Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage plan

Stage plan 

What I do and it seems to help 

Find the targets where you are going to shoot them from!

Figure out the reloads 

Step back run the plan looking at the targets! Then close your eyes visualize the whole plan 7 times! 

Might help someone!

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice. I usually plan on being at a major the day before or that morning if I’m shooting in the afternoon. This way I have a lot more time to try different things. 

I realize this is not possible for everyone. So if I get there on the morning of the match where I’m shooting an AM squad, I definitely give myself AT LEAST an extra hour. Oh, and definitely bring a good flashlight for those winter/fall o’dark thirty matches. 

Still, I’ll usuall make sure I read and reread the WSB, and the first thing I do is count targets/rounds. Make sure what I see matches the sheet. Hugely important. Ask me how I know. 😉

then ill develop a plan plan based on my division/reloads. I try to keep it simple. If a certain plan will save me .5 seconds but I MAY not remember it as well, I’ll go with a simpler plan. But I’m not a GM so...

also, I try to look at a “start anywhere” Stage from both directions. Usually moving from left to right or uprange to downrange is easier on reloads but sometimes the opposite plan can give you better odds of success. 

On 3/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, Sdlrodeo said:

If a certain plan will save me .5 seconds but I MAY not remember it as well, I’ll go with a simpler plan. But I’m not a GM so...

This is my take as well. My mind can be an enemy. If I know a certain move will save time but I could forget it under duress Im more likely to avoid it. This is also why Im not a GM!

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I learned that a perfect plan poorly executed isn't as good as a near-perfect plan well executed. 

*Slight drift. . .we used to have a kick-ass club south of here called Cool Springs. Some of the best stage designs and setups you could find. I've been to many Level-II's that didn't put up stages as good as they did every month. People routinely got there early on Sunday to have a good look and work up their plans.

One Sunday morning the MD had one of his crew quietly remove a target from a stage during the shooter's meeting, and replace the WSB with an updated version reflecting the new total number of targets. It was pretty funny to see people looking for that target once their squad got on that stage.

Remember this as well. Once you form a plan and have been running it over and over in your mind, DO NOT CHANGE IT. Even if the plan sucks compared to what you are seeing others do. Of course on easy stages this isn’t as big a deal but if you are wo king hard to remember it it’s probably complex enough to be a total bomb if you change the plan when you are on deck.

• 2 months later...

Preview the stages before the match if possible, but not actively planning at this point.  Just looking for the path and the reload

Walk through as many times as possible during squad walk through (planning)

In the hole - chalk up, ready equipment, and rehearse in place (imprint)

On deck - rehearse in place behind the score keeper (imprint)

While scoring the shooter before me,  go through the stage getting a final imprint of the visuals (imprint)

Before I shoot, rehearse one last time in my head - then put the subconscious in control and Execute.

Plan - Imprint - Execute

I tend to expend 3 or 4x the effort on Imprinting than I do on Planning

Edited by blackfatbob

1 hour ago, blackfatbob said:

Preview the stages before the match if possible, but not actively planning at this point.  Just looking for the path and the reload

Walk through as many times as possible during squad walk through (planning)

In the hole - chalk up, ready equipment, and rehearse in place (imprint)

On deck - rehearse in place behind the score keeper (imprint)

While scoring the shooter before me,  go through the stage getting a final imprint of the visuals (imprint)

Before I shoot, rehearse one last time in my head - then put the subconscious in control and Execute.

Plan - Imprint - Execute

I tend to expend 3 or 4x the effort on Imprinting than I do on Planning

Great summary! Pretty much exactly what I do when I’m on my game. Last night however...

16 hours ago, Sdlrodeo said:

Great summary! Pretty much exactly what I do when I’m on my game. Last night however...

Yes, there is that focus and mental discipline part that I need to work on, too.  I would be a total disaster on the lady super squad.  😉