Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
oteroman

Need Coated 124’s recommendation

Posted (edited)

Most of the time I use an RCBS seater and Lee taper crimp die; both can seat and crimp but I do them in separate operations. (Separate stations on a Dillon 550) Sometimes I use a Lee FCD when appropriate but not usually. 

You really don't want to seat and crimp in the same stage with lead bullets (cast/lubed, coated, etc), that's a sure way to get lead shavings around the case mouth.

If your crimp die is a Lee taper crimp and not the FCD, it sounds like you have the same dies for seating and crimping? Easy to tell, the FCD has a carbide sizer ring at the opening, but the standard seat/crimp die does not.

If you're seeing brass shaving with that crimp die, it's probably a bit rough inside. It should not do that. Try swapping it with your seater die (if they are both the same die), maybe that one has a smoother crimp taper. You'll have to re-adjust each one for seating and crimping respectively of course. 

Edited by Yondering

What is the hardness of the DG and Bayou bullets? Just wondering...  I've shot 100k+ of the Bayou's over the years with very good results.

Bayou’s are between 16 and 18 BHN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this thread was started, BBI has cut prices across their product line. With a team member's code for 7.5% additional off, they are priced very attractively.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Gonna give the Brazos 125gr 9mm a try.  Ordered a sample pack sized at .357 Wednesday, got a shipping notice Thursday afternoon and a follow up notice this morning, so far so good.  Looking forward to seeing how they perform in my 320X5.   

21 hours ago, dave33 said:

Gonna give the Brazos 125gr 9mm a try.  Ordered a sample pack sized at .357 Wednesday, got a shipping notice Thursday afternoon and a follow up notice this morning, so far so good.  Looking forward to seeing how they perform in my 320X5.   

i have the brazo 125 in .357 dia, they work fine, 4.0 sport pistol and 1.250 oal they fit all my 9"s

chet

Off the top of my head I think my load was 3.6gr Titegroup at 1.13-1.14” and that worked pretty well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, Im gonna be loading with AA#2.  Will let yall know how it works.