Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson front sight option paralysis....

fmiller

I would like to put a fiber front sight on my Witness match. Dawson gives you a plethora of width and height options.

I'm shooting at steel plates at 25-yds, my eyesight at close distances is less-than-great, and I'd like to keep using the original adjustable rear sight.

Can any of you give me tips for the width/height I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Some like the super-narrow front (.090, .100) for distant targets especially, such as the 25yd plates that you're talking about since it covers up less of the target.  I've been running the .100 and while I do think there's an advantage along those lines on distant targets, I don't necessarily like it overall for function when shooting USPSA stages.  It's more difficult to pick up the sight in fast transitions compared to the wider .115 I was using previously, and I may go back at some point.  If all I was shooting was 25 yard plates, then I'd stick with the narrow one.

I use a .100" wide for everything when I can get it. I find that when you make a nice fat "bulb" on the back of the fiber optic, it appears to be larger and brighter. 

As far as height goes, I had Patriot Defense put a .140" on mine (suggested) as I wanted the rear blade towards the bottom of travel. After shooting it a few times I went to a .180" × .100".  The rear blade is only a few clicks off the bottom.

Best way to not waste $$ is to shoot it with the factory sight then measure. At least shoot it, find where it is hitting with the rear where you'd like it to be, then use Dawson's calculator. I went with the next taller size that the calculator suggests and have been happy with it. 

Regardless, be gentle with the file when fitting it, if necessary, and use plenty of glue (Loctite 620). Dawson's screw is a tiny little thing......

I have a .150 tall x .115 wide on my Stock 2 which I LOVE the look of, but its maxed out as far as adjustment goes which is fine.

Then I have a .160 tall x .100 wide on my Stock 3 and Lim Pro. Both rear sights are turned all the way down as well, and POA vs POI is spot on. You should be A OK going with anything between a .150 and .180 tall sight depending on which width you like, and what width youd like. I personally love the look of the .115 wide front sight, but most people like the .100 better it seems. I dont mind it, but its not my preferred.

I went with .125 since it was the lowest one closest to the factory width as I like a "full" sight picture.  I think the .120" was .015" thinner.

I don't "Shoot through the dot" like a lot of people, I "cut the bullseye in half" so I still had to raise my rear just a little bit to hit POA/POI at 15yds.

I actually installed two, one in my Stock II and one in my Stock III.  Had a hell of a time with the Stock II, both getting the factory sight out and the new one in.  When the new one went in it shaved the side of the sight the full length and I had a metal "peel" to throw away.

Stock III came right out and went right in.

Edited by FALAR

I pay the extra $24 and get these in the wider 3mm width https://patriotdefense.com/xtreme-fiber-optic-front-sight/ . Just do not like the Dawson base design for use with a Tanfo. I zero my gun and then measure height of the front sight and use that as my guide for what height to purchase.

If you get a Dawson be aware that Dawson measures height from the top of the sight to the top of the slide and others measure the overall height of the sight out of the gun. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

3mm is the stock width for the regular fixed sight.  I measured mine at .118" which is what made me go with the Dawson .125" x .115" since the .120" tall was only .100" wide.

I thought about the Xtreme sights but it seemed every post I could find people preferred the Dawson.