federal primers to ensure reliability.  However, it lights CCI's, Win, and S&B primers now with NO issues, and I am happy. 

It really feels lighter than what the trigger gauge says, because it is so smooth.  

12 hours ago, Baldwin said:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the trigger on a SP 01 Tactical, out of the box, would compare to the trigger on say a P226?  I was thinking specifically about the crispness and the reach.  I have smallish hands and have installed thinner grips and short reach triggers on both of the Sigs.  I know this sounds like a crazy question, but any info will be appreciated.

Well, if you want to compare a bone stock CZ75b model vs. a Sig P226, it will most likely feel heavier, less smooth, and will probably have more grit and creep. The double action reach will be just as long, if not longer than the P226. After some live and dry firing, the action will get smoother but it won't feel less heavy unless you modify it.

On the other hand, if a CZ75b model has been properly polished and fully upgraded, the trigger will feel lighter, smoother, and more crisp than the typical P226 trigger, even the ones from Bruce Grey.

I have small ayshun hands and I just learned to deal with the double action pull.

Edited by himurax13

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

IIRC, they were ~ 7 lb. DA and 4 lb. SA stock.  Pretty smooth, right out of the box, and even smoother with a little use.  (I did NO polishing of the internals at all.) 

The pulls got a lot better after the spring changes.  

I can easily get even lighter trigger pulls by switching to a 8.5 lb. hammer spring, but I don't feel the need (I am using a 11.5# hammer spring).  If I did want to use the 8.5# hammer spring, I would probably switch to Federal primers to ensure reliability.  However, it lights CCI's, Win, and S&B primers now with NO issues, and I am happy. 

It really feels lighter than what the trigger gauge says, because it is so smooth.  

The numbers game always confused me, ive always had a hard time correlating measured pull to what im "feeling" when it comes to triggers. 

From what I remember, the stock SA on the S2 was nice, but could be just a touch lighter. Either way I want to go the CGW built route just so its tip top out of the box. 

2 hours ago, nick779 said:

The numbers game always confused me, ive always had a hard time correlating measured pull to what im "feeling" when it comes to triggers. 

From what I remember, the stock SA on the S2 was nice, but could be just a touch lighter. Either way I want to go the CGW built route just so its tip top out of the box. 

You'll be happy with it, regardless of whether you change springs yourself, or have someone else do it. 

My S2 didn't NEED much work, and as I understand it, that is "normal" for this model!  

I got s-2 several months back and I changed the  to a 11.5 hammer spring and a reduced trigger return spring ,ended up with a 2.5 sa pull don’t remember what the D-A pull is cause I don’t use it in any of the stuff I shoot in,didn’t have any primer ignition problems but changed to the longer FP and reduced spring anyway just to be on the safe side. I really like the trigger and the gun coming from p-320’s and glocks it’s so nice. 

For reach issues you are lucky enough to be able to source a 75 recurve trigger...this makes a huge difference to the reach (a friend has one in his SP01 from about 15 years ago when they were sold here)

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/triggers/cz-75-recurve-trigger-05a.html

I too have smaller hands and arthritis in my shooting hand which makes even an 11lb hammer spring too painful (thanks to a kickboxing uh, incident years ago!) so can only wish I could buy one from CZ custom...even found and paid for one on ebay until the seller learned that export was against ebay's policies. The roughly 2K a dealer/importer would have to pay for an export licence is something none would undertake, of course....so my only recourse would be to find a kind US resident willing to alllow me to send them the $ for purchase and mail out, unobtrusively. Alas I have no US contacts so that brings me to a dead end on it...unless I can think of another way. A Canadian friend offered to see if he could snag one on a visit south but no go with a non-US credit card. Shooting in a match with only a handful of DA pulls might be fine but any amount of dry firing is out, unless I was to cock it in SA every time, which kinda defeats the purpose really.

You can see here my Shadow's trigger at the top, compared to my well worn mate's gun underneath and the significant difference comparing the reach

IMG-20190119-164315.jpg

IMG-20190119-164334.jpg

IMG-20190119-164326.jpg

Edited by zhuk

20 minutes ago, zhuk said:

Shooting in a match with only a handful of DA pulls might be fine but any amount of dry firing is out, unless I was to cock it in SA every time, which kinda defeats the purpose really.

Total thread derailment here, but your statement above leads me to believe you aren't dryfiring correctly, or at least not getting the most benefit out of your dryfire as you could. You shouldn't be dryfiring in DA, or recocking every time for SA. That's not a good use of your time.  Do a search on some threads about dryfire training regimens, or better yet, just go get Ben Stoeger's book Dryfire Reloaded.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

3 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Total thread derailment here, but your statement above leads me to believe you aren't dryfiring correctly, or at least not getting the most benefit out of your dryfire as you could. You shouldn't be dryfiring in DA, or recocking every time for SA. That's not a good use of your time.  Do a search on some threads about dryfire training regimens, or better yet, just go get Ben Stoeger's book Dryfire Reloaded.

If you want to simulate dry firing in single action, you are better off engaging the safety with the hammer back and just press the trigger like you normally would. The hammer won't fall, but the trigger wont reset back to the double action mode.

Personally I despise the recurve trigger. I have found that every single double action gun that has that style of trigger always leads to the trigger stinging my finger (i.e. stock SP01, SP01 Tactical, and double action Tanfoglio etc) I have found the old style 85 combat trigger to be the most comfortable, albeit a slightly longer reach, and the best performing one out of the available DA/SA triggers for this platform.

5 hours ago, ClangClang said:

I have only ever shot a striker fired gun (M&P), that Shadow pictured is presently at the importers waiting for him to swap the mag release over to lefty configuration and have a couple of things done to it, I have never shot it as yet. So you'll have to forgive me for ignorance in how as to dry fire a hammer pistol...if not DA every time how else would you be expected to do it?

2 hours ago, himurax13 said:

If you want to simulate dry firing in single action, you are better off engaging the safety with the hammer back and just press the trigger like you normally would. The hammer won't fall, but the trigger wont reset back to the double action mode.

Personally I despise the recurve trigger. I have found that every single double action gun that has that style of trigger always leads to the trigger stinging my finger (i.e. stock SP01, SP01 Tactical, and double action Tanfoglio etc) I have found the old style 85 combat trigger to be the most comfortable, albeit a slightly longer reach, and the best performing one out of the available DA/SA triggers for this platform.

Yeah I can't see the point in why you'd want to dry fire in single action, considering isn't practising holding a sight picture through a long DA pull the whole point?

Have read many reports of people hating the recurve trigger for that very reason, I guess it depends if you have larger hands and thicker fingers (which I definitely don't)

10 hours ago, zhuk said:

Yeah I can't see the point in why you'd want to dry fire in single action, considering isn't practising holding a sight picture through a long DA pull the whole point?

Have read many reports of people hating the recurve trigger for that very reason, I guess it depends if you have larger hands and thicker fingers (which I definitely don't)

Well, you only need to fire once per stage in double action, unless you get a light primer strike. The rest of your shots would be in single action so why would you want to practice wasted move me,t that with double action shots?

I have one friend who prefers the recurve trigger, but he is nutz, lol.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, himurax13 said:

Well, you only need to fire once per stage in double action, unless you get a light primer strike. The rest of your shots would be in single action so why would you want to practice wasted move me,t that with double action shots?

I have one friend who prefers the recurve trigger, but he is nutz, lol.

Hey himurax

Absolutely but I was really referring to dryfire for double action trigger pulls...since that is the majority of your trigger time (unfortunately)