Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO 40SW Rear Sight

cheby

If the sight adjustment places the rear blade low (meaning with pressure on the bottom of the blade from the slide), the sight is subject to fatigue fractures.

Cheby, can you post a picture of fracture on the sight (meaning the edge where the sight broke)?IMG_0523.thumb.jpg.ed94c82d297e70fd8e2c86ca97091d25.jpg  Or, inspect then ends of the break.  If dull gray, and granular, the break is almost certainly caused by fatigue.  

The picture below show the result of no undercut on a fixed rear sight on my SP01.   The slide exerted pressure on the rear of the sight and the result is a fatigue fracture.  When the sight was replaced I ensured approximately 0.001"-0.002" clearance and the sight hasn't broken since.  Sight broke at 38,389 rnds.  The replacement sight has 29,133 and so far is doing fine.  

IMG_0522.jpeg

I just shipped the broken sight to CZ for a replacement so I no longer have it but it looks exactly as on yigal's post earlier.

BTW, I broke the fixed sight on my old production Shadow as well. Similarly to yours. Not sure about round count since I bought that gun used. Probably around 20-25K 

Edited by cheby

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the adjustable rear on my TS and I don't use buffers.  It never broke in maybe 20k rounds.  But, I had filed the notch wider to make it work better with the width of front sight that CZC recommended, which was way too wide.  I got a new narrower front sight and it was swimming in that notch.  It wrecked my accuracy at a major match.  So I put the big fixed rear sight back on and filed it down until it was hitting POA/POI.  And I have a much smaller notch now, just how I want it.  Having an Adjustable rear was nice but it is also pretty sweet to have something you know will never ever fail.  

• 9 months later...
Since I started using the buffers, I stopped breaking anything on my TSO's. Even the slide stops run over 10K now.  I have to replace the buffers all the time but I think it is worth it.

Any idea where to get the clear buffers? The black plastic cost me two stages wit malfunctions last week[emoji35]