Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 limited spring

Bmans45

I have a couple of questions . I  have a used 2011 .40 tactical I am going to shoot in limited major power factor . My bullets are running about a 170 .

First question 

What spring do you guys suggest ? I don’t want it to heavy but I don’t want to beat the slide to death eaither . 

Sexond question 

How often do you replace them usually ? 

Thanks 

11lb or 12lb. Steven Sanders (limited GM who wins) swears by Sprinco springs. I've always just used wolff variables. Put up a uspsa target or any piece of cardboard. Put 3 or 4 strips of duct tape horizontal on the target evenly spaced. Use the same aiming point for each spring. Also shoot some quick shooting drills on the clock a few times with each spring and take note of your shots. When I first started shooting my edge I thought a 10lb spring felt the best and I would have kept using it except I shot a match with it and noticed all my shots were stringing high. I couldn't grip the gun down enough to shoot accurately with the sight picture I needed using a 10lb. I put a 12lb wollf variable in and thats what I shot.

Some people say replace every 5k rounds... I'd just do it once a year. The springs should really last longer than that. Keep an eye where the slide/spring plug bottoms out in the frame for wear, right where the guide rod sits.

I just replaced my recoilmaster with a 12lb spring and tooless guide rod. Gun runs great but going to get an 11lb and test it with my reloads and some freedom munitions ammo. The springs I’ve been using are the Wolff variables and seem to be holding up 

So I got a 12 and a 11 Wolff . I tested them both and they were right on. Tried both and went with the 11 variable . I Shot it in a match Saturday and it ran great . I went with the 11 because I am using reloads and they make major power but just at 170ish . That’s for the help 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

Am I the only guy who likes a 14? I had issues with 12’s getting my ammo to go into battery. 

14 seems heavy.  I run the lightest that I can get to reliably feed.   Some guns that is a 11, most guns it has been a 12.  14 is what my akai came with, it dipped on return for me.  ymmv.

16 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

Am I the only guy who likes a 14? I had issues with 12’s getting my ammo to go into battery. 

so when i had an edge i liked the 12lb spring.  When i switched to a atlas titan i found my second shots were high.  I went to the 14 and that problem went away.  Im thinking the slide weight was the big difference.  The lighter slide didnt bring the gun back down.  So no your not the only guy that likes 14lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that 12# is what most shooters like.  I shot Ltd for many years and I used 12# Wolff (changed every 3k rds) and

did not see any damage anywhere on my pistol (40sw STI).  My Shok Buffs (CP Buffs) lasted at least 2k rds and could

have gone longer.  Slide weight does play a part in what weight recoil spring you use and like Edge40 said he went to a

14# from a 12# and it solved his problem.  It's worth buying a few different weight springs and trying them to find the

one that works best for you and your pistol.

• 3 weeks later...

A 12# recoil spring (ISMI) works just fine with 180 grain bullets and a 170 pf in my 40 cal STI Eagle- no issues. I change it about every 4500 rounds.

A 10# recoil spring (ISMI) works great with a pf of about 135 in my STI Eagle- no issues. Changed about every 4500 rounds.

Edited by verla
additional infro

• 1 month later...

I have a atlas Titan and hae a 11 pound spring. 
I have a sti back up with a 10 pound spring. 

I use the blue Wilson shock buffs in both and change them out every year. This is wayyy over kill but I like the idea of preventive maintenance. Springs are cheap, slides are not. 

• 2 months later...