Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not more SBR in PCC?

15 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks...  Where's the best place to get your fingerprints printed?

Prints are good for 1 year from when done. You can request FREE cards from the ATF. My local sheriff's office will also provide them, OR you can order them on Amazon (make sure it's the right form #). That's what I did. I ordered a dozen cards online and brought them in with me. Sheriff just has to do the prints once and then it's a matter of printing them off in duplicate (here). 

Call around sheriff vs local pd vs next county over, etc. Mine does it 1x/wk and it's $10. I bring the cards with me and they'll print me as many off as I want. 

They look at me kind of funny when I ask for 10-20 cards each time, but between form 1's and 4's they go fast ;)

Edited by Acer2428
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to make sure I understand the Form 1 questions before I start to fill it out...  It asks for 'Manufacturer Name' and a drop down box matches the name to an existing group of names like Sig or Glock...  I'm building an SBR using a 'QuarterCircle 10' lower...  Can I type in 'QuarterCircle 10" for manufacturer's name or do I need click the 'Use Manufacturer Code' button and type in an 'FMI' code?

It looks like using the 'FMI' code kicks me into another bin and will add more "discovery" time to the project.  What manufacturer's code did those of you use that submitted Form 1 for an AR9 SBR use?

Get the free cards from the ATF by calling this phone number:  This card can be order from the ATF Distribution Center online or by calling (703) 870-7526 or (703) 870-7528.

They come with the Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) section info already filled in.  Call the number and tell them how many cards you want.  I called last week and 3-4 days later the cards arrived.  Here's a good guide to navigate the process:  https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-compliant-fd-258-fingerprint-cards-walk-through-guide

16 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Trying to make sure I understand the Form 1 questions before I start to fill it out...  It asks for 'Manufacturer Name' and a drop down box matches the name to an existing group of names like Sig or Glock...  I'm building an SBR using a 'QuarterCircle 10' lower...  Can I type in 'QuarterCircle 10" for manufacturer's name or do I need click the 'Use Manufacturer Code' button and type in an 'FMI' code?

It looks like using the 'FMI' code kicks me into another bin and will add more "discovery" time to the project.  What manufacturer's code did those of you use that submitted Form 1 for an AR9 SBR use?

Make sure you read the FAQ for QC10 serial numbers or your form 1 will be rejected by the ATF.  https://www.quartercircle10.com/faq

4 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Get the free cards from the ATF by calling this phone number:  This card can be order from the ATF Distribution Center online or by calling (703) 870-7526 or (703) 870-7528.

They come with the Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) section info already filled in.  Call the number and tell them how many cards you want.  I called last week and 3-4 days later the cards arrived.  Here's a good guide to navigate the process:  https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-compliant-fd-258-fingerprint-cards-walk-through-guide

Great information...  Thanks...  The National Gun Trusts site you linked to above also has a very helpful guide for filling out eForm 1.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-eform-1-nfa-tax-stamp-walk-through-guide

After reading through the guide, I think I'm going to file as an individual, instead of creating a trust...  Saves the expense of creating the trust and also eliminates filling out and submitting Form 23.

Got my Colt set up as an SBR and ran my first match with it last Saturday. Very simply it was the MOST FUN shooting I have ever had in USPSA.

Been shooting Production or SS since their inception, 3 steps reload, plan, plan, plan. Always shooting carry guns. The SBR was total freedom, accuracy of a rifle, unlimited shots, ignoring  reloads, confidence in the Aimpoint. It was like WOW.

I feel like I am shooting a totally different sport.

And, so much to learn. After 25 years of USPSA I am really excited about going to my next match.

Just thoughts.

jon

On 3/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, hlpressley said:

Why not? Seeems like it would be a pretty significant advantage over a longer barrel with ports, walls, etc.

People don’t want to deal with the hassle of a Form 4 perhaps? 

Going back to the beginning? Because getting your arm out on the handguard and controlling the gun is an advantage on splits and transitions.

SBRs are slower except when you’re in really tight quarters, which you don’t actually see *that* often.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

As others have mentioned, SBRs are an advantage when your stages are tight, have leans, ports and walls, etc. where you can exploit the shorter length. At my local club, you'd swear our stage designers despise PCCs, as many stages are set up like that.

Another pretty important factor is your body type. I'm 5' 6" with a wingspan of 66".  So for me, an 8" barrel works great (when my MPX isn't malfunctioning, but that's another topic).

