Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 10/22 BX-25 Mag Issues

I bought a Ruger 10/22 type carbine to shoot local steel matches. I say “type” because it is a Brownell’s 10/22 pistol receiver with a Ruger SR-22/Nordic system. I bought it so that I could use the new Ruger BX-25 rd. mags and finish a round w/o a mag change. So far, the BX-25 mags have been a letdown. They jam frequently and are basically useless. The 10 rd factory mags work flawlessly with any ammo, so I assume that the problem is with the 25 rounders, not the gun or the ammo.

Anyone here have the same problems with the new BX-25’s?

8 minutes ago, xtian999 said:

I bought a Ruger 10/22 type carbine to shoot local steel matches. I say “type” because it is a Brownell’s 10/22 pistol receiver with a Ruger SR-22/Nordic system. I bought it so that I could use the new Ruger BX-25 rd. mags and finish a round w/o a mag change. So far, the BX-25 mags have been a letdown. They jam frequently and are basically useless. The 10 rd factory mags work flawlessly with any ammo, so I assume that the problem is with the 25 rounders, not the gun or the ammo.

Anyone here have the same problems with the new BX-25’s?

I have issues as well.

Currently using duct tape to tighten the fit of the magazine.  Pretty well documented fix if you Google it.   I haven't shot enough with the "fix" to prove it.

Also,

This forum is more geared towards 9MM carbines  You might get some better info elsewhere if you don't get what you're looking for here.

Look up on the internet Ruger BX25 mag fixes. There is a way to take a used .22 brass shell and cut it down for type of bushing/bearing. Try it for it to help. Did it on mine and it worked.

gerrritm

Edited by gerritm

There are multiple long standing issues with BX-25 mags which is why you don't see (many) people using them in steel matches.  I don't even use mine for practice. Get six 10 round mags for matches.  Change mags for each string and you'll never have to worry about round count.

Here's a fix for the most common BX-25 feed problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSTumIx5tL0

Ok, thank all you guys for the help. I did the 22 brass bushing thing but left the rims off b/c I did not know about clearances. Also ran a small 1/2 round file over the lips a few strokes to knock down any burrs and facilitate a better nose-up attitude to the round. Did not know about the duct tape trick, but I had noticed the slopply fit of the 25’s and wondered about it. In fact, I get somewhat better reliability when I hold the mag with my forehand and keep it tight, but that is not my preferred grip.

I have tons of 10 rounders and most are doubled up w/a coupler. They work great. I also have a Ruger PC9 and can shoot 32 rd. mags all day, but I want to fix the BX-25 for long strings on the days I shoot .22 at a match. 

So I will shim up the mags w/some aluminum a/c tape and see what happens. 

I've got 3 dud BX25 mags too. I've seen countless others have similar problems.

Just stick to the tens...

Or. get an M&P15-22. Cheap 25 round mags that are easy to load, great ergonomics, you'll never look back. I regret ever buying my 10-22... so many after market things on it and ultimately, it's just not as good as the 15-22 off the shelf.

I bought the S&W yesterday. Glad I did it. Too bad Ruger cannot get it together. I really like the Nordic/SR-22 system, but the lack of reliable high cap mags is a deal killer. I will keep one handy for varmints, but the S&W will be my new steel match rifle. 

4 minutes ago, xtian999 said:

I like the Nordic/SR-22, but the lack of reliable high cap mags is a deal killer. I will keep one handy for varmints, but the S&W will be my new steel match rifle. 

Are you using the SR-22 for varmints because it's more accurate than the S&W ?

I have not compared the accuracy b/w the two.  I would only keep one of the 10/22 I have b/c 10 rounds is more than enough for pests. The 25 rounders were for long strings at the range.

Regarding SR-22 accuracy, both of mine are more accurate than I am, especially after removing the plastic doohickey under the bbl and shimming for droop.

Or. get an M&P15-22. Cheap 25 round mags that are easy to load, great ergonomics, you'll never look back. I regret ever buying my 10-22... so many after market things on it and ultimately, it's just not as good as the 15-22 off the shelf.

You forgot to add “trigger that will never be as good as a $100 Kidd 10/22 kit” which basically blows it out of the water for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

You may be right, but a round has to make it into the chamber first. I would not take a 10/22 with any kind of trigger to a match if the 25 round magazines do not work. But you can if you want to. 

I have the new  Ruger competition 10/22 rifle and have tried the 25 round magazines and I have also had nothing but major problems with them.   I’ve tried the YouTube fixes on them but still continue to have problems.  Going to stay with my 10 round magazines.

• 3 years later...

I hate the BX-25 magazine.

It turns a rifle into a stick.

Nothing but problems no matter what type of ammo.

Took all of the fun right out of my rifle.

Could have bought another brick of ammo for the money that I threw away for two worthless BX-25s, but who needs ammo for magazines that don't work anyway?