Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Stock2 Extreme

reddirt

I'm looking at a Stock 2 Extreme. Every website I go to seems to have a different answer as to whether this pistol is D/A only, or D/A S/A. Does anyone know for sure? I posted this earlier, but I think it was in the wrong place, sorry.

10 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

The Stock 2 Xtreme is DA/SA.

Any particular why you are looking at the Xtreme? Most folks will build up a regular Stock 2 and get virtually the same performance.

Ah, that's probably a fair question for those with more knowledge than I. But, I was thinking, it's been through the custom shop, has all the good parts, should be ready to go. The downside is it's kind of pimpy looking.

Ah, that's probably a fair question for those with more knowledge than I. But, I was thinking, it's been through the custom shop, has all the good parts, should be ready to go. The downside is it's kind of pimpy looking.

You can duplicate the results of a Xtreme with a good polish job, spring upgrades, and some minor parts upgrades for far less than what the Xtreme sells for.

It doesn’t take a whole lot to get a Stock 2 with a nice trigger. Some do springs only, others get Xtreme parts and upgrade the hammer and trigger.

Side note, now that Eric Grauffel is with CZ, are they going to have a fire sale ;)

14 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

You can duplicate the results of a Xtreme with a good polish job, spring upgrades, and some minor parts upgrades for far less than what the Xtreme sells for.

It doesn’t take a whole lot to get a Stock 2 with a nice trigger. Some do springs only, others get Xtreme parts and upgrade the hammer and trigger.

Side note, now that Eric Grauffel is with CZ, are they going to have a fire sale ;)

Thanks for all that. I started out likeing the Stock 2, then the Limited, then the Limited Custom, now the Extreme guns. Tanfo makes so many, it's hard to pick one. But I do appreciate the help.

28 minutes ago, reddirt said:

Thanks for all that. I started out likeing the Stock 2, then the Limited, then the Limited Custom, now the Extreme guns. Tanfo makes so many, it's hard to pick one. But I do appreciate the help.

Also remember that the standard stock 2’s are chromed that pimpy ceracote is gonna look doo doo after a few 100 draws :) 

18 minutes ago, norcalplinker said:

Also remember that the standard stock 2’s are chromed that pimpy ceracote is gonna look doo doo after a few 100 draws :) 

That's what I was thinking. Why put the good stuff (hard chrome)on a mid priced pistol, then make the top end guns look like a rattle can Saturday night special? All I can say is they didn't call me.

2 hours ago, reddirt said:

Getting a regular stock 2 from patriot defense with their work done to it since you don't have the knowledge will both be cheaper and better job on trigger than the xtreme.

Edited by Polymer

Getting a regular stock 2 from patriot defense with their work done to it since you don't have the knowledge will both be cheaper and better job on trigger than the xtreme.

^^^ this, I have two, one match gun and one backup with the whole patriot kit, they are nearly identical in trigger and even after two seasons of use the match gun looks just as new as my backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Polymer said:

I'll check into that, I do like the idea of hard chrome. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, norcalplinker said:

^^^ this, I have two, one match gun and one backup with the whole patriot kit, they are nearly identical in trigger and even after two seasons of use the match gun looks just as new as my backup.

Thanks, you guys are making me think. Appreciate that.

10 hours ago, norcalplinker said:

Not in my experience.  I've been rocking the Xtreme for a couple years now, and a LOT more than a few 100 draws, and the finish is pristine and still looks like new.  Unless you're running a stainless steel holster, wear on the pistol finish is not an issue.  The cerakote on the Xtreme is top notch. 