MPX_SBR.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

It's great for local matches but the second you want to travel to another state for it, it becomes a pain in the butt.

It's not too bad.  You fill out ATF form 5320.20, and fax or email it to NFAFax@atf.gov     Every time I've submitted one to the ATF via email for out of state matches, it's taken 1 week to receive the response.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:40 PM, SergioSF said:

As others have mentioned, SBRs are an advantage when your stages are tight, have leans, ports and walls, etc. where you can exploit the shorter length. At my local club, you'd swear our stage designers despise PCCs, as many stages are set up like that.

Another pretty important factor is your body type. I'm 5' 6" with a wingspan of 66".  So for me, an 8" barrel works great (when my MPX isn't malfunctioning, but that's another topic).

I'm 6'3" and I still prefer to shoot my SBR. It's handy in tight spaces and I tuned it to be quite soft. As a bonus, the guys that hate PCC REALLY hate me enjoying all the extra fun of a shorty until they get to shoot it too 😂

I haven't had any issues with my JP GMR-15 SBR. Usually I run 2-3 shooters a match on it. Last night we ran a shoot house stage about 20 times with 5-6 people all using their own ammo. Did I mention you can get red accents? 

red.jpg

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

It's not too bad.  You fill out ATF form 5320.20, and fax or email it to NFAFax@atf.gov     Every time I've submitted one to the ATF via email for out of state matches, it's taken 1 week to receive the response.

Plus, you only have to do it once a year for each place you want to go, so if there’s a range close to you but across state lines, you only have to fill it out at the beginning of the season and you’re good to go for multiple matches. 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:43 AM, PocketPistol said:

ATF said in 2017 that it isn't illegal to shoulder lacking other intent e.g. permanent attachment, removing strap, etc. Of course they can reverse this whenever they want as they are doing with bumpstocks.

“With respect to stabilizing braces, ATF has concluded that attaching the brace to a handgun as a forearm brace does not ‘make’ a short-barreled firearm because … it is not intended to be and cannot comfortably be fired from the shoulder.” The letter continues: “Therefore, an NFA firearm has not necessarily been made when the device is not re-configured for use as a shoulder stock — even if the attached firearm happens to be fired from the shoulder.”

I agree that uspsa should make it legal to use a brace, it simplifies carrying across state lines. It doesn't give the competitor any advantage vs. a stock.

I have an MPX SBR I used in competition, but bought a JP with pinned and welded comp to avoid having to file paperwork when I leave my state.

I think it is legal in USPSA to use a brace...however doing so would suggest the user is using a pistol, not a rifle; requiring a holster.  Good luck finding a holster for a pistol braced AR.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, p7fl said:

I am about to Efile a 16 down to a 10 1/2. All my ARs are 10 1/2 to 11 1/2. The 9 is the only 16 and it is heavy compared to my others.

So far the only negative I've read is stability. Heavier gun=easier fup shots.

Any other negatives I should reflect on before the papers go in ?

DVC

jon

I thought ATF quit doing E file 

4 hours ago, Big Dog Howie said:

I thought ATF quit doing E file 

They restarted last fall, but only for the Form 1.  Both individual and trust can use it.  You do need to send in a set of prints after submitting the form.

I started in PCC when it first was a thing with a 16" gun and kinda hated it. Too much acrobatics to get it around walls, ports, whatever. So I recently SBR'ed the PCC and trimmed it down to an 11" barrel -- SBR efile took 11 days btw. Now it's a totally different gun. The recoil is slightly different but honestly not that much worse, and now I can actually move the gun around things without feeling like I'm swinging a longsword in a phonebooth. I'm a big fan of shorter PCC's now. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

In both PCC and in 3-Gun you never see an SBR finishing in the top 10 at a high level match.

People don't use X, so obviously X is bad because it ranks low. Hmm... I'll really have to go think on that.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:02 AM, lcambre said:

They restarted last fall, but only for the Form 1.  Both individual and trust can use it.  You do need to send in a set of prints after submitting the form.

Thanks for the info,i saw they are excepting Form 1 I may do a couple of SBR's I'm reading 3 weeks with e-file for approvals

10 hours ago, Big Dog Howie said:

Wow!!! really dang how come suppressors aren't that fast 270 days now

Suppressors use a different antiquated processing method involving both moon phase and the roman calendar. The sooner we abolish the NFA the better.