Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Bmans45

2011 limited spring

I have a couple of questions . I  have a used 2011 .40 tactical I am going to shoot in limited major power factor . My bullets are running about a 170 .

First question 

What spring do you guys suggest ? I don’t want it to heavy but I don’t want to beat the slide to death eaither . 

Sexond question 

How often do you replace them usually ? 

Thanks 

11lb or 12lb. Steven Sanders (limited GM who wins) swears by Sprinco springs. I've always just used wolff variables. Put up a uspsa target or any piece of cardboard. Put 3 or 4 strips of duct tape horizontal on the target evenly spaced. Use the same aiming point for each spring. Also shoot some quick shooting drills on the clock a few times with each spring and take note of your shots. When I first started shooting my edge I thought a 10lb spring felt the best and I would have kept using it except I shot a match with it and noticed all my shots were stringing high. I couldn't grip the gun down enough to shoot accurately with the sight picture I needed using a 10lb. I put a 12lb wollf variable in and thats what I shot.

Some people say replace every 5k rounds... I'd just do it once a year. The springs should really last longer than that. Keep an eye where the slide/spring plug bottoms out in the frame for wear, right where the guide rod sits.

I just replaced my recoilmaster with a 12lb spring and tooless guide rod. Gun runs great but going to get an 11lb and test it with my reloads and some freedom munitions ammo. The springs I’ve been using are the Wolff variables and seem to be holding up 

So I got a 12 and a 11 Wolff . I tested them both and they were right on. Tried both and went with the 11 variable . I Shot it in a match Saturday and it ran great . I went with the 11 because I am using reloads and they make major power but just at 170ish . That’s for the help 

I ran a 10 in my 6 inch gun. An 11# (or was it 12) variable in my 5" feels best

I run a 12# that I got from Dawson. I believe it is a Wolff and I’m shooting 40 major.

Posted (edited)

14lb Wolff variable spring, 23lb Wolff main spring. Shooting 175 PF 165gr loads. I replace my recoil springs once a year.

Edited by ksy1
Forgot comment

Running 10# variable Wolff springs to test them out.  So far so good, shoots flat not signs of frame to slide issues.