Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long vs Middy vs Shorty length open

Tcotter2629

1 hour ago, Tcotter2629 said:

I am looking to buy my first open gun and i am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the differences between the lengths performance wise.

Thanks

A lot of it is weight preferences and feeling how the recoil cycle is. 

But a lot of that can be adjusted with springs. 

Personally I think it is mostly cosmetic, with a slight lean towards the shorties for weight savings. But like all 1911s, the shorter you get, the reliability is more difficult to get perfect. If your smith knows what he is doing, it shouldn’t be a problem, but just FYI. 

My suggestion is to buy cheap for your first gun and find out what you like, then go custom for second or third gun 

Buy what you like the looks of, you WILL get used to whatever it is, once you shoot it enough.

Local master shot a shorty to master years ago, then all the other masters had 5.5 guns built so he did also.

Last year he had a shorty built again!  Guess what out of the same 3-4 guys, whoever shoots better that day wins.

Don't think the gun length made or makes a bit of difference.  FWIW

Try to find a used one locally, something you have seen run alot. Shoot the hell out of it, figure what you really like and wanna have. Then build your new one the season after. Just my 2cents 

You might love or hate different lengths. It's all personal preference. 

Edited by IDAHOAASHOOTER

I agree, buy which one you like the looks of and learn to shoot it. I have had atleast one in each length. I prefer a middy with steel grip because I like the balance, but I can shoot them all about the same. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:45 PM, BrianATL said:

Get one that works reliably you will get used to the timing of it.  All of them work I have tried all 3 lengths personally prefer the mid length

This! Everyone always told me to shoot an open gun at least 5k rounds and then decide what you think you prefer and like. It takes a bit to get used to the specific gun as far as impulse and cycle speed etc. Once you are in tune with that it’s a beautiful thing.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Try to find a used one locally, something you have seen run alot. Shoot the hell out of it, figure what you really like and wanna have. Then build your new one the season after. Just my 2cents 

You might love or hate different lengths. It's all personal preference. 

I agree lol this has had some awesome info. Thanks guys 

I took the advice you have been given and bought a good, used, fully custom 2011 Open gun.  I shot it for one season and bought a less expensive, used 2011 Open gun as a backup.  After two seasons I pretty much knew what I wanted and how I wanted the gun to handle.  So I started ordering parts for a custom build.  That build is now complete and it came out exactly as I had hoped.  I like it so much I'm going to sell the other two and build an identical copy of the new one as a backup.

I could never have done that if I had not shot the other guns, and friends, to decide what I liked and didn't.  It would be extremely unlikely you get the perfect custom gun, for you, on your very first try.  You are new to Open, and you don't know what you don't know.  There is a lot to learn and some of it is eye opening.

18 hours ago, BenAlpha said:

What do you consider medium?

I'm with Ben on this one. What does one consider Medium in inches? Short, Long and extra Long? It is about the barrel length, correct?