11 hours ago, reddirt said:

This I will say, if you're willing to do the work on your gun yourself, and do it correctly and with great attention to detail, there's no better way to get the smoothest function.  Better than ANY gunsmith is going to do for you, since you'll be able to spend a lot more time on it than they can.  The box-stock Xtreme is definitely a LOT better than the box-stock Stock 2, but it's nowhere near as good as a worked-over Stock 2.  There's a lot of great resources out here to get you started, and @MemphisMechanic made a great series of YouTube videos on it a couple years ago, I'd say watch those and see if it looks like something you want to tackle.  I don't remember exactly, but if I recall the stock trigger pull weights on my Xtreme were something like 3-4 lb. SA and 7-8 lb. DA, and the Stock 2 was 4-5 lb SA and 10 lb. DA.  After reworking and a lot of shooting, the Xtreme (which is my match gun) is now 1.7 lb. SA and 4.8 lb. DA.  And it's not just spring weights that are lighter, all of the polishing makes a HUGE difference.  The trigger pull weight does make it easier to shoot, but IMO the smooth function is even more important, both for ease of shooting as well as reliability.  You can do exactly the same thing to a standard Stock 2 and get the same function, there's nothing in the Xtreme that you can't duplicate or improve upon with a standard Stock 2, it just won't look as cool as the Xtreme.  And it DOES look cool, mine has been a conversation piece at matches ever since I got it, whereas when I shoot my standard Stock 2 at some practice matches it's just another nickel-plated sissy pistol! 😉  

If you're NOT willing to do the work yourself, then have a competent gunsmith do it.  Patriot Defense does a great job and makes aftermarket parts.  If you have someone in your area who is shooting Tanfos, ask around, you might find someone locally who can do it or even better, help you do it.  

Had both (now in the CZ camp). For Europe Xtreme has an advantage (no polishing allowed). For the rest: equal. MM video covers it all and a 2 lbs trigger is easily available if you follow the video instructions. 

Tip: do not try a CZ S2 or S1 with CGW parts and never, never try a CZ TSO... I did and after owning 6 Tanfo's I don't have them anymore...

I have an S2X and honestly I would just buy a regular Stock 2, and upgrade than buy the S2X again.

I got mine for waaaay cheaper because of luck, but yeah...get the stock 2, and either send it in to get worked over, or buy some xtreme parts, and polish the s#!t out of it, and call it good.

11 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

This I will say, if you're willing to do the work on your gun yourself, and do it correctly and with great attention to detail, there's no better way to get the smoothest function.  Better than ANY gunsmith is going to do for you, since you'll be able to spend a lot more time on it than they can.  The box-stock Xtreme is definitely a LOT better than the box-stock Stock 2, but it's nowhere near as good as a worked-over Stock 2.  There's a lot of great resources out here to get you started, and @MemphisMechanic made a great series of YouTube videos on it a couple years ago, I'd say watch those and see if it looks like something you want to tackle.  I don't remember exactly, but if I recall the stock trigger pull weights on my Xtreme were something like 3-4 lb. SA and 7-8 lb. DA, and the Stock 2 was 4-5 lb SA and 10 lb. DA.  After reworking and a lot of shooting, the Xtreme (which is my match gun) is now 1.7 lb. SA and 4.8 lb. DA.  And it's not just spring weights that are lighter, all of the polishing makes a HUGE difference.  The trigger pull weight does make it easier to shoot, but IMO the smooth function is even more important, both for ease of shooting as well as reliability.  You can do exactly the same thing to a standard Stock 2 and get the same function, there's nothing in the Xtreme that you can't duplicate or improve upon with a standard Stock 2, it just won't look as cool as the Xtreme.  And it DOES look cool, mine has been a conversation piece at matches ever since I got it, whereas when I shoot my standard Stock 2 at some practice matches it's just another nickel-plated sissy pistol! 😉  

If you're NOT willing to do the work yourself, then have a competent gunsmith do it.  Patriot Defense does a great job and makes aftermarket parts.  If you have someone in your area who is shooting Tanfos, ask around, you might find someone locally who can do it or even better, help you do it.  

Hey Tanfastic, thank you so much for your time, that is some really good information, and it is appreciated. I think when I said "those more knowledgeable than I," that was misunderstood. I do have the tools, and skills, I just don't have knowledge of this particular pistol, and it's parts, but I have watched MM's video's, and it's just a matter of getting into it. Maybe I should have said, "don't have the knowledge yet." I'm with you on the polishing though, I like to stone everything first, get it square and flat, get the tool marks and burrs out, then polish. But it sounds like with the Etreme it's about half done, and you start with better parts, but that's another thing I don't know, xtreme this and that vs. standard parts. I will get it figured out. Another thing with the Xtreme, you start out with 3 more mags and baseplates. I think I may have a deal on an Xtreme for just a couple hundred more than the Stock2. And it's new. We'll see.

4 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Had both (now in the CZ camp). For Europe Xtreme has an advantage (no polishing allowed). For the rest: equal. MM video covers it all and a 2 lbs trigger is easily available if you follow the video instructions. 

Tip: do not try a CZ S2 or S1 with CGW parts and never, never try a CZ TSO... I did and after owning 6 Tanfo's I don't have them anymore...

I went the other way, had a few CZ's, still have an old Champion. I won't argue which is best. Thanks though

1 hour ago, BigAm said:

I have an S2X and honestly I would just buy a regular Stock 2, and upgrade than buy the S2X again.

I got mine for waaaay cheaper because of luck, but yeah...get the stock 2, and either send it in to get worked over, or buy some xtreme parts, and polish the s#!t out of it, and call it good.

Everybody keeps saying that. Thanks

43 minutes ago, reddirt said:

Hey Tanfastic, thank you so much for your time, that is some really good information, and it is appreciated. I think when I said "those more knowledgeable than I," that was misunderstood. I do have the tools, and skills, I just don't have knowledge of this particular pistol, and it's parts, but I have watched MM's video's, and it's just a matter of getting into it. Maybe I should have said, "don't have the knowledge yet." I'm with you on the polishing though, I like to stone everything first, get it square and flat, get the tool marks and burrs out, then polish. But it sounds like with the Etreme it's about half done, and you start with better parts, but that's another thing I don't know, xtreme this and that vs. standard parts. I will get it figured out. Another thing with the Xtreme, you start out with 3 more mags and baseplates. I think I may have a deal on an Xtreme for just a couple hundred more than the Stock2. And it's new. We'll see.

The Xtreme does already have the good 1-piece sear in it, so that's a plus, it's worth $120.  The trigger bar is also slick, but no slicker than you can make a standard trigger bar, so no real value there.  And if you like the flatter Xtreme trigger, that's a plus too.  Personally, I didn't like the extra reach so I swapped it out for a standard curved trigger.  I think if you can get a deal on the Xtreme it's worth considering, all of the "just get a standard Stock 2" calls are purely based upon price.  The Xtreme IS better, it's just a matter of what that is worth to you.  

24 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

The Xtreme does already have the good 1-piece sear in it, so that's a plus, it's worth $120.  The trigger bar is also slick, but no slicker than you can make a standard trigger bar, so no real value there.  And if you like the flatter Xtreme trigger, that's a plus too.  Personally, I didn't like the extra reach so I swapped it out for a standard curved trigger.  I think if you can get a deal on the Xtreme it's worth considering, all of the "just get a standard Stock 2" calls are purely based upon price.  The Xtreme IS better, it's just a matter of what that is worth to you.  

It's always about perspective. I understand the idea of getting the Stock2, then picking and choosing what you personally want to upgrade, but by the time it's all said and done, maybe you should have started out with something closer to what you wanted anyway. And there is joy in building it yourself, been there done that. We'll see what happens, but I do agree with those that say the Xtreme isn't worth the difference in price, which is close to 800.00, but if the difference is 200.00, that a different ballgame. Again, thanks for your input.

If you can get a good deal on an extreme it’s probably worth it if you like the finish. I just don’t like the finish on the stock 2 extreme and for $300 extra the pro shop fitted all the necessary upgrades and polished all the internals.