Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Open Gun Build- Options and Preferences

Posvar

New Limcat 9mm major build is underway but I need to make some decisions on the upper soon.

What is your preferred set up and why? 

1) Standard barrel with regular comp

2) Standard barrel with turbo comp 

3) Hbar barrel with standard comp

4) Hbar barrel with turbo comp

5) Hybrid barrel with turbo comp 

9 hours ago, Posvar said:

New Limcat 9mm major build is underway but I need to make some decisions on the upper soon.

What is your preferred set up and why? 

1) Standard barrel with regular comp

2) Standard barrel with turbo comp 

3) Hbar barrel with standard comp

4) Hbar barrel with turbo comp

5) Hybrid barrel with turbo comp 

I went with the Hbar with turbo Amy Limcat shoots very very flat. But I am also shooting 38 Super Comp, which helps. The nice thing about the Heavy Barrels is they are tungsten carbide and thus, heavier still. This helps with the weight balance, where the Limcat will not be front heavy. My feels perfectly balanced in my hand despite being the long barrel version. 

I would pick Julian's brain a little bit more. He will be honest and up front with you regarding your decisions. His ideas and knowledge is spot on.

4 hours ago, yigal said:

i prefer simple set. easy to find replacement parts and without any complicated problems. maybe it will work not like turbo hybrid but it works 100%.

no  holes in barrel and no hybrid barrel.

I would be careful with changing things on one of Johnny's guns. He hand crafts each and every one, so thinking that you can just change barrels would be a mistake. They are custom fit to each other that takes many hours. Also, if he learns that any other gunsmith has worked on one of his guns, he will not touch it. If any customer ever has any problems, you just let Johnny know and he will make it right. You want to change something on your own or through another gunsmith, you're on your own period. The guys at Limcat are VERY experienced and they know their builds. 

My history so far with Limcat Open gun..

First was a Phantera that was Hbar with regular comp and plastic grip. It shot extremely flat and soft. 

Second was a Phantera with standard barrel that was accurailed and had regular comp. It shot very well but not as nice as the first. 

Third was a Beastcat with turbo comp and it was entirely different. It was not as “flat” but was super fast to cycle and balanced well. 

I have shot open guns enough rounds now that I want fast to cycle and return to zero over chasing the flat and soft dream. 

Julian guided me very well on my limited gun search and I ended up with Hbar 5.5” Perfect Sight with metal grip and it shoots like a 9mm! Not sure how much that type carries over to open gun. 

I will call Julian today and pick his brain. 

Having shot all the combos you listed, i have the H bar w/ turbo comp in all of mine.  The extra weight up front is very well balanced on mine with a steel grip and their magwell .They are so flat i get accused of shooting minor on a regular basis . Flat doesn't mean much to me as it does to others  , but a predicable dot return is the most important . I haven't shot the new designed stormcat yet but probably will get to soon enough .

The turbo hbar setups run real flat with the loads we've developed here locally in the bay area. I've shot my buddy's beastcat... it's a real fast cycling gun but definitely prefer the turbo hbar with steel grip.

Also I recently had one of Johnny's brass magwells put on my phantera and it flattened it out a little more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